Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 09, 2018, 07:07:51 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  1408 (2007)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: 1408 (2007)  ( 2788 )
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« : June 24, 2007, 07:03:58 PM »

A fun spook house (in this case room) movie that tends to go overboard in some of the supernatural experiences (a faxed child's clothing? A portrait of a scooner flooding the room?).

Anybody else watch it?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

« #1 : June 24, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »

I saw it, thought it was good, not great though. There were times where I felt I was watching a loose remake of Evil Dead which was cool, but like you say it goes overboard and decks it out with too much stuff. Take out a few sequences here and there and a slightly more serious tone (there were times where I felt the character was taking everything a little too lightly), then it would've been a much more effective thriller. A lot of reviews I've heard say that it's "actually scary" unlike torture-type flicks of recent years like Saw and Hostel, but I think this movie had just a lot of "jump-scares" that really didn't have a lasting effect for the movie as a whole. Though I guess it's just really hard to pull off supernatural stuff being scary. I give it a B-

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #2 : June 24, 2007, 07:26:17 PM »

I saw it, thought it was good, not great though. There were times where I felt I was watching a loose remake of Evil Dead which was cool, but like you say it goes overboard and decks it out with too much stuff. Take out a few sequences here and there and a slightly more serious tone (there were times where I felt the character was taking everything a little too lightly), then it would've been a much more effective thriller. A lot of reviews I've heard say that it's "actually scary" unlike torture-type flicks of recent years like Saw and Hostel, but I think this movie had just a lot of "jump-scares" that really didn't have a lasting effect for the movie as a whole. Though I guess it's just really hard to pull off supernatural stuff being scary. I give it a B-

With all the alone time the main character gets and the camera constantly on handheld mode..."Evil Dead" popped into my head once or twice as well.

I like to call jump-scares "Cheap scares". They are very easy too pull off. Just have about 10 seconds of silence then have a loud noise penetrate the audience's ears.

This movie had too much of them.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3 : June 24, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »

A fun spook house (in this case room) movie that tends to go overboard in some of the supernatural experiences (a faxed child's clothing? A portrait of a scooner flooding the room?).

Anybody else watch it?
Almost every week for the last 30 years.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #4 : June 25, 2007, 03:49:46 PM »

I will not watch it since De-Railed sucked major eggs.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #5 : September 11, 2009, 03:50:04 AM »

Watched it a few years ago and would have given it a 7 then, I think, but tried again today and couldn't finish it (stopped some 15-20 minutes after Samuel L. Jackson leaves). Too much ''one man against a camera'' stuff, I just wasn't in the mood.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines