Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 08:33:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  An astonishing piece of work by Sergio Leone! I've finally seen it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An astonishing piece of work by Sergio Leone! I've finally seen it!  (Read 22421 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:56 PM »

I finally sat down and watched "Duck, You Sucker" in it's entirety tonight. Let me tell you something...I was blown away yet again by the master filmmaker himself, Sergio Leone! I cannot believe it took me this long to watch this GREAT, GREAT film.

From the first frame I was on the edge of my seat. Ennio Morricone's score (yet another MASTERPIECE), gets your attention from the start. As the film opens with Rod Steiger, you cannot help but notice that the character of Juan is a direct resemblance of Eli Wallach's Tuco from TGTBATU. What another great character if the long line of GREAT Leone characters. Steiger was sensational as the Mexican bandit! Rod Steiger's accent was spot on. At times he made you laugh, and other times you didn't know whether to like him, or hate him! Great acting.

How can you not forget James Coburn as the explosives expert John (Sean) Malroy! What a performance the great Colburn gave. At times you get lost in his character and really believe he's real. Coburn was the perfect choice here. The chemistry between Steiger and Coburn definitely rivals Eastwood's Blondie and Wallach's Tuco in my opinion. I was captivated by the two of them everytime they were together on screen.

This film in my opinion rivals any movie where explosions or action take place. Everytime the heard the phrase "DUCK, YOU SUCKER", I was like a little kid on the edge of my seat waiting in excitement for the dynamite to explode!!! And friends, did it ever!!!! We see possibly the best bridge explosion ever on screen, rivaling the bridge explosion in David Lean's "Bridge on the River Kwai." We possibly see the best train explosion rivaling David Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia." I was not aware I was going to see such great scenes when I sat down to watch this. Yes, I had a feeling I'd like it, but not to this extent.

In the end, after just watching this, I dunno where you place it among Leone's films in terms of greatness, but you can't argue with someone who would think it's the best. I still think "Once Upon a Time in the West" is his greatest achievement, but what he pulled off here is another masterpiece, filmmaking at it's best. This is another reason why Sergio Leone is arguably the greatest director there was, is, and ever will be, period.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:28:43 PM by TucumcariBound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »

It certainly grows on you as well. It gets better with each viewing.
You may miss a lot first time around.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 08:50:40 AM »

It certainly grows on you as well. It gets better with each viewing.
You may miss a lot first time around.

Yeah, there is definitely some questions I have about the film but I thought I'd watch it again first to understand it better. Firecracker, what a film though my friend! There is so much to love in this. I love your signature by the way! How did you do that?

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »

Now you must see this in a theater...

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:48:33 AM »

Glad you like it TB!  Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:53:40 AM »

What a performance the great Colburn gave. At times you get lost in his character and really believe he's real.

I did probably all the time...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 09:58:03 AM »

I too... Coburn wasn't acting, his charakters live.

(He's one of the few actors beliveable as a soldier, for example. When I saw Cross of Iron, I blieved he's Steiner and he's really a german soldier.)

And Sean... oh, my God. Terrific. His charakter has much more depth than MWNN. A real tragic hero. I felt so sorry when he...  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
And what a death...  Cry

"Does this unit have a soul?"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:06:25 AM »

I too... Coburn wasn't acting, his charakters live.

(He's one of the few actors beliveable as a soldier, for example. When I saw Cross of Iron, I blieved he's Steiner and he's really a german soldier.)

And Sean... oh, my God. Terrific. His charakter has much more depth than MWNN. A real tragic hero. I felt so sorry when he...  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
And what a death...  Cry

I really loved both these characters! The only thing I wish happened after Sean had gotten shot was when Juan was shooting the german soldier, I wish he yelled out in anger while shooting that jerk! It would of made for an even more powerful scene in my opinion.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »

I wish he yelled out in anger while shooting that jerk!

Did he yell when he was shooting after his children died? Huh

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »

Did he yell when he was shooting after his children died? Huh

No, I don't think he did. All we heard was gunfire from Sean's point of view. What a powerful scene that was. The camera panning across the floor at the dead bodies from Seans POV while we hear the gunfire. Powerfulful!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »

Very powerful. I especially like how the actual killing and shooting wasn't shown at all, and still we know what happened...

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 10:42:08 AM »

Very powerful. I especially like how the actual killing and shooting wasn't shown at all, and still we know what happened...

Yes, this was very brilliant on Leone's part not showing the actual shooting. Hearing it and showing us the dead bodies while this was going on was sad, but yet amazing at the same time.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »

How did you do that?

It was a present from TucoTheUgly.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 03:18:48 PM »

It was a present from TucoTheUgly.

Well Tuco The Ugly, I need those kind of presents! lol

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »

Well Tuco The Ugly, I need those kind of presents! lol

Yeah, I would love to get one of those moving signatures.

I think a moving signature of Harmonica shooting down the three dusters would be kickass.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM