Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:04:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  An astonishing piece of work by Sergio Leone! I've finally seen it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An astonishing piece of work by Sergio Leone! I've finally seen it!  (Read 22486 times)
piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »

You must have a dvd player on your pc or notebook (or a tv card to capture from external players) to capture the frames with the play software (WinDVD, PowerDVD or whatever), and a  gif animation software (search some freeware available for downoad on the net).
I have the Ulead gif animator. Tip:to have a good result isn't necessary to capture all the frames (24 per sec). In the Harmonica is 1 each 2 with a delay of 10/100 for each frame. Same for first part of Cheyenne-Jill where they are turning around (8/100 delay each of 41 frames), but when they are looking each other is a static scene so is enough 1 frame with Cheyenne and 1 with Jill with a delay of about 2,5 sec each.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »

Yeah, I don't have a dvd player on my pc. That's the problem for me right there. I do appreciate you doing that for me though, or us for that matter. Thanks again piribiriboing!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »

Can also be external player with usb2 cable. I have the Lacie external dvd burner/player "design by Porsche". Should be pretty cheap today.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 04:05:11 PM »

Can also be external player with usb2 cable. I have the Lacie external dvd burner/player "design by Porsche". Should be pretty cheap today.

Thanks piribiriboing!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 02:59:24 PM »

Phew! You make me want to try to make one for myself! I guess it should be Frank arriving to Sweetwater in the end... that even might go with my signature. Roll Eyes

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »

Phew! You make me want to try to make one for myself! I guess it should be Frank arriving to Sweetwater in the end... that even might go with my signature. Roll Eyes

Make one marmota! Wink

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2007, 04:07:42 AM »

Make one marmota! Wink

I will. Later. But I really will. I love that scene.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 08:39:37 AM »

I will. Later. But I really will. I love that scene.

Yes, that scene is up there with my favorite's of all time. I love the music, with him riding up to Harmonica from the distance, then the conversation that lays ahead is history. CLASSIC!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »

I think you already know it, but that was the scene where I finally knew I LOVED OUATITW... until then, it was a great film, enjoyable, beautiful scenes and everything, but at that moment it somehow finally all went together and made it the top of tops for me. (And then came the final showdown and that made it an indescribable top...)
Which is a bit strange, because that scene lacks that wonderful composition of the begining, Frank is blurred and the sequence where he's coming is so short... phew, but it's beautiful anyway! It has a feeling of destiny, not that I would believe in it much, but it's what it wants to achieve and it does.

I think that's what I love on OUATITW the most, and what makes it more than GBU is for me (while GBU will always stay the first Leone's film I saw and the one that made me crazy about the director; and the only film so far which I watched at least three days in a row... the first film which I knew I would love after first ten minutes and was more than right about it.) The story in OUATITW, and the film with it, is never complete until the end. The showdown in GBU is awesome and everything, but the story would eventually work even without it (very badly, I know, but can you see what I mean?). OUATITW would hardly work if something was left out. (So I'm glad I never saw the cut version.) Which makes it just perfect. Very balanced, I think.

Even Cheyenne's death, though very sad and undesired for the viewer Cry, makes sense in the whole story...
...or, maybe, in the whole thing, not story. It's more than just story, it's feelings and emotions and image and music and principles and so.

Eh. I could say more about it, but it would become too personal and hard to explain. And this is actually the wrong board to write it in, I should be in OUATITW board... you just can see how I love that film. Grin

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:43:18 AM by marmota-b » Logged

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »

I think you already know it, but that was the scene where I finally knew I LOVED OUATITW... until then, it was a great film, enjoyable, beautiful scenes and everything, but at that moment it somehow finally all went together and made it the top of tops for me. (And then came the final showdown and that made it an indescribable top...)
Which is a bit strange, because that scene lacks that wonderful composition of the begining, Frank is blurred and the sequence where he's coming is so short... phew, but it's beautiful anyway! It has a feeling of destiny, not that I would believe in it much, but it's what it wants to achieve and it does.

I think that's what I love on OUATITW the most, and what makes it more than GBU is for me (while GBU will always stay the first Leone's film I saw and the one that made me crazy about the director; and the only film so far which I watched at least three days in a row... the first film which I knew I would love after first ten minutes and was more than right about it.) The story in OUATITW, and the film with it, is never complete until the end. The showdown in GBU is awesome and everything, but the story would eventually work even without it (very badly, I know, but can you see what I mean?). OUATITW would hardly work if something was left out. (So I'm glad I never saw the cut version.) Which makes it just perfect. Very balanced, I think.

Even Cheyenne's death, though very sad and undesired for the viewer Cry, makes sense in the whole story...
...or, maybe, in the whole thing, not story. It's more than just story, it's feelings and emotions and image and music and principles and so.

Eh. I could say more about it, but it would become too personal and hard to explain. And this is actually the wrong board to write it in, I should be in OUATITW board... you just can see how I love that film. Grin

I have the same exact feelings towards this film as you do marmota. I fell in love with this film the first time I seen it as a kid. I was so blown away it instantly became my favorite film ever, and it still is till this day. That will never change. This is the wrong board to be saying this as you said so I'll just stop here and keep it short.  Wink

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »

Could somebody make me a moving signature too?  Kiss Please...  Smiley

I thought FAFDM, and... something with Indio, of course...  Embarrassed Wink

(Tucumcari, I don't think it's nice, you laughin'...  Evil)

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:09:22 PM by Jill » Logged

"Does this unit have a soul?"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2007, 01:35:07 AM »

(Tucumcari, I don't think it's nice, you laughin'...  Evil)

I'm laughing! Cool

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2007, 03:49:26 AM »

I finally sat down and watched "Duck, You Sucker" in it's entirety tonight. Let me tell you something...I was blown away yet again by the master filmmaker himself, Sergio Leone! I cannot believe it took me this long to watch this GREAT, GREAT film.

From the first frame I was on the edge of my seat. Ennio Morricone's score, yet another MASTERPIECE, gets your attention from the start. As the film opens with Rod Steiger, you cannot help but notice that the character of Juan is a direct resemblance of Eli Wallach's Tuco from TGTBATU. What another great character if the long line of GREAT Leone characters. Steiger was sensational as the Mexican bandit! Rod Steiger's accent was spot on. At times he made you laugh, and other times you didn't know whether to like him, or hate him! Great acting.

How can you not forget James Coburn as the explosives expert John (Sean) Malroy! What a performance the great Colburn gave. At times you get lost in his character and really believe he's real. Coburn was the perfect choice here. The chemistry between Steiger and Coburn definitely rivals Eastwood's Blondie and Wallach's Tuco in my opinion. I was captivated by the two of them everytime they were together on screen.

This film in my opinion rivals any movie where explosions or action take place. Everytime the heard the phrase "DUCK, YOU SUCKER", I was like a little kid on the edge of my seat waiting in excitement for the dynamite to explode!!! And friends, did it ever!!!! We see possibly the best bridge explosion ever on screen, rivaling the bridge explosion in David Lean's "Bridge on the River Kwai." We possibly see the best train explosion rivaling David Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia." I was not aware I was going to see such great scenes when I sat down to watch this. Yes, I had a feeling I'd like it, but not to this extent.

In the end, after just watching this, I dunno where you place it among Leone's films in terms of greatness, but you can't argue with someone who would think it's the best. I still think "Once Upon a Time in the West" is his greatest achievement, but what he pulled off here is another masterpiece, filmmaking at it's best. This is another reason why Sergio Leone is arguably the greatest director there was, is, and ever will be, period.

TB, my friend, I have just now, for the first time, been on this (your) thread and I have read it all.

My english is not good enough so that I could write some "long text" about what all do I think about this film (and all Leone`s films, too), so I just going to say that when I read your comment I remembered some scenes from the film (I didn`t watch it for some time - don`t have my own DVD or VHS copy) and I got "shudders down my spine" (I hope that the expression is correct, but if not, I hope that you will understand what I mean, anyway). Afro

Great film, great Leone, great everything...!  Smiley

ABSOLUTE PERFECTION! Afro    PURE ART! Afro

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:34:27 PM by Bill Carson » Logged
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »

You write fine Bill Carson, no worries buddy!!! You are right about the film, it is near perfection, a brilliant piece of work.

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2007, 02:36:52 PM »

You write fine Bill Carson, no worries buddy!!! You are right about the film, it is near perfection, a brilliant piece of work.

Yeah, absolutely true: a brilliant piece of work! Afro

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM