Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 01:59:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  So what title best fits this film?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what title best fits this film?  (Read 41524 times)
VC2020
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 10:58:16 PM »

I also like Duck, You Sucker although it sounded weird at first but it's the title I've been accustomed to. The other two titles are also cool but not as cool as DYS.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »

I also like Duck, You Sucker although it sounded weird at first but it's the title I've been accustomed to. The other two titles are also cool but not as cool as DYS.

Welcome to the Board VC2020! Smiley

Yes, Duck, You Sucker does sound a bit absurd when you first hear it, but it definitely grows on you. I love the title now!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
VC2020
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 11:15:04 PM »

Thanks for the welcome. I came to this part of the board after reading your post in the 8-Disc DVD thread.

I think it also keeps growing on you. I keep saying "Duck, You Suckers!" in my head because I think it's great the way Juan says it as he frees the prisoners.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 11:39:45 PM »

Thanks for the welcome. I came to this part of the board after reading your post in the 8-Disc DVD thread.

I think it also keeps growing on you. I keep saying "Duck, You Suckers!" in my head because I think it's great the way Juan says it as he frees the prisoners.

Hey no problem my friend! I think you'll find that you will love it on this forum. Everyone's friendly, and obviously well rounded in their Sergio Leone info and just movies in general.

You are right about "Duck, You Sucker" growing on you. A few friends here have mentioned the same thing about this film and it's true. I've been watching it again tonight and it's even better the second time around. There is so much to take in and it's hard to notice it all the first time around.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »

Here, on the forum, I use "Duck, You Sucker". When I speak about it in real life, I use "A Fistful of Dollars" 'cause that's what it's called on my DVD cover. On IMDb I use "DYS/FOD" just to make sure everyone understands what I mean. I never use "OUATTR", but I love how it links DYS to OUAT -films. Though, marmota has a good point on this, too.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 07:38:55 AM »

Once Upon a Time... The Revolution - Would probably be the best title for the film in English, although it is only the French version which carries this title

Duck You Sucker - This sounds very stupid, but it's the closest thing to the Italian title

A Fistful of Dynamite - From the start this was just a cash-in title. It also has a small (Duck You Sucker) beneath it, making it obviously a re-release title.

Some other titles for the film

Todesmelodie (Germany) - Literally translates to "Deathmelody" whatever that means.

Quando Explode a Vingança (Portugal) - Literally translates to "When the Revenge Blows Up": This has to be the most ridiculous title I've ever seen in my life!

I think it's best to stick with Duck You Sucker although I would have thought of a better title for the film myself.

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »

Giu' la testa is probably the first and real name. Leone probably referred to it with this name.
I do prefer: Il était une fois la Révolution.
BTW, I must say that the french version dubbing of Leone films is outstanding. I usually prefer  the english/american versions of films when american actors are involved, but I can watch a Leone film in either. Nothing is lost in the translation.
On the other hand, a Woody Allen flick is in my opinion unwatchable in french. Th classic Casablanca is a disaster also.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

I use DYS here, but I use Fistful of Dynamite when talking about it with other people because DYS is such a silly title IMO.

I think a good English title can be "Hit the Ground." It sums up the message of the film and doesn't sound silly.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »

Now that I think about it some more, I kind of love the "Once Upon a Time" title because it fits with the Once Upon a Time theme with 'West' and 'America' which Sergio intended it to do so. We have the 'Dollars' Trilogy and the 'Once Upon a Time' Triology. Both bloody brillant.

tintin
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 11:37:46 PM »

"Duck, You Sucker" is the first and only (american) title for this film.  Even though it may sound a bit strange, and possibly dirty, at first, it fits the dialog, and doesn't sound like a fourth Eastwood flick.  The title interested me enough at 15 to see it, and I got my 75 cents worth of great landsvcapes, hero-types (cool and hot-tempered), and fun.  A great Sundays's Leone film fest!

"Government is like a big baby with an unfillable mouth at one end and a total lack of responsibility at the other"-Ronald Reagan
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 06:54:47 AM »

According to Sergio Leone :

the first title was Once Upon A Time... The Revolution. This was the favorite title of Sergio leone. Then the producers told him that their was going to be confusions between his movie and anotehr one, by bertolucci (Prima Della Revolution i think but i'm not sure about it) and it became Duck, You Sucker (working title: Giu La testa, Coglione! sorry for the spelling i don't speak italian) . Then the movie failed in the US (remember Coburn saying "but the movie was released with Duck, You sucker" as a title so nobody came to see it), so it was released in the UK as Fistful Of Dynamite (a "very stupid title" according to Sergio), and i think they re-released it in the USA too, with the later title. i'm not too sure about the order of the releases in, the UK  and the USA, I've heard contradictory versions. But i'm sure about the begining, the order of the titles and what sergio wanted.

To be clear:
1) Once Upon A Time... The Revolution : was the first title, the one that sergio prefered, and was released only in France
2) Giu La testa coglione : decided with the producers befor the shooting. Liked it since it also fits with the movie.
3) Giu La testa became the italian title ; Duck, You Sucker stayed the english title for the first releases.
4) Fistful of Dynamite : last known title, hated by leone.

You guys should really look for an eventual translation of Conversations avec Sergio Leone, by Noel Simsolo (Conversations with Sergio Leone). In this book lie most of the informations that we are looking for on this board.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:56:56 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 07:15:22 AM »

Giu la testa is definitely the best title. I honestly think all of the English language titles are atrocious, but I find "Fistful of Dynamite" to be the least obnoxious. "Duck You Sucker" sounds like a blaxploitation film; given the movie's serious pretensions, it's hard to take it seriously with a title like that. "Once Upon a Time in the Revolution" just rubs me the wrong way, dunno why.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 07:18:59 AM »

Giu la testa is definitely the best title. I honestly think all of the English language titles are atrocious, but I find "Fistful of Dynamite" to be the least obnoxious. "Duck You Sucker" sounds like a blaxploitation film; given the movie's serious pretensions, it's hard to take it seriously with a title like that. "Once Upon a Time in the Revolution" just rubs me the wrong way, dunno why.

Well, say "Once Upon a time... the revolution",  and not "in the revolution", and it will rub you the good way Smiley

BTW, that's the one i prefer. But may be i'm biased, since it is the only title we know in France...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:20:07 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 08:10:46 AM »

Leone's preferred title for the English version of the film, according to Frayling, was Dock You Socker. Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:46 AM »

I just hate how the film goes around with three existing titles. To much confusion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM