Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:55:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I have the DVD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have the DVD  (Read 9295 times)
tarantino
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 10:58:04 AM »

I live in Holland so the dvd came out today. And like a true sergio leone western fan  Tongue I rushed to the store to buy the dvd.

I must tell this: the box is absolutly perfect, it`s the most beautiful dvd I have (including the The Godfather box).

Everything about this dvd is so cool, the menu is awesome, the extra`s are cool ( I liked the small interview with henry fonda alot), both video and audio is also very nice.

So to everyone: buy this dvd when it comes out in your country.

ps.: sorry about my english

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 04:39:35 PM »

I live in Holland so the dvd came out today. And like a true sergio leone western fan  Tongue I rushed to the store to buy the dvd.

I must tell this: the box is absolutly perfect, it`s the most beautiful dvd I have (including the The Godfather box).

Everything about this dvd is so cool, the menu is awesome, the extra`s are cool ( I liked the small interview with henry fonda alot), both video and audio is also very nice.

So to everyone: buy this dvd when it comes out in your country.

ps.: sorry about my english

Welcome aboard, tarantino!  Yeah, I have it on my Christmas list. Grin

PS: You write good English, it's just your punctuation that needs work.  Sorry to nitpick.  Tongue  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

Nothing like me has ever been on earth before!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 02:41:14 PM »

Hi, i also get the limited collector's edition box today (only available in germany i guess)

Here is a picture:

Its including an original harmonica and a Soundtrack Sample CD.

I love the DVD. Its the greatest Picture, i've ever seen from the Movie. Listen to the Audiocommentary. Very interesting and sometimes funny.

Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 05:39:12 PM »

Hi, i also get the limited collector's edition box today (only available in germany i guess)

Its including an original harmonica and a Soundtrack Sample CD.

I love the DVD. Its the greatest Picture, i've ever seen from the Movie. Listen to the Audiocommentary. Very interesting and sometimes funny.

Now I'm getting jealous. I pre-ordered the dvd from play.com the moment the release date was set, and it is in the mail now. It is only the movie, sadly. The double dvd, of course, with commentaries and documentaries and all...  But I loved the stash in the edition you have.  Lips Sealed

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
THX 1138
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 07:27:16 AM »

It..it...is a German movie??? (Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod)
Do the characters speak German? Damn, could have sworn Fonda was an American bloke. Cheesy

Please enter wise-crack, witty or philosophical remark here:
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2003, 03:51:07 PM »

It..it...is a German movie??? (Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod)
Do the characters speak German? Damn, could have sworn Fonda was an American bloke. Cheesy

No, pal, that's just the German name.  (Doesn't make a lot since to me; the title means "Play Me The Song of Death.")  Anyways, welcome aboard.  Grin

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2003, 09:39:56 PM »

The Song of Death obviously refers to Harmonica's tune.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2003, 04:07:41 AM »

The Song of Death obviously refers to Harmonica's tune.

I'm aware of that (I assume Frank says that in the flashback scene).  However, why that, and not "Einmal Im Westen", or something similar to that?  More of a point of curiosity than anything, I'm not going to kill anyone over it.

Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 10:26:25 AM »

Well some titles in Germany are different and some just a translation from the original. But "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" sounds much cooler to me than "Once upon a time in the West" did. Cool

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 12:22:14 PM »

Well some titles in Germany are different and some just a translation from the original. But "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" sounds much cooler to me than "Once upon a time in the West" did. Cool

Well, Spiel Mir Das Lied Vom Tod sounds better than the German translation of Once Upon A Time In The West.  It's a cool title, but I prefer the English one to avoid confusion.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 08:35:04 AM »

This is just hypothetic, but if you had to choose between the English titles 'Once Upon a Time in the West' and 'Play (me) the Song of Death' which would you choose.  It just occured to me that the second also could have been a cool title.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 10:52:57 AM »

Well, the movie did MUCH better at the box office in Germany than it did in the US, maybe the title had something to do with it.  I kind of like the German title, promises more violence.  From what I've heard, OUATITW has the equivalent cult/cultural touchstone status in Germany as GBU does in the States.

And for our German friends, wouldn't the Brothers Grimm version go, "Es war einmal im Westen"?

Wiedersehen Jungs!  That box set is way cool.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 02:03:15 PM »

"Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod" is since its release date a true classic in Germany. "The Good, the Bad and the ugly" is called "Zwei Glorreiche Halunken" and this title sounds also better than "Der Gute, der Böse und der Haessliche"

I guess that a lot of Western and old Cop Movies from Italy released with an different title and thats not always bad. A lot of movies were huge at the box office just because the title.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2003, 02:40:13 PM »

"Zwei Glorreiche Halunken" - who the hell is that?  

"Two Glorious Knuckleheads"?  Whoever gave GBU that title in German should be hung by a rope and tight - its got to hold the weight of a pig.   What, Angeleyes doesn't count?

With a title like that, I would wager that GBU did not do nearly as well in Germany as OUTITW - and to this day is probably not nearly as popular.  Nicht wahr?

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2003, 03:52:19 PM »

Well, the movie did MUCH better at the box office in Germany than it did in the US, maybe the title had something to do with it.  I kind of like the German title, promises more violence.  From what I've heard, OUATITW has the equivalent cult/cultural touchstone status in Germany as GBU does in the States.

And for our German friends, wouldn't the Brothers Grimm version go, "Es war einmal im Westen"?

Wiedersehen Jungs!  That box set is way cool.

Given the fact that twenty minutes was cut out of the US print, I would think that has something to do with it.

And, to your later post: the original title to GBU was "Two Magnificent Tramps", much like "A Fistful of Dollars" was "The Magnificent Stranger".

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM