Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:29:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  First DVD review
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First DVD review  (Read 3463 times)
kohlbek
Road Apple

Viva Volonte!

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2003, 10:52:59 AM »

Here's a link to what looks like the first review of the new OATIW DVD. Seems as if they've done a good job on the transfer.
http://www.dvdbreakdown.com/titles/onceuponatimeinthewest.html

Looking forward to next month!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 05:13:48 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 06:21:46 AM »

Friends,Yesterday  I bought and watched the OUTIW Paramount DVD, now available in France.
Its a jewel.
First the packaging: a desert-sand light beige color like Harmonica 's suits, on the cover a sentence from the film, another one from Sergio. You open it and the lovely face of Jill Mac Bain appears. She is cute with a a little bit scared look.Then you open again to see the evil face of Frank, and again for Cheyennes and Harmonica.I was surprised to find Harmonica at the fourth place but he is   at this place on every posters. May be why he was not the most famous star at this time?
Cheyennes face is cutted up and contains two things: a booklet with explainations and pictures and an old-fashion letter. Don't open it , it's only an announce for Indiana Jones DVD coming soon.

I only saw the film: great sound, precise picture, perfectly wide screen: a pleasure. Everybody seem younger and cleaner than in Tape or TV.

The only new scene for me is very short : after have been injured by Woody Strode,  Harmonica lays on the ground, opens his eyes and stands up.

Tonight I will watch the bonus. So long. Grin

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 08:41:19 AM »

That scene you mention about wounded Harmonica getting up, buttoning his coat to "sling" his injury, has been in the restored U.S. versions since the mid 1980s.  Saw in theaters in 1969 and saw this scene in 1985 at Art Theater, also in my copies made from friend's LaserDisc  and from Turner Classic Movies (both widescreen).  Other scenes restored back were Cheyenne's comment "But sons of bitches, yeah" after Harmonica says "there were no dollars in them days" after turning him in..

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 03:18:07 AM »

Aaronson, your kidding, you've not seen that before? Thats one of the reasons we all have slightly different perceptions of these films. When I first saw that sequence I had an interpetation that maybe, just maybe, Harmonica was an "Avenging Angel", and not a mortal, at the final shootout with Frank remember that when Franks asks at first who he is, Harmonica answeres the names of all Frank has killed.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 05:00:22 AM »

Aaronson, your kidding, you've not seen that before? Thats one of the reasons we all have slightly different perceptions of these films. When I first saw that sequence I had an interpetation that maybe, just maybe, Harmonica was an "Avenging Angel", and not a mortal, at the final shootout with Frank remember that when Franks asks at first who he is, Harmonica answeres the names of all Frank has killed.
CigarJoe,In France we have been very lucky, OUTIW was always shown complete at the theater,TV .I watched it for the first time in 69 at the theater and after  , often at  TV and I registered a VHS from TV. A french-speaking version  (halas)but without advertising-cut (incredible no?)

Same thing for OUATIA.

But the only "neverseenbefore" scene found in the recent dvds was Harmonica on the ground and the flashbacks in OUATIA .

Really I dont understand why this very short scene was never included.It's  avery powerful one showing a tough and undestroyableHarmonica loking like a wounded Lion..

aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 06:32:31 AM »

On Disc 1 I also watch the film with comments , its a wonderful "movie teaching" !
It's the first time I can enjoy comments about a Leone's film because there are  sub-titles in OUTIW DVD  (and NOT in OUATIA,, too bad) .
Sir Christopher Frayling is very precise and value-adding,  and others famous people also talk:   Bertolucci, Carpenter,Milius,Cox .. All are delivering  rich informations and comments.
            On disc 2,  I only watch the Documents : there are three separate documents which are in fact the same( cut I imagine for advertising reasons): Interviews with the same people I named  plus Tonino Delli Coli photo director, Gabriele Ferzetti  ,Claudia, Henry and .. Sergio in blue dressing gown .

At the beginning of the first document called : an Opera of Violence we can see the three-screen trailer (multi-screen were fashionable at this time, remember Thomas Crown..) whose I spoke in an other quote.

Claudia is very enthusiastic, Gabriele old and nostalgic, Milius... strong, Carpenter ..weak, Cox ..thin

OK, I stop, buy the Paramount DVD collector  Wink Wink

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM