Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:05:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Game (1997)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Game (1997)  (Read 3426 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:46:03 AM »

I remember my mother taking me to see this (I tagged along really) at the theatre one night during a visit to Las Vegas and I never forgot it.

Very impressionable to a ten year old (me) for it's bizarre storyline and creepy gimicks ( ventriloquist dummy hiding a message in it's mouth, television anchor who can speak directly to the viewer). One of the first "R" films I was allowed to see at the theatre, if not the first.

Millionare, Nicholas Van Orton (Michael Douglas), recieves a bizarre present from his brother on his birthday.
Though I don't remember the details I believe the present, which was really a message, claimed that Nicholas' kid brother was kidnapped and he must play a "seek" game or he will eventually be killed. Orton goes after the perpetrators only to find another note leading elsewhere and at one point, ends up buried alive in a cemetery south of the border.

The ending is a shock as you find out who was behind all this from the start.
Had I seen it today, for the first time, I might have guessed the ending an hour in.
I seem to remember Grace Slick's (who at the time I had a huge crush on and still do*) voice shrieking "white rabbit" during the closing credits.

I remember liking it very much then. I don't know if I would now. Which is why I don't ever want to see it again as I do have fond memories of it and don't wish to ruin the nostalgia.

*a big crush on this version http://www.fotobaron.com/blow_out/images/Grace-Slick.jpg of course *

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:54:03 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 07:53:07 AM »

I watched it yesterday for the first time and liked it very much.Although the ending was "highly" unbelievable (like the rest of the movie wasn't... Roll Eyes ) it was great.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »

I watched it yesterday for the first time and liked it very much.Although the ending was "highly" unbelievable (like the rest of the movie wasn't... Roll Eyes ) it was great.

Yes, even at my age (at that time) I found it unbelivable that they would know he would attempt suicide.
can you confirm if "White Rabbit" played at the end?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 10:49:25 AM »

I love The Game. David Fincher has yet to dissapoint me. This guy is one of the great young directors of his generation.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:01:41 AM »

This was an amazing movie. . . until the last ten minutes. I mean seriously, the fact that everything in the story was a ginormous practical joke ruined the movie for me. I mean absolutely ruined it. I wanted to kill somebody after it was over. Angry

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 08:17:24 AM »

This was an amazing movie. . . until the last ten minutes. I mean seriously, the fact that everything in the story was a ginormous practical joke ruined the movie for me. I mean absolutely ruined it. I wanted to kill somebody after it was over. Angry
Yeah,some parts became stupid when you watch that ending...Like when he got transported all the way to Mexico,or when he almost drowned in the cab or when they shot at him,it doesn't make any sense if it was all a joke because he could have easily been killed.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:03:55 AM »

This is a real long shot but it's something that has always bugged me and whilst thinking about it eating my lunch at work I thought I'd put the question out there!

In The Game (1997) with Michael Douglas there is a tiny clip of very old b&w footage that always gives me the creeps.
Sitting here now I cannot remember exactly which part of the film it's in but if memory serves correctly it is when Van Orton first goes to the staged entertainment company and fills out the forms / takes the visual tests and they record his reactions.
Anyway the clip I am thinking of is very short (2 - 3 seconds) and is of a face with closed eyes whose cheeks are filled with air as if they are in some kind of wind generator or air tight room that is filled with a blast of air
The expression on the face is pretty freaky.

As if any of you are gonna know what I'm talking about!!!!

Jeez, I'm going back to work

The Rat

PS - anyone know what I'm talking about, please....?

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »

can you confirm if "White Rabbit" played at the end?

I can. I here now confirm TWR played at the end of the movie. Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM