Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 11:44:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Has one sequence ever had so many brilliant moments in it?!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has one sequence ever had so many brilliant moments in it?!  (Read 3138 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »

The McBain Massacre Scene. Has a sequence ever been so brilliant?! I mean the buildup and the massacre itself is sensational. From the camera work, the acting, the atmosphere, and the musical score, have you ever seen anything this exceptional? This is one of the most brutal and sad scenes you will ever see, but from a technical standpoint, it's bloody beautiful. Am I right or what?!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »

right Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »

The shot I absolutely love is when McBain is looking out into the brush and the camera pans around and we hear and see the wind blowing the dust all around. This shot blows me away. It's the simplest shots that seem to be the most brilliant at times.

poderator
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 02:30:27 AM »

Yeah, and Frank's entrance along with his gang is one of the best entrance sequence I ever saw in the movies. Other is of course Harmonica's entrance: train, this time used as a curtain in the theaters, takes of, and we have the most powerfull scene ever: sound of Harmonica, and then movie starts. Cool

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »

It's a little masterpiece inside the movie. Afro

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »

Couldn't agree more.  When the cicadas/locusts stop chirping around my farm, you better believe I'm paying attention too, because I always think of that opening scene.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  When the cicadas/locusts stop chirping around my farm, you better believe I'm paying attention too, because I always think of that opening scene.

hahaha that's classic Sackett. It's amazing that such a scene like this would have such an impact on some of us. That's the magic of film.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:05:50 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »

It's a little masterpiece inside the movie. Afro

I totally agree! A masterpiece indeed.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »

Yeah, and Frank's entrance along with his gang is one of the best entrance sequence I ever saw in the movies. Other is of course Harmonica's entrance: train, this time used as a curtain in the theaters, takes of, and we have the most powerfull scene ever: sound of Harmonica, and then movie starts. Cool

Oh yeah, Frank's entrance is chilling, brilliant, and astonishingly masterful! The best entrace of any character ever, period.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:10:28 PM »

Among the many great things of that scene is how the camera slowly moves to reveal the villian. I remember watching an interview with Henry Fonda talking about the scene, saying Leone wanted a reaction to get the audience to go "Oh my god that's Henry Fonda killing those people!" and the audience are shown that Henry Fonda is the good guy they all loved, oh no. "Now that you've called me by name"

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »

Among the many great things of that scene is how the camera slowly moves to reveal the villian. I remember watching an interview with Henry Fonda talking about the scene, saying Leone wanted a reaction to get the audience to go "Oh my god that's Henry Fonda killing those people!" and the audience are shown that Henry Fonda is the good guy they all loved, oh no. "Now that you've called me by name"

Leone recieved the reaction from the audience he wanted, that's for sure!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM