Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 07:32:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  SL Encyclopedia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SL Encyclopedia  (Read 126300 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 10:47:47 PM »

Valerii, Tonino. Filmmaker who assisted SL on FOD and FAFDM, and is the director of record on MNIN (in fact, SL directed some scenes). His other SWs include Day of Anger and The Price of Power.

Valli, Romolo
. Dr. Viellga in DYS. Distinguished Italian actor whose many other films include The Leopard and The Garden of the Finzi-Continis.

Van Cleef, Lee. Col. Douglas Mortimer in FAFDM, and Sentenza/Angel Eyes in GBU. American character actor who, thanks to Leone's films, became a European film star. His first film role was as one of the baddies in High Noon. Full bio here: http://www.leevancleef.com/bio.htm

Vera Cruz (Robert Aldrich). Western starring Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster set (and filmed) in Mexico. Thought by many the prototype for SL’s Dollar pictures, it features two protagonists (one in white, one in black) in an uneasy alliance to capture a box of gold.

Viale Glorioso. Unproduced script by SL, based on his childhood experiences.

Vincenzoni, Luciano(born March 7, 1926) Respected Italian screenwriter and script doctor for some 65 films, all worked on between 1954 and 2000. He is probably best known for his scripts of For a Few Dollars More (1965) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly(1966), but he also wrote a great number of other SWs, including Death Rides a Horse and The Mercenary.  He also wrote the screenplay (from a story by Donati and Leone) for DYS (1971). As his reputation grew he was able to contribute to such international projects as Orca: The Killer Whale, Raw Deal (starring Arnold Schwarzenegger) and finally Malena (2000). The genesis of GBU probably goes back to one of Vincenzoni's earliest scripts, "La Grande Guerra" (1959).

Viva Villa! (film).

Volonte, Gian Maria
. Ramon Rojo in FoD, El Indio in FAFDM. Bio here: http://www.italica.rai.it/eng/cinema/biographies/volonte.htm

Wallach, Eli. Tuco in GBU. Wallach came to prominence in such films as Baby Doll and The Misfits, then notably as the bandit Calvera in The Magnificent Seven. After his wildly successful interpretation of Tuco, SL pursued him for the part of Juan Miranda in Giu la testa, but withdrew the offer in favor of Rod Steiger.

Warbeck, David
. Mallory’s friend in the flashbacks to Ireland, called Nolan in the script.

Warlock (film). Western starring Henry Fonda as a Wyatt Earp type, a hired gun who travels with sidekick Anthony Quinn and a faro table. Hired to clean up the town of Warlock, he soon finds he has competition from the local lawman (Richard Widmark). According to some, this was SL’s favorite Western.

Water motif
in OUATITW. According to The Anatomy of Criticism,“Water . . . traditionally belongs to a realm of existence below human life, the state of chaos or dissolution which follows ordinary death, or the reduction to the inorganic. Hence the soul frequently crosses water [e.g. the rivers Jordan or Styx] or sinks into it at death” (Frye 146). Morton’s goal (and we should heed the mort that is part of his name) is a vast, chaotic ocean; he is seeking limitless salt water, not Sweetwater. The water there does not represent a life-sustaining fluid, but rather the death that Morton (who has “tuberculosis of the bones”) is rushing toward. Although he never makes it to the Pacific, water is present at his demise: “he dies crawling like a snail towards a puddle in the middle of the desert—the urine of his own puffing and wheezing locomotive” (Frayling 260). The crashing waves on the soundtrack underscore the irony of the situation (Morton’s great ambition coming to so little), but also re-emphasizes the association of water and death.

But water imagery can have opposite associations, and in OUATITW, when water is linked to Jill, it represents life. Women generally are associated with water (for many reasons, one being that the womb is a "watery" place) just as men are associated with dry land. The fact that Jill is constantly linked with water in various forms (she's constantly in search of a bath) seems to suggest a *particular* identification between her and it. Since water is necessary for life and civilization, Jill, by bearing drinks to the boys at film's end, represents a nurturing presence. She is, if you will, the Mother of the coming age, the matriarch of a culture about to be born (exit Harmonica and the West). This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius (aka Jill's America).

Weisser, Thomas. Author of the highly unreliable Spaghetti Westerns—the Good, the Bad, and the Violent (1992). http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=3644.0

Weld, Tuesday. Carol in OUATIA.

"Western, Italian Style"
(1968). A behind-the-scenes documentary short about spaghetti westerns, narrated by Frank Wolff (who also appears in it). It includes footage of SL on location in Spain preparing OUATITW. The documentary probably was originally produced for U.S. television. http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=k5eRML8SUUo

Western Union
(Fritz Lang). Randolph Scott and Robert Young string telegraph wire for Dean Jaeger. There’s also an outlaw brother who causes trouble and precipitates a downer ending.

Williams, Treat. James Conway O’Donnell (Jimmy “Clean Hands”), corrupt labor organizer in OUATIA.

Winchester ’73 Anthony Mann Western in which Jimmy Stewart is on a quest to recover a stolen rifle. Another possible inspiration for aspects of OUATITW.

Wolff, Frank (1928-1971). Brett McBain in OUATITW. Began as a bit player in Roger Corman productions, graduating to more substantial parts. Played the heavy in Monte Hellman's Beast From Haunted Cave (1959), then made several notable TV appearances, including episodes of The Untouchables, The Twilight Zone, and Rawhide ("Incident of the Wanted Painter"). After working in Greece on Corman's Atlas (1961), Wolff took the producer's advice and stayed on in Europe after the film wrapped. He had immediate success as Gaspare Pisciotta in Rossi's Salvatore Giuliano (1962). Thus, poised to take advantage of the spaghetti western craze when it hit, Wolff was cast in several, notably Corbucci's The Great Silence (1968). He also appeared in and narrated the documentary short "Western, Italian Style" (1968). When the SW trend ran its course, Wolff successfully transitioned into Italian crime movies. Nonetheless, in December 1971, Wolff checked into the Rome Hilton and killed himself.

The Woman at the Well. In OUATITW Harmonica forces Jill to go out to the well on the McBain farm. Ostensibly she goes to fetch water for Harmonica, but it is actually a ploy to get Frank's men to attack so Harmonica can kill them. The scene is one in a long succession that links Jill with water images. There are other possible allusions also. Biblical patriarchs Issac and Jacob both meet their future brides at wells, as does Moses. In all three cases water is drawn and the hero demonstrates some kind of courtesy to the females. Water and wells are archetypically associated with women. In OUATITW the well scene extends the "courtship" device operating between Harmonica and Jill, along with its ironic ("something to do with death") undercurrent.

Women do not figure prominently in SL's Westerns, with one exception. Leone's views on the matter were expressed in an interview with Christopher Frayling in 1982: "In my films, the women tend not to play a very important role because my characters had no time to fall in love or to court someone. They were far too busy trying to survive - to pursue what it was they were after. So the roles for women in Western films usually tend to be kind of ridiculous. The Rhonda Flemings in Gunfight at the OK Corral. What's she there for? To make Burt Lancaster seem even more of a hero. If you had taken her out altogether, the film would have worked better and moved faster. Now, if the female character is at the center of the story - like Claudia Cardinale in Once Upon a Time in the West - then that is very different."

Woods, James. Maximilian “Max” Bercovicz in OUATIA.

Yellow Sky (film). Shot in Death Valley National Monument, this William Wellman Western stars Gregory Peck, Richard Widmark, and Ann Baxter. The dusty setting may have inspired the desert scenes in GBU.

Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa). A samurai film that was the source for FoD.

Zamfir, Gheoghe. Pan flautist who contributed to Cockeye’s Song on the OUATIA soundtrack.

Zapata Westerns. Films set during the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1919 and therefore carrying a more explicit political message than standard Westerns, named for Emiliano Zapata, one of the prominent revolutionary leaders of the period. DYS can be considered such a Western, although because of its reactionary politics, it can also be considered an anti-Zapata.

Zuanelli, Marco. Wobbles in OUATITW.

Zwei glorreiche Halunken
/Two Magnificent Tramps. The title of the German release version of GBU, a translation of the Italian working title. Nonetheless, the three leads are introduced by titles as in the other language dubs.  Tuco is "Der Brutale," which could be translated "the brutal", Blondie is "Der Gute" and Sentenza is "Der Böse".

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:00:37 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 10:52:20 PM »

Obviously, the above is a work in progress. I'm hoping the board and its members will like the idea and want to contribute. Suggestions welcome.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »

Great job, dude... All kinds of stuff in here I didn't know. 

I'm not sure if I approve of your little comment at the end of the Stagecoach entry...  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »

It's all negotiable. Make your suggestion.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 12:25:33 AM »

Wallach, Eli. Tuco in GBU. Wallach came to prominence in such films as Baby Doll and The Misfits, then notably as the bandit Caldera in The Magnificent Seven.

Was also considered to be Juan Miranda in DYS until he had an arguement with Leone which cost him their friendship.
All the details can be found in Wallach's interview in the Frayling book "Once upon a time in Italy".

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 12:34:31 AM »

Baldassarre, Raf. Juan De Dios in FoD (uncredited).

Incorrecto.
Raf Baldassarre is not Juan De Dios.

This is Raf Baldessarre

If I had to venture a guess, he plays one of Ramon's lackies. I haven't seen FOD in a very long time so I can't know for sure I'm just going by his SW career where he always plays a mexican baddie (with few exceptions).
Next time I watch FOD I will look out for him as I can easily spot him.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:54:42 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 12:52:35 AM »

Shickel, Richard.

Richard Shickel- An Eastwood worshipper. Believes to have authority on "what's what" about Leone's work.
Proven to be pop culturally idiotic after not knowing that Paul Mccartney wrote the song Yesterday(as is heard on the commentary of OUATIA).

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:43:20 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »

So far, from what I see, everything else is correct.

carry on Jenkins, carry on.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 07:27:29 AM »

Changed entry for Baldassare. Thanks, Firecracker.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »

Dave, very good job.  Afro

Only one thing: I think Jesus Guzman was not only in GBU, in FAFDM he's the man on the train who says "this train won't stop at Tucumcari".

"Does this unit have a soul?"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »

Thanks, Jill. IMDB calls him "Carpetbagger." I've added the info.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 03:47:42 PM »

Excellent encyclopedia!   Afro

Will definitely come in handy to people who've just started getting into his films.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 10:34:07 PM »

very cool what I've tread so far up to the "B's" Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 10:45:26 PM »

Thanks, Joe. I'm expecting some suggestions/contributions from you, and from everyone else.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 06:18:08 AM »

you may want to add that  Lee Van Cleef was one of the outlaws that Peck was after in The Bravados listing

Also if you have Dogs (three in GBU) then you better also add Cats (there is one in each dollar film).

Connolly (check) Jenifer Academy Award winning actress who played the young Deborah in OUTIA

Add Three Godfathers as additional inspiration for GBU, not only the desert scenes but also for some elements of Tuco's costume.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:43:42 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM