Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 07:23:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Comanche Station (1960)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comanche Station (1960)  (Read 4573 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:41:44 AM »

Dir. Bud Boetticher, starring Randolph Scott, Claude Akins, Nancy Gates, Richard Rust, Skip Homieir.

Another good example of a low budget minimal set, great Western. Pretty much all the action takes place in the Alabama Hills of Lone Pine, California with the Sierra's as the backdrop. One lonely stage station "Comanche Station" the main set. Your main expence would have been for horse & mule wranglers

The story revolves around the Comanche captive ,Mrs. Lowe (Nancy Gates), and the efforts to get her back to her husband. Scott is pitted against Akins and his two partners. Your basic Cowboy & Indian sub genre of the Western Genre, with all around good performances. Akins is good as the villian, probably his best part along with "A Man Called Sledge" in anything else I've seen him do.

Score is your basic 50's orchestral stuff.

This was written by Burt Kennedy and was much better than Boetticher's "Decision at Sundown".

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:55:43 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:47 AM »

Is this the one with the twist ending? The husband wasn't man enough to go after his wife himself because . . . ? I saw this once on VHS and was really disappointed. Too TV-like.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:21:32 AM »

Poor plot unredeemed by any memorable scene. I had decided to give this 6\10 only because of the Scott and Akins performances and some good dialogue (like when Scott tells a "story" to Akins and his pard)) but the final twist made me veer toward a 5\10.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:51:25 PM by titoli » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »

I liked the twist, even if it was batshit crazy and sort of hilarious. My only complaint with this movie, which hurts it a considerable amount, was there needed to be more conflict on their journey. The main baddie (name escapes me) should have attempted to kill Scott a couple of times. The kid should have found ways to stop him. Indians should have had a larger role as well.

I liked this more than DaS. A solid 7 of 10.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »

I actually thought this was the weakest of the Ranown westerns. Very tedious pace with lines of dialogue that sound similar or identical to the previous films.

SPOILERS AHEAD

However the last ten minutes were pretty cool. Like the death of Claude Aikens' character in the rock outcropping and the nice little twist at the end.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:49:34 AM by The Peacemaker » Logged

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:39:56 AM »

Unmemorable movie (''Cody the storyteller'' segment aside; one was really handy with the gun, but the other one was not killed by the Comanches) from start to finish, often tedious too, mediocre. Had some nice colorful shots, and Randy Scott. The ending's interesting, but nothing more than that. It's hard to give it any credit given the uneventfulness of the whole piece, some talking ain't enough.

5/10

« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:45:06 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »

I seemed to like it a lot more than anybody on here.
It's the weakest of Boetticher's "range Westerns" but it's still very good.

8/10

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

I liked the twist, even if it was batshit crazy and sort of hilarious. My only complaint with this movie, which hurts it a considerable amount, was there needed to be more conflict on their journey. The main baddie (name escapes me) should have attempted to kill Scott a couple of times. The kid should have found ways to stop him. Indians should have had a larger role as well.

I liked this more than DaS. A solid 7 of 10.

I rate this higher now because of the scope of the movie. It's a lesser Ride Lonesome but it's still captivating.

8-8.510

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »

5.5/10

This is the worst of the 5 Ranown Cycle films I've seen (the other 4 are: Ride Lonesome, The Tall T, 7 Men from Now, and Decision at Sundown).

The Cody the Storyteller dialogue wasn't terribly enjoyable for me cuz it is directly ripped off a similar scene in 7 Men from Now (Lee Marvin was the storyteller there). That scene in 7 Men from Now was awesome; as I recall, in the Special Features, one of the dudes interviewed said that Boetticher considered it his finest scene directing and Burt Kennedy considered it his finest piece of writing. So when I am watching Comanche Station and see a direct ripoff of their own movie 4 years earlier, I just rolled my eyes  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:13:54 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:27:31 PM »

just saw Comanche Station for the second time, and I am happy to say that I now retract my previous rating; I liked this one a lot this time around.

Monday was Randolph Scott day on TCM's Summer Under the Stars, and I saw Comanche Station , as well as two other of the Boetticher/Scott Westerns: The Tall T and and Ride Lonesome. (To avoid the usual semantic debate over what constitutes a "Ranown Cycle" film, I'm just gonna call them "Boetticher/Scott" film, which covers all seven of 'em. Anyway...)

All three of 'em Comanche Station, The Tall T, and Ride Lonesome are good movies, I'd rate 'em all somewheres between 7.5-8/10. Sometimes when watching one of them  I felt like woah, that ended kinda abruptly!, cuz the films are so short, but it's really amazing what Boetticher did with so little just a few solitary men and one women (and the occasional pack of Injuns) riding alone in the wilderness, in 65 or 80 minutes or whatever. Nice cinematography; the Sierra Mountains have been used in a million and one Westerns, but they sure look pretty here.

One problem I have noticed generally with Cinemascope (and perhaps it's with all anamorphic processes): Whenever the camera pans on a  wide shot, like a sweeping shot of the Sierras, they look like they are curved. As the camera is panning, the mountains or the landscape or whatever - especially the part in the middle of the screen - looks like it is curved. Anyone notice that?

The supporting casts have all been good as well. And I've also noticed that Boetticher likes to recycle several themes. Firstly, the famous line "some things a man can't ride around" was said in both The Tall T (by Scott) and Ride Lonesome (by one of the supporting cast). And the concept of the main bad guy with the two dumb uneducated younger guys, both in The Tall T and Comanche Station.

I only wish TCM had shown all seven of the Boetticher/Scott films; now I've got a hankering to see the rest of 'em (Before seeing these three on TCM now, I'd previously seen each of 'em once). As for the other four films, I previously liked Seven Men from Now and Westbound, but I did not like Buchanan Rides Alone and Decision at Sundown.

Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:28:40 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:56 AM »

German blu coming: https://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01FTAVPDG/expmedgmb-21

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »

none of the Boetticher/Scott Westerns have been released on region A BRD, right?

(Notice I said "Boetticher/Scott Westerns," not "Ranown Westerns," so we can avoid a debate over what technically constitutes "Ranown Western."  Wink )

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »

none of the Boetticher/Scott Westerns have been released on region A BRD, right?
Not as far as I know.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »

(Notice I said "Boetticher/Scott Westerns," not "Ranown Westerns," so we can avoid a debate over what technically constitutes "Ranown Western."  Wink )

Yeah, but we like that debate, and I hope we are not interested to own the one which is doubtless not part of the cycle.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »

Yeah, but we like that debate, and I hope we are not interested to own the one which is doubtless not part of the cycle.
Are you saying that 7 Men From Now is not part of the cycle?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM