Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 07:53:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Some questions and discussion about the film.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some questions and discussion about the film.  (Read 3119 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »

There is still some things that are unclear to me while watching this film. I have a good idea with some of my questions but am not exactly sure.

-Fist off. General Huerta. I think that's his name? He's the one who shoots John/Sean at the end. What's his nationality? Is he Mexican?

-The Sean/John debate. I know we've all been discussing this. Can it be safe to say it's still a mystery till this day? At times while watching, I really do think his name is Sean, but I'm pursuated by John other times. I'm still up in the air about this.

-Why do you think Dr. Villega refused to jump off the Train full of explosives with John/Sean at the end? Also, the scene where John/Sean is looking at Dr. Villega during the execution of some mexicans in the rain while Sean/John is having another flashback of himself killing his friend. Why does John/Sean think of this while looking at Dr. Villega? And why is John/Sean cold towards Dr. Villega? This is confusing to me at times. It appeared Dr. Villega was crying and is takin' hostage during this scene, yet they let him go. Why do you think?

-During the execution scenes. Is it Mexicans killing fellow Mexicans? If so, what was the purprose of this Revolution. To separate the weak and the poor from the rich?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 01:23:27 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »

Huerta is the man on the posters who was killed by Juan on the train. The SOB who shoots Sean is Gunther Ruiz, and I think he's German - at least he has a typical Nazi face... There were Germans in Mex. Revolution - see Wild Bunch.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »

-Why do you think Dr. Villega refused to jump off the Train full of explosives with John/Sean at the end? Also, the scene where John/Sean is looking at Dr. Villega during the execution of some mexicans in the rain while Sean/John is having another flashback of himself killing his friend. Why does John/Sean think of this while looking at Dr. Villega? And why is John/Sean cold towards Dr. Villega? This is confusing to me at times. It appeared Dr. Villega was crying and is takin' hostage during this scene, yet they let him go. Why do you think?

-During the execution scenes. Is it Mexicans killing fellow Mexicans? If so, what was the purprose of this Revolution. To separate the weak and the poor from the rich?

1. Villega commited suicide because he felt guilty perhaps? Or believed his death would absolve him from being a traitor to the cause?

2. John is reminded of his friends betrayal that night in the rain.

3.John is cold to Villega later on the train because he witnessed him pointing out the revolutionaries after being captured

4. I'm  sure Villega agreed to give names in turn for his release.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »

Huerta is the man on the posters who was killed by Juan on the train. The SOB who shoots Sean is Gunther Ruiz, and I think he's German - at least he has a typical Nazi face... There were Germans in Mex. Revolution - see Wild Bunch.

Thanks Jill. I thought he was German but didn't want to sound like an idiot for saying so. He has that Nazi look for sure. I forgot about the German's being in Mexico during the Revolution. I've seen The Wild Bunch countless times and should have figured this. I'd like to read up on this some more.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »

1. Villega commited suicide because he felt guilty perhaps? Or believed his death would absolve him from being a traitor to the cause?

2. John is reminded of his friends betrayal that night in the rain.

3.John is cold to Villega later on the train because he witnessed him pointing out the revolutionaries after being captured

4. I'm  sure Villega agreed to give names in turn for his release.

Interesting answers Firecracker. A lot of what is going on in this film is not fully explained which is brilliant in my opinion. I like that some things are left open for discussion without every single detail being explained.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 04:06:53 PM »

The officer killed who shoots Sean at the end is clearly referred to by name ( Col. Gunther Ruiz ).

The guy who Juan kills on the train is not known by name but is simply known as the Governor.

General Huerta is not a character in the film. He was a real person who took control of Mexico after Madero. Madero, who served as president of Mexico from 1911 to 1913, was well known for his generocity toward the lower classes and he gave huge shares of land to the poor. He was even given the nickname "the Apostle of Democracy" after he won the election against Porifio Diaz, a leader who was despised and seen as a dictator.

In 1913, General Huerta, leader of the armed forces and sympathizer of Porifio Diaz, along with Porifio Diaz's nephew conspired against Francisco Madero. Huerta offered him protection from the forces of Diaz but betrayed him by kidnapping Madero's brother and killing him. Madero was forced to resign, making Huerta president of Mexico.

Once in power, Huerta established a fierce military dictatorship and took back the land reforms Madero had created. This ultimately led to the Mexican Revolution and the events depicted in the film.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

The officer killed who shoots Sean at the end is clearly referred to by name ( Col. Gunther Ruiz ).

The guy who Juan kills on the train is not known by name but is simply known as the Governor.

General Huerta is not a character in the film. He was a real person who took control of Mexico after Madero. Madero, who served as president of Mexico from 1911 to 1913, was well known for his generocity toward the lower classes and he gave huge shares of land to the poor. He was even given the nickname "the Apostle of Democracy" after he won the election against Porifio Diaz, a leader who was despised and seen as a dictator.

In 1913, General Huerta, leader of the armed forces and sympathizer of Porifio Diaz, along with Porifio Diaz's nephew conspired against Francisco Madero. Huerta offered him protection from the forces of Diaz but betrayed him by kidnapping Madero's brother and killing him. Madero was forced to resign, making Huerta president of Mexico.

Once in power, Huerta established a fierce military dictatorship and took back the land reforms Madero had created. This ultimately led to the Mexican Revolution and the events depicted in the film.

This makes things much more clearer when watching the film after reading that. Thanks Peacemaker. I knew I also had the names of a couple of these characters mixed up too. Sorry for that.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »

This makes things much more clearer when watching the film after reading that. Thanks Peacemaker. I knew I also had the names of a couple of these characters mixed up too. Sorry for that.

It's okay.

I thought the governor was Huerta too, but I did some research on the Mexican Revolution and ruled that out.

Huerta was a real piece of sh*t. To this day the people of Mexico hate him and refer to him as The Jackal.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »

It's okay.

I thought the governor was Huerta too, but I did some research on the Mexican Revolution and ruled that out.

Huerta was a real piece of sh*t. To this day the people of Mexico hate him and refer to him as The Jackal.

I can see why they refer to him as the jackal. What a bast*rd he was!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:04:40 PM »

Excellent work. You've just compiled another entry for the SL Encyclopedia. Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM