Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 12:14:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What do you think happens to Juan?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think happens to Juan?  (Read 3542 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:10:43 PM »

After the events that took place in Duck, You Sucker, what do you think becomes of Juan? Any suggestions? Does he indeed become a General of the Revolution as John/Sean refers to him as at the end of the film. He is a hero to the rebels as we know, so this is not out of the question. Does he still try to fullfill his dream and head to America? So many possibilities.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:27:52 PM »

He kills himself in despair.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »

well seeing as how this is maybe what, 1914 at the end of the film, then the revolution still has about 5-6 years of factions juggling for power, Juan probably became a Grand Glorious General of the Revolution. Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »

well seeing as how this is maybe what, 1914 at the end of the film, then the revolution still has about 5-6 years of factions juggling for power, Juan probably became a Grand Glorious General of the Revolution. Wink
Absolutely CJ! He lost his entire family and, of course, his partner in crime. I believe he would have
carried on the fight. Maybe in loving memory of John? Who knows?

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »

I don't think he ended up going to America. As he said to John, he was lost without him. He didn't have his family anymore. He would be lost and alone if he went to America not knowing what to do there. He most likely stayed and fought, and eventually died in the battle, going out in a blaze of glory!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 03:35:25 AM »

Poor Juan...  Cry

I'm sure he stayed and fighted like a beast. And what if he met with Sykes, Thornton and the others who joined the Revolution?  Wink

"Does this unit have a soul?"
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he continued to "fight for the cause."

Did he have any other choice? Sean gave him a royal screwin' and put Juan in a hopeless situation he can't get out of. That's why the message of the film is to not get involved, to hell with the revolution!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 12:51:52 PM »

Did he have any other choice? Sean gave him a royal screwin' and put Juan in a hopeless situation he can't get out of. That's why the message of the film is to not get involved, to hell with the revolution!

True.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »

People don't choose revolutions- revolutions choose people.

Just like they don't want to be heroes,it's against their will (I mean the real ones).

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »

I don't wanna be a hero! All I want is the money! The money!!!!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 02:07:19 PM »

I don't wanna be a hero! All I want is the money! The money!!!!

I love it when Juan says this line. Great scene between Coburn and Steiger. They had great chemistry.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 03:24:09 PM »

Things are very bleak for Juan at the end of the film.  Guess they had to be for Leone to reinforce his point about revolution.  Although Sean seems to make peace before dying, the revolution hasn't served him well either.  I think Juan is a survivor.  For me....I don't think he continues on fighting in the revolutionary cause.  I can't see him continuing on because there are no other options.  We know what he thinks about revolution from his very passionate outburst to Sean on the dynamics of revolution.  I think he goes off on his own.  In very tumultuous times when his country is still divided, I think he'll opportunistically try to take advantage of any situation that will benefit him personally somehow.  I think he's changed.  I don't see him pushing down on the dynamite plunger taking life without any thought like at the church.  I think he'll kill again in self defense like on the train.  I think he'll make an extended family with older or younger people he may meet on the way.  I definitely think he'll take solace in his "nice" thing and get back into the baby making mode again.  With time, after he gets over the grief of his family and friend, I think he puts his crucifix back on and has less superficial conversations with God.  He'll either die old with a new rag tag group somewhere, or he'll die unexpectantly and out of no where....another victim of the senseless violence in his country at that particular time in history.  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM