Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:05:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Zwei glorreiche Halunken
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zwei glorreiche Halunken  (Read 7547 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »

I don't know what happened to my post but I confirm that brutto, when used alone both as a substantive or adjective, has only an aesthetic meaning. This is proven by the fact that, when used in the moral sense, is always accompanied by a substantive (like person, face, subject). There's an exception and that is when used as a term of endearment in a jocular sense between lovers. And that's that. Finis.
And yes, the inclusion of an aesthetic evaluation in the middle of two moral ones aims at a comic effect.     

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:10:30 AM by titoli » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 08:40:56 AM »

I don't know what happened to my post but I confirm that brutto, when used alone both as a substantive or adjective, has only an aesthetic meaning. This is proven by the fact that, when used in the moral sense, is always accompanied by a substantive (like person, face, subject). There's an exception and that is when used as a term of endearment in a jocular sense between lovers. And that's that. Finis.
And yes, the inclusion of an aesthetic evaluation in the middle of two moral ones aims at a comic effect.     
Thank you. I think I've finally grasped the meaning of the Italian title. Now, getting back to the German one . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Clinton
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 03:38:48 AM »

Thank you. I think I've finally grasped the meaning of the Italian title. Now, getting back to the German one . . .

In Silvana Bacci's contract it states, ". . . nel film di nostra produzione dal titolo provvisorio 'I DUE MAGNIFICI STRACCIONI' per la regia di SERGIO LEONE"

As already mentioned, this working title (Zwei Glorreiche Halunken) was used for the German release. The translation of il brutto (the ugly) would be "der Haesslicher", but ugly is really only used as an adjective, and not as a noun, in German. They may have used the working title since il buono, il brutto, il cattivo could not be so easily translated from a grammatical point of view. Once Upon a Time in the West was also given a completely different title, but for other reasons.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 07:39:01 AM »

Nope

Der Gute, der Böse, der Hässliche is correct german, and would have been the best way.

Contrary to "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod", which sounds somehow great in german (and was possibly one of the reasons for the enormous success in Germany), 2 glorreiche Halunken was a rather stupid title and totally inappropiate for this film.

The germans had always a sense for choosing the worst titles in the world. And this is one of the worst.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »

But would they have followed the English order? Why wouldn't they have simply followed the Italian wording and produced "Der Gute, der Hassliche, der Bose"? (Sorry for leaving out the umlauts)

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 01:52:18 PM »

Because it sounds better this way. At least to my ears.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »

The longer-syllabled word at the end: that is the rule followed in Italian and English and in the german proposed title.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »

Right, gotcha.

Clinton
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »

Nope

Der Gute, der Böse, der Hässliche is correct german, and would have been the best way.

Contrary to "Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod", which sounds somehow great in german (and was possibly one of the reasons for the enormous success in Germany), 2 glorreiche Halunken was a rather stupid title and totally inappropiate for this film.

The germans had always a sense for choosing the worst titles in the world. And this is one of the worst.

Good point. Most people in Germany seem to know OUATITW, but very few know the GBU. I agree that the titles made a huge difference.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM