Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:19:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Death At Owell Rock(La Morte Non Conta i Dollari)(1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death At Owell Rock(La Morte Non Conta i Dollari)(1967)  (Read 2467 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:52:45 AM »

Directed by Riccardo Freda.

A retired army officer,Major White is killed in the town of Owell Rock and but an eye witness has evidence that the murderers were led by Doc Lester,eldest son of a neighbouring tyrannical family. However while on the way to the judge the witness is caught by Lesters men who force the towns doctor to cut out his tongue.

Fifteen years later the Majors son Lawrence(Stephen Forsyth) and Elizabeth,the beautiful daughter of Colonel Pearson arrive at Owell Rock having just survived an attack from Lesters men  on route,and were saved by quick on the draw drifter Harry Boyd(Mark Damon).Lawrence learns from his sister Jane that their father was murdered by the Lesters for his land,and that the murder had been pinned on a Mexican Rodriguez who had fled.Reluctantly the seemingly cowardly Lawrence pursues getting the judge to re-open the case but the odds are stacked against with the Lesters now ruling the town and Colonel Pearson,the town doctor and sheriff are all murdered.However Boyd is still in town and causing all sorts of problems with Lesters men.

Full of surprises I found this western hugely entertaining and theres a real clever twist about an hour into the movie.Mark Damon is excellent as the happy go lucky drifter who handles himself well with his fists in addition to his gun prowess.The shoot out and gun duels in the finale were handled imaginatively,and the musical score very enjoyable too.

My rating ,8 out of 10   Afro

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 07:13:17 AM by Banjo » Logged
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »

The problem this movie has is the many incongruities. The mystery of the figure killing the sheriff and the doctor is no mystery at all (though one can presume it's Damon's buddy doing the killings, as Damon is left-handed: this is one of the loose ends the movie doesn't tie up) it is just an unnecessary concession to Freda's specialty. Also I find the portrayal of the villains too approximative  to be effective, in spite of  Pazzafini being the main one.  The Nora Orlandi's score is unoriginal at best. This has only a good rhythm to recommend it, and maybe Damon's presence (and that of the two pretty girls). 6\10.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM