Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 11:40:13 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man With No Name Talking to Nobody?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Man With No Name Talking to Nobody?  ( 8847 )
Jon1

« : February 17, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »

Haha...I rewatched AFOD today, and in the scene right before Clint confronts the Baxter boys about hurting his horses feelings....he's talking as if to Rojo about getting hired ("I'm not cheap").  But he's talking to himself?  Too many lonely nights in the desert?

Jon1

« #1 : February 17, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »

I guess from a director's POV, the thing that struck me is that it didn't really serve the advancement of the film in anyway.
1.  It didn't do anything in terms of plot exposition.
2.  Characters talking to themselves seems a bit silly.  Movies aren't plays.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #2 : February 17, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »

It at first looks like that but I think he's supposed to be shouting it out to Roho whose near or out on the balcony. This is explained when we see Roho looking over at Joe riding off. I think its down to a bit of poor framing and a needed shot of Roho looking/listening in on what he's saying.

Also noticed this is in the wrong section

« : February 17, 2007, 03:46:38 PM Leone Admirer »

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Jon1

« #3 : February 17, 2007, 03:49:12 PM »

It at first looks like that but I think he's supposed to be shouting it out to Roho whose near or out on the balcony. This is explained when we see Roho looking over at Joe riding off. I think its down to a bit of poor framing and a needed shot of Roho looking/listening in on what he's saying.

I guess that makes sense...but he's sort of mumbling into his cigar, not shouting.

You're right, wrong section.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #4 : February 17, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »

I agree the mumbling is a bit funny too. Probably a mix up in the dubbing.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #5 : February 21, 2007, 05:25:35 PM »

I think he's rehearsing what he might say to them.....OK with me....

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #6 : February 21, 2007, 07:21:13 PM »

Leone made Clint talk to Rojo exactly the way Toshiro Mifune (Sanjuro Kuwabatake) did to Seibei (one of the yakuza bosses) in "Yojimbo". Mifune says, "Seibei, I wanna talk to you. Why don't you hire me as a bodyguard? I'll show you what I can do." In Yojimbo's case, it's more natural because he is talking to the window of the yakuza house while Clint seems to be talking to nobody. But when you look at the low angle that is looking up the balcony and the following reversed high angle over the shoulder of Rojo looking down at Clint walks toward the Baxters, it's obvious that Clint IS talking to Don Miguel Rojo.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Mr. Pseudonym
Road Apple

« #7 : April 22, 2007, 05:27:17 PM »

Yes, and that scene seems to show The Man With No Name's confidence.  He's not even looking at Don Miguel, like he's not the slightest bit worried about the possibilty of the Rojo brother shooting him.

It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack.  Not rationality.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #8 : April 22, 2007, 11:21:25 PM »

Yes, and that scene seems to show The Man With No Name's confidence.  He's not even looking at Don Miguel, like he's not the slightest bit worried about the possibilty of the Rojo brother shooting him.

Don't agree with this. Why would Don Miguel shoot him in the back without any given reason?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Mr. Pseudonym
Road Apple

« #9 : April 24, 2007, 07:27:21 AM »

He probably wouldn't; it was just an impression I got upon first seeing the movie.  The Man With No Name has been warned by Sulvinito that the town is dangerous and a 'graveyard,' and he's going to face the roughest of the families, and doesn't even look at the Rojo he's speaking to.  He just seemed to have an air of confidence this way.
Of course, after many viewings, I see that Don Miguel is curious about the new man in town, and wants to see what he's up to.
--When I first saw the title to this topic, I thought it meant 'Nobody' from "My Name Is Nobody," I thought I'd missed a deleted scene from that movie!  ;D

« : April 24, 2007, 07:29:19 AM Mr. Pseudonym »

It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack.  Not rationality.
iceman
Bounty Killer

« #10 : April 25, 2007, 03:34:47 PM »

First of all please explain "in the wrong section"???????

The way I see it...Joe walks up to the front on the house looks up to the top balcony and shouts for Don Miguel Roho. "Don Miguel Roho...I hear your taking on men" he then looks down the street and then back up to the Balcony...(maybe he can see DMR) and says "well I might just be available"..........etc

How else can you interpret it...he's assuming or knows someone is watching him...so he's definatley not talking to himself

or nobody...He's talking to the Roho's without actually knocking on the door and asking if one of em' to come out and watch him...simple enough to me ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #11 : April 25, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »

The thread was in the wrong section, I moved it Ice  ;)

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #12 : July 11, 2007, 11:05:19 PM »

I think he's rehearsing what he might say to them.....OK with me....

This is exactly what I've always thought.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #13 : July 15, 2007, 01:03:14 AM »

Haha...I rewatched AFOD today, and in the scene right before Clint confronts the Baxter boys about hurting his horses feelings....he's talking as if to Rojo about getting hired ("I'm not cheap").  But he's talking to himself?  Too many lonely nights in the desert?

The first and only time Jon1 made a thread in a Leone movie section of this site and he totally blows it with this nonsense.  ::)

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #14 : July 18, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »

The first and only time Jon1 made a thread in a Leone movie section of this site and he totally blows it with this nonsense.  ::)

;D

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines