Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 09:47:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Censorship
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Censorship  (Read 4862 times)
Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

Nothing like me has ever been on earth before!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2003, 01:03:52 PM »

Hi,

i told you that i live in Germany. And we have a censorship like nobody else in this world. A lot of movies are forbidden and banned out of public (especially Horrormovies) and there are more films you may not talk about and promote them.

So we have a true hobby. Before we buy a dvd or maybe a vhs we check out, if this version is cut or not. Sometimes exists 5 versions of one movie.

Today they already cut movies for the cinemas to make more money. And Warner stop the import of the uncut Harry Potter 2 DVD from Switzerland, cause our version is about 4 minutes cut and hundreds of people bought it in switzerland.

Wich experience did you made with censorship?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 05:21:36 PM »

Interesting, what criteria do they use to censor, too much violence, blood, etc? or sex? or both.
Let us know.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 03:58:56 AM »

The FSK (our official rating company) don't have any criteria to me. Movies like "Final Destination 2" and "Saving Private Ryan" are "FSK 16" and they are show a lot of graphic violence, actually they are Splattermovies. And movies like "Bad Boys" and "Django" are "FSK 18" and sometimes even cut!!!!

Even "Halloween" was FSK 18 at the first time but after a new rating is now FSK 16. Most of the italien movies (Copmovies, Western) are FSK 18, cut and sometimes even forbidden.

They dont accept violence in movies, but if you watch TV in Germany you can see all the baddest violence already at ten o'clock in the news. Thats stupid. Sex is not a point. "Color of Night" and "Basic Instinct" are classificated FSK 16 and completly unrated. You can see all the Details. But if there is blood they'll go crazy. Some movies are more than 60 minutes cut and you understand nothing cause the message is gone.

If movies look like "Violence is the only way", the FSK says cut this cut that and then you can possibly get an FSK 18. Sometimes the movies are banned (William Lustigs "Maniac" was the first movie banned in Germany!!!) And if some independent Label trys to release one of this movies, the people behind this label can even go to jail!!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 08:27:37 PM »

Ok sounds like its a bit resrictive, but what about dvd and video for personal use? Can you order uncut movies through the mail or email?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 02:51:58 AM »

Yes we can but if the tariff (i hope thats the right word) find the package it can happen that they keep it and you lost twice. Your ordered movies and your money. In the worst case they come to search your house Undecided

Austin
Bandido

You brought two too many.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 03:00:32 AM »

Wow that sounds awful! Has this been the case in Germany for long, or is this some draconian policy of one political party? What is Schroeder - Christian Democrat? That sounds like a very unfair policy on genuine movie buffs goddammit  Angry

The Americans have only rented (America) temporarily. If they don't behave well, if the mythical level is lowered... then we can always evict them.
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 06:12:21 AM »

I think I read somewhere that For a few Dollars More had 9 minutes of footage removed in Germany. It's alittle restrictive but I think cutting violent movies is not a bad thing. The BBFC has a tendency to remove language or sex or violence to fit the target audience. This is often unnoticed. In Iceland (where I live) They never cut movies in any way. Sometimes they bann films from screening, though, such as that French movie Irriversible (I've no intention of seeing that movie EVER) which was banned after the fist weekend but was passed on video. In Iceland A Fistful of Dynamite is rated 12 (note that the only version submitted was the 132 minute version) but all other Leone films are rated 16. Also, some movies are rated 10 (Star Wars, Spider man, Jurassic Park).

Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 06:17:07 AM »

Its actually for more than 20 years now. The VHS System was born in the beginning of the 80s and all movies were as far as i remember uncut. The only cuts are not because of censorship but the labels decide to make cuts. Maybe for more money or something. The FSK was responsible for the cinemas and then came the VHS. The public prosecutors are banned every Horrormovie (Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 was seized right out of the projector). Especially Dawn of the Dead is the all time favorite of banned movies. Every thing that had/has something in common with this movie is a target for our justice. Even books about this movie!!!!

Schroeder is not the problem. He is still neutrally and has an objective eye for the problem. But there is another one. Stoiber. If he is cancellor one day than we have a huge problem. He trys to ban every Horrormovie out of Germany because he thinks that Horrormovies are responsible for some amokrun. I don't know if you remember the school massacre in Erfurt?? After this tragedy he said that he would do everything to ban every kind of violent movie, game etc. It's a shame because a lot of scientists had proven several times that movies and games are not the reason for such things. I'm working now on my own DVD Label but i will release only in austria and switzerland. Germany is not considered in my calculation Sad

Mann ohne Namen
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 06:23:39 AM »

I saw Irreversible and this movie is running uncut with FSK 18 in our cinema and later uncut on DVD. Our problem is not only the censorship. For us is the biggest problem the classification. A movie for people "18 years and over" is nothing for children but sometimes they cut the movie to get this classification. I don't think that adults can't decide what movies they want to see or which movies are bad. Thats the big problem. The FSK decides for more than 80 Million people and tell them what scene is not good for them. And that is what i hate most.

The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 02:04:18 AM »

In Iceland no movie is rated 18. The categories are A (Suitable for all), 10, 12, 14 (Only cinema. Usually changed to 12 or 16 on video) and 16. I think it's rediculous a film like Jaws is rated 16, and also rediculous that Novocaine is rated 12.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM