Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2022, 04:34:54 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Who considers OUATIA their favorite Leone Film?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
: Who considers OUATIA their favorite Leone Film?  ( 39628 )
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #30 : July 16, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »

A good choice. Great film.

I haven't seen it.... yet!

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #31 : July 16, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »

I haven't seen it.... yet!

i don't care what anyone says, that famous wedding scene is the most boring part of the movie...

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #32 : July 16, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »

i don't care what anyone says, that famous wedding scene is the most boring part of the movie...

I love the "famous" wedding scene personally. It's just a matter of taste. This type of sequence is not for everyone. The point of the scene is to develop these characters and to show how great a friendship they all have. Also I think the reason why it was so long is to really show us how each and every character was before they went off to war and what impact it had on them and even the one's who experienced the changes of their friends. Brilliant concept in my opinion.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Tuco the ugly

« #33 : July 16, 2007, 08:36:31 PM »

The wedding scene is simply magnificent, so many miniatures there; the whole group and how they work together and when drunk, the old soldier at the bar scene, simplicity of life in the province (and how we all can find ourselves there)...Beautiful.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #34 : July 17, 2007, 02:47:21 AM »

and how we all can find ourselves there
I was at a wedding a week ago... It made me think to that sequence... So realistic! i could find all the behaviours...
But i can understand that some people cannot stand to watch such a long sequence without anything happening... I love it :)

Tuco the ugly

« #35 : July 17, 2007, 03:01:12 AM »

I was at a wedding a week ago... It made me think to that sequence... So realistic! i could find all the behaviours...
It's always like that on weddings; someone is drunk, someone is looking somebody else's girlfriend, someone is looking for a fight, someone is annoying you by talking nonsense,... You have all in that scene, that's why it's so great. I can't remember seeing that in any other movie.  8)

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #36 : July 17, 2007, 04:02:52 AM »

It's always like that on weddings; someone is drunk, someone is looking somebody else's girlfriend, someone is looking for a fight, someone is annoying you by talking nonsense,... You have all in that scene, that's why it's so great. I can't remember seeing that in any other movie.  8)

But even the behaviour of the husband and his friend, who are young men, which mean not entierly men, still a little children... And a huge "tender" athmosphere... well, all the very little things that make the unique athomsphere of a wedding... Everything is in that sequence. And i could find all that in the wedding last week :)

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #37 : July 17, 2007, 08:04:33 AM »

I don't mind the wedding scene at all - it's crucial to the character development.

Even I can admit it should have been shortened at least 5 minutes, though.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #38 : July 17, 2007, 08:23:37 AM »

Well, i don't think so. One of the strengh of this movie is to say that this is a movie about the vietnam war, and what do you see during the first hour? a wedding, a hunt...
Audacious, ambitious, pretentious (are they all english words or am i making them up?), but successful IMO... I was just  :o :o :o :D :D :D the second time I wached the movie. And a little bored the first time  ::)

Anyway, that's completly off topic. May be a mod should put the last posts of this topic in the appropriate one...

« : July 17, 2007, 08:27:16 AM noodles_leone »

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #39 : July 17, 2007, 08:39:27 AM »

I agree with you totally noodles! It's ok if it's off topic. It's good to break down the film or that sequence in this thread, especially if you love the film.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #40 : July 17, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »

Heh, I haven't seen the scene, but I was at a wedding last week too... and you are right.  The drunk one, my uncle... the nonsense one, our local pothead cory.... the one scoping out the girlfriend, Cory... and the fighting one, Cory again.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #41 : July 17, 2007, 02:32:58 PM »

Yeah,  but even the hunting scene had more of a purpose.  The character development was also well represented there.  The wedding scene was about a half hour long!! Fifteen to twenty minutes could've done the same job very well.  It's not that nothing happens, it's just that it seems very pretentious.  

I absolutely love Hitchcock's Rope, for example, and that entire movie takes place i one room with very few characters.  The entire movie was dialog but it was brilliant.  The wedding scene in TDH just didn't have that kind of quality, in my opinion.  I liked the dancing sequence, but, like i said, that whole scene could've been cut about ten minutes and it would've been perfect.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tuco the ugly

« #42 : July 17, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »

Yeah, but even the hunting scene had more of a purpose.  The character development was also well represented there.  The wedding scene was about a half hour long!! Fifteen to twenty minutes could've done the same job very well.  It's not that nothing happens, it's just that it seems very pretentious.  

I absolutely love Hitchcock's Rope, for example, and that entire movie takes place i one room with very few characters.  The entire movie was dialog but it was brilliant.  The wedding scene in TDH just didn't have that kind of quality, in my opinion.  I liked the dancing sequence, but, like i said, that whole scene could've been cut about ten minutes and it would've been perfect.

It's because TDH is way different than any other (Vietnam) movie. It's so realistic that looks like it isn't a movie but a documentary on somebody's life.
And it hits on the most important point - SIMPLE LIFE; let's be honest we're all like that most. In the pub with friends, drinking beer, playing stupid, family,...Simple human values, simple people, just like us, us.
The wedding scene shows it all, you don't have poets thinking of the meaning of the universe (like in Platoon), you don't have psihopats (like Kurtz/Brando or even Willard/Sheen like in Apocalypse Now), you don't have products of the system (like in Full Metal Jacket), all you have are this people. Simple province people, drinking beer, eating with their friends and families, and the wedding is their peek, it's something important in their little lives. Yet beside all that they have an moral obligation for their country, which practically (let's be honest) gave them nothing (but maybe a flag).
The wedding is the peek before the abyss of war, after what they'll be nothing but human shelves. That's why the attention of the director was focused on that particular "long boring scene".

« : July 17, 2007, 04:47:35 PM Tuco the ugly deer hunter »
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #43 : July 17, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »

It's because TDH is way different than any other (Vietnam) movie. It's so realistic that looks like it isn't a movie but a documentary on somebody's life.
And it hits on the most important point - SIMPLE LIFE; let's be honest we're all like that most. In the pub with friends, drinking beer, playing stupid, family,...Simple human values, simple people, just like us, us.
The wedding scene shows it all, you don't have poets thinking of the meaning of the universe (like in Platoon), you don't have psihopats (like Kurtz/Brando or even Willard/Sheen like in Apocalypse Now), you don't have products of the system (like in Full Metal Jacket), all you have are this people. Simple province people, drinking beer, eating with their friends and families, and the wedding is their peek, it's something important in their little lives. Yet beside all that they have an moral obligation for their country, which practically (let's be honest) gave them nothing (but maybe a flag).
The wedding is the peek before the abyss of war, after what they'll be nothing but human shelves. That's why the attention of the director was focused on that particular "long boring scene".

I agree with everything you said Tuco. Great post my friend! To me it's not a "long boring scene" which so many have said. I love this scene. After this scene, I really get the feeling I know each and every one of these people. A lot of these characters remind me of friends in my own life which I like a lot. This scene gives you a sense of realism which is necessary in the story.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #44 : July 17, 2007, 09:38:06 PM »

Damn, you guys are reminding me of how amazingly amazing The Deer Hunter is. I need to watch it again soon.

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines