Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2022, 07:31:20 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Who considers OUATIA their favorite Leone Film?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
: Who considers OUATIA their favorite Leone Film?  ( 39097 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #45 : July 17, 2007, 09:55:44 PM »

Damn, you guys are reminding me of how amazingly amazing The Deer Hunter is. I need to watch it again soon.

Watch it ASAP! O0

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #46 : July 17, 2007, 10:30:55 PM »

It's because TDH is way different than any other (Vietnam) movie. It's so realistic that looks like it isn't a movie but a documentary on somebody's life.
And it hits on the most important point - SIMPLE LIFE; let's be honest we're all like that most. In the pub with friends, drinking beer, playing stupid, family,...Simple human values, simple people, just like us, us.
The wedding scene shows it all, you don't have poets thinking of the meaning of the universe (like in Platoon), you don't have psihopats (like Kurtz/Brando or even Willard/Sheen like in Apocalypse Now), you don't have products of the system (like in Full Metal Jacket), all you have are this people. Simple province people, drinking beer, eating with their friends and families, and the wedding is their peek, it's something important in their little lives. Yet beside all that they have an moral obligation for their country, which practically (let's be honest) gave them nothing (but maybe a flag).
The wedding is the peek before the abyss of war, after what they'll be nothing but human shelves. That's why the attention of the director was focused on that particular "long boring scene".

Love your post Tuco, well done.  You make very good points.

And this is why i can understand why people love the movie itself, (including the wedding scene  ;)).  It has a style that attempts to "brake the mold" by making the daily lives of the characters the main focus of the movie, rather than the war. The war was used as the backdrop.  It just seemed to me, watching it the first time, that the director tried very hard to break the mold.

I don't mind movies that have chaacters and situations that i don't particularly relate to, but i know others prefer movies that accurately represent their daily and simple routines.  I find these kinds of movies somewhat boring mainly because i know what goes on in daily life, and my means of escaping that simplicity is by watching a movie with something totally different to what i can relate to. I can't deny, however, that TDH is a great movie and deserves a watch.  O0

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tuco the ugly

« #47 : July 18, 2007, 05:27:09 AM »

Love your post Tuco, well done.  You make very good points.

And this is why i can understand why people love the movie itself, (including the wedding scene  ;)).  It has a style that attempts to "brake the mold" by making the daily lives of the characters the main focus of the movie, rather than the war. The war was used as the backdrop.  It just seemed to me, watching it the first time, that the director tried very hard to break the mold.

I don't mind movies that have characters and situations that i don't particularly relate to, but i know others prefer movies that accurately represent their daily and simple routines.  I find these kinds of movies somewhat boring mainly because i know what goes on in daily life, and my means of escaping that simplicity is by watching a movie with something totally different to what i can relate to. I can't deny, however, that TDH is a great movie and deserves a watch.  O0

Thanks Sonny, I understand what you mean.  :)
I don't like so many daily routine in movies myself, but in this particular movie it was necessary, to make them humans, and therefore the tragedy after they returned from war was bigger. Before you saw them all dancing and having fun on that wedding and after (in the end of the movie) they are all sitting on that table like zombies, shadows of great people (friends) they used to be. Afraid to say something, afraid to remember how good it was "back in the old days"...

Tuco the ugly

« #48 : July 18, 2007, 05:30:17 AM »

I agree with everything you said Tuco. Great post my friend! To me it's not a "long boring scene" which so many have said. I love this scene. After this scene, I really get the feeling I know each and every one of these people. A lot of these characters remind me of friends in my own life which I like a lot. This scene gives you a sense of realism which is necessary in the story.
Thanks! O0
Yes, no matter how great we think we are, or how sophisticate, it really comes back to those simple little joys of life.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #49 : July 18, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »

Thanks! O0
Yes, no matter how great we think we are, or how sophisticate, it really comes back to those simple little joys of life.

Tuco the ugly. Have  you ever seen OUATIA on the big screen?

Tuco the ugly

« #50 : July 18, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »

No... :'(

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #51 : July 18, 2007, 09:19:59 AM »

No... :'(

Yeah, I will shed a tear or two myself for not seeing any Leone film on the big screen.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #52 : July 18, 2007, 12:49:08 PM »

Yeah, I will shed a tear or two myself for not seeing any Leone film on the big screen.

You'd have to be at least 40 years old now for that one... ;D

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #53 : July 18, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »

You'd have to be at least 40 years old now for that one... ;D

Well some people here are lucky to live in or near NYC. They've showed his films quite of few times at theatre's down there.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #54 : July 18, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »

There's still possibilities.....keep your eye out for festivals or art house showings.  Another alternative would be university campus showings.  Lotta schools have student cinema programs.  They have schedules of current and older films they show throughout the year.  Guess just need to be careful about possible DVD projection if you want a real film experience.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #55 : July 18, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »

I have.

Sorry. I like to bring it up all the time.   ::)

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #56 : July 18, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »

I have.

Sorry. I like to bring it up all the time.   ::)

No need to apologize my friend. I think it's great you got to experience theatre viewing!

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #57 : July 18, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »

Well some people here are lucky to live in or near NYC. 
Or Helsinki  :P. At least FAFDM was shown there this summer. I wish I go there to study after high school (or what ever it is) so I can attend the great screenings of Finlands Cinema Archive (or something like that, I translated that myself  ;D).

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Sonny
Bounty Killer

« #58 : July 18, 2007, 10:06:35 PM »

I wish they made these events more public, I mean even if the movies are shown in very selective locations, they're not very advertized.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #59 : July 19, 2007, 05:35:56 AM »

They showed OUATITW in Pittsburgh a month or two back. . . sadly I was unable to attend. :'(

Saturday nights with Groggy
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines