Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2017, 10:15:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django (1966)  (Read 57316 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 08:45:19 PM »

best non-leone spaghettie western = death rides a horse... django i think is a close second though

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 02:42:36 PM »

What about Faccia a Faccia? Surely deserves a mention.

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 04:03:51 PM »

And you guys probably haven't seen "The Big Gundown" either, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 06:08:40 AM »

yet 2 see any sollima but i cant imagine theyre much better than Great Silence and much worse than Django.

Sorry Django fans but i really dont see the fascination with this film. Great Silence is far better.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 06:42:08 AM »

yet 2 see any sollima but i cant imagine theyre much better than Great Silence and much worse than Django.

Sorry Django fans but i really dont see the fascination with this film. Great Silence is far better.

I totally agree.  Django is way overated and not even n the same class as The Great Silence.  I have yet to see the Big Gundown but after the Leone westerns The Great Silence is the best of the rest.  Django's opening draging the coffin is cool but the movie quickly goes down hill from there.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 05:58:14 AM »

I think some of the critical confusion results from who the films were made for. Django resonated more with its Italian audiences and European audiences, a film made for their consumption, Leone's films broke out internationally and more importantly eclisped the genre here in the home of the western in North America.

I believe I've read that Django made more dinero in Italy than any of Leone's films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2004, 11:02:43 AM »

And you guys probably haven't seen "The Big Gundown" either, lol.

You're right about that cigar joe, but it is on the western channel on the 28th! Tongue This channel rocks!

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 12:13:01 PM »

Sadly I have no western channel. But I am hopefulyl watching my Professional Gun DVD tonight  Cheesy

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2004, 10:41:09 PM »

redyred give us a critique.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2004, 04:46:17 AM »

I didn't actually get time to see it in the end, and tonight I'm working. But I'll almost definately watch it monday night, then start a new topic reviewing it.

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2004, 05:28:54 PM »

I had this great idea for a theory on SW's. That the ones that we Norte Americanos liked were the ones that had at least all or some of their main characters speaking english and the rest even though dubbed wouldn't really be that noticeable and accepted. The other major criteria would be a good story, Morricone score, and good production values.

Those that were entierly dubbed would be less accepted.

This would be true for all Leone westerns, Great Silence had Frank Wolf, Big Gundown & Death Rides a Horse Sabatta - Van Cleef, Keoma - Woody Strode.

What do you guys think? And see if this theory holds true for the Spaghetti's that star your native actors.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 05:31:08 PM by cigar joe » Logged

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 06:22:19 AM »

but im british so where do i stand...and ive always been more pro-european than pro-american. lol  Grin

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 07:09:25 AM »

... and what about Scandinavians? Since we are used to subtitles instead of dubbing of foreign films (that's what they do in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland, etc.) it's very hard for us to watch anything that's not "original" versions of films (soundwise). It has to be done very well, and to this day, it is still the thing that bothers me the most about Leones films. And many other Italian films, by the way.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2004, 07:44:45 AM »

Thanks to Blue Underground, we can all watch Django with its original italian audio. Franco Neros voice has always annoyed me in the dubbed version. It doesn't sound like him at all. Since there aren't any english speaking actors, there is no need to see this film dubbed. I really like the film though. The town is so filthy and dirty, quite unlike any other western town. In fact, everything about the film is filthy and dirty...and hilarious.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
duval
Road Apple

Woke up this morning, Got myself a gun!!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 09:55:25 AM »

I checked out Django on Amazon UK...it says it is unrated and region 0 what does this mean...will it work on my region 2 DVD player. I saw both Django and Django Kill if you live shoot on filmfour and thought they were great.

Yeah I knew 'im, delicious!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM