Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 10:31:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The destruction of one bridge, and the building of another...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The destruction of one bridge, and the building of another...  (Read 2088 times)
marqkin
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:39:43 AM »

Interesting to note that when the bridge is blown up in 'Duck You Sucker' by Sean and Juan, another bridge is built in their relationship....it's the pivotal moment in the film when their differences are set aside, and they are 'one' instead of 'two'......
Then, of course, comes tragedy, with Juan's discovery of his slaughtered family.....after triumph comes the fall.....
It's a beautiful, but downright heart-breaking moment in the film...yet a significant one...
I used to struggle with watching 'Duck You Sucker', and was turned off by the excessive use of foul language etc....
however, I have now fallen for the film, and think that Leone's vision of one man's friendship for another is masterful...
The end scene...when Sean dies at his own hands...and when Juan (Rod Steiger) turns to the 'audience' and says: "What about me???" is so poignant.....it's a question that we can all associate with, if we find ourselves in a position were we love and lose a great friend and supporter....

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:43:13 AM »

Interesting to note that when the bridge is blown up in 'Duck You Sucker' by Sean and Juan, another bridge is built in their relationship....it's the pivotal moment in the film when their differences are set aside, and they are 'one' instead of 'two'......
Then, of course, comes tragedy, with Juan's discovery of his slaughtered family.....after triumph comes the fall.....
It's a beautiful, but downright heart-breaking moment in the film...yet a significant one...
I used to struggle with watching 'Duck You Sucker', and was turned off by the excessive use of foul language etc....
however, I have now fallen for the film, and think that Leone's vision of one man's friendship for another is masterful...
The end scene...when Sean dies at his own hands...and when Juan (Rod Steiger) turns to the 'audience' and says: "What about me???" is so poignant.....it's a question that we can all associate with, if we find ourselves in a position were we love and lose a great friend and supporter....

Great observation's marqkin! I'm happy that the film has grown on you after repeated viewings. The thing I disagree with you about is when you said the language turned you off at first. The language was necessary to the characters, especially Juan who was clearly not educated. This is the realism of Leone's films and this is an example of it. Most people who grow up poor and uneducated as Juan did tend to use this choice of words in their vocabulary. I guarentee Leone thought of this while co-writing the script.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »

Interesting to note that when the bridge is blown up in 'Duck You Sucker' by Sean and Juan, another bridge is built in their relationship....
Great analogy Marqkin.   It's great to get fresh insight into this great movie.   Afro

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 02:57:32 PM by geoman-1 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM