Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:01:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mackenna's Gold (1969)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mackenna's Gold (1969)  (Read 14367 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »

Watched this overly bloated Western on TCM last night another treasure hunt Western a la GBU but boy does it not deliver Dir. by J Lee Thompson and starring Gregory Peck ...  MacKenna  Omar Sharif ...  Colorado  Telly Savalas ...  Sgt. Tibbs  Camilla Sparv ...  Inga Bergmann  Keenan Wynn ...  Sanchez  Julie Newmar ...  Hesh-Ke  Ted Cassidy ...  Hachita  Lee J. Cobb ...  The Editor  Raymond Massey ...  The Preacher  Burgess Meredith ...  The Storekeeper  Anthony Quayle ...  Older Englishman  Edward G. Robinson ...  Old Adams  Eli Wallach ...  Ben Baker

It has great cinematography but that is about all, it just doesn't work, there are no town sets whatsoever to juxtapose the landscapes, its as if they spent all the money on cameos. I was watching to see Eli Wallach. The big stars in 1969 were Peck and Sharif.

One memorable sequence is Julie Newmar's nude swim quite surprizing & unexpected.

3/5

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »

Mackenna's Gold Watched this overly bloated Western on TCM last night another treasure hunt Western a la GBU but boy does it not deliver Dir. by J Lee Thompson and starring Gregory Peck ...  MacKenna  Omar Sharif ...  Colorado  Telly Savalas ...  Sgt. Tibbs  Camilla Sparv ...  Inga Bergmann  Keenan Wynn ...  Sanchez  Julie Newmar ...  Hesh-Ke  Ted Cassidy ...  Hachita  Lee J. Cobb ...  The Editor  Raymond Massey ...  The Preacher  Burgess Meredith ...  The Storekeeper  Anthony Quayle ...  Older Englishman  Edward G. Robinson ...  Old Adams  Eli Wallach ...  Ben Baker

It has great cinematography but that is about all, it just doesn't work, there are no town sets whatsoever to juxtapose the landscapes, its as if they spent all the money on cameos. I was watching to see Eli Wallach. The big stars in 1969 were Peck and Sharif.

One memorable sequence is Julie Newmar's very nude swim quite surprizing & unexpected.

3/5
The movie's ending is unintentionally funny. It's been decades since I've seen it (on late night network TV), but I remember the hokey earthquake at the finale. The ground is undulating like it's sitting on a water tank. Riders want  to leave the secret canyon (or whatever) and so are trying to outrun the quake. Fissures appear in the ground in front of the riders, and they and their mounts leap over them! Hilarious. In a real earthquake, the horses wouldn't even be able to remain upright, to say nothing of galloping and jumping.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:42:39 AM »

"MacKenna's Gold". . . haven't seen it, will probably have to sometime. That's an amazing cast, even if they're small roles. I can't imagine Omar Sharif as a Mexican, but then he played a lot of ethnically incorrect roles in his career, so I could probably live with it.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »

Been fond of this western since i was a kid and i give it 4 out of 5. Smiley

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:54:11 AM »

One memorable sequence is Julie Newmar's nude swim quite surprizing & unexpected.

I watched this at the theatre and stood another show just to watch again those few seconds. Blessed vhs's and dvd's!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:43:26 AM »

We know why Banjo  Cheesy

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:23:15 AM »

I saw that the actress was the Catwoman in the '60's Batman. Now I see.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:35:35 AM »

I've seen it only for Gregory a few years ago. Quite good, but Greg had better westerns (for example The Big Country), and: WHY is Omar Sharif surviving too? He's the bad guy!

Want to see Duel in the Sun and The Gunfighter from Greg...  Kiss

Oh, and he had in his late years a good Zapata western too - Old Gringo. Worth for him, not worth for Jane Fonda, and we have a very young Senator Bail Organa (Jimmy Smits) as Mexican...  Wink

Greg was one of my favourites. Talented, handsome and honourable... a real gentleman.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »

Jill if you like Gregory Peck you must try and find "The Bravados" with Peck & Lee Van Cleef.

But getting back to Mackenna's Gold, I still can't believe how little was made out of such a good cast, what a contrast with Leone this is a good comparison film show these two back to back if you ever want to prove a point of how to make a great vs mediocre adventure treasure hunt, a lot of the other money must went into the fx's of the earthquake.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 09:31:03 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Panache
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »

they been makin fun of th song from this movie for half a year now, on Letterman(Jose Feliziano came out an sang it in person,1 night Grin

i saw it a few months ago, kinda hokey but decent(had a boatload a stars in it

an catwoman takin a nude swim-well ya cant beat that(ina mamn er of speaking Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

they been makin fun of th song from this movie for half a year now, on Letterman(Jose Feliziano came out an sang it in person,1 night Grin
Indeed: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=HBpzTcW5qIg&feature=related

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 02:15:49 PM »

What the hell is this? One of the weirdest, most disjointed and disorienting Westerns I've ever seen. Aside from that Omar Sharif wants some Indian gold, nothing that happens makes a lick of sense or follows any comprehensible pattern, except for the constant theme of Gregory Peck slugging people. It has its moments but it never amounts to anything coherent. Lots of pointless cameos, all of whom turn up just long enough to get whacked (and mostly at once, at that). Peck is Peck, Sharif is unconvincing as either a Mexican or a bad guy (can't wait to see his take on Che Guevara), Julie Newmar is really something. Gorgeous cinematography, occasionally ruined by over-the-top editing. Decent score ruined by a cornball song about vultures. Annoying narration. The earthquake at the end was cool I guess.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:47:02 PM »

I keep thinking Richard Crenna is in this.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »

The earthquake at the end was cool I guess.
It always gives me fits of laughter.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »

How much of that scene was included in the TCM version?  I remember Playboy showing her diving in topless, and emerging bottomless.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM