Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 18, 2017, 12:50:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Original intermission
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original intermission  (Read 6256 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 04:17:38 PM »

It probably did, Frayling mentions that For a Few Dollars More's Italian cut had an internission

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 01:15:50 AM »

Hi guys, just noticed this thread. It's good to know that every Leone film had an intermission, at least in it's original form.

FOD happens around 50mn after Clint gets his money.

FOFDM is when Manco wants to go for a full night sleep. The music cuts abruptly because their was an intermission card there.

GBU I dunno but there was definetly one.

Same OUATITW

DYS I saw in the cinema with an intermission too, I remember I went for a pee. Forget where it was, I was a kid.

OUATIA of course had one, it's the same one that was on the original VHS tapes.

If you want a true Leone presentation, all those intermission cards needs to be put back in. They give a different feel to the films.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »

I saw all these in theaters as first run, except Once/America later in 1985 as it was put back into the Leone timing.  That was the only one that had intermission as first run.  But I did see GBU years later and there was an intermission just after Tuco cuts the chains and jumps on the train.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »

It probably did, Frayling mentions that For a Few Dollars More's Italian cut had an internission

Until the '90's, if I remember well, ALL movies in the cinemas had an intermission. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »

Hi guys, just noticed this thread. It's good to know that every Leone film had an intermission, at least in it's original form.

FOD happens around 50mn after Clint gets his money.

FOFDM is when Manco wants to go for a full night sleep. The music cuts abruptly because their was an intermission card there.

GBU I dunno but there was definetly one.

Same OUATITW

DYS I saw in the cinema with an intermission too, I remember I went for a pee. Forget where it was, I was a kid.

OUATIA of course had one, it's the same one that was on the original VHS tapes.

If you want a true Leone presentation, all those intermission cards needs to be put back in. They give a different feel to the films.
Are you talking about the original US run for each film, or the Italian ones? Or both? I would be very surprised if the first run films in the US had intermissions (except for OUATIA, of course). Cusser's post seems to confirm that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »

Until the '90's, if I remember well, ALL movies in the cinemas had an intermission. 
I assume you're talking about Italian cinemas. As someone who travelled a bit in the 90s I can confirm that in New Zealand and in Turkey films had intermissions in the 90s, whether they needed them or not (it helped sell concessions). Not so in Japan. The last theatrical showing of a film in US cinemas I remember seeing (again, not counting OUATIA) was for Barry Lyndon.

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 08:36:32 PM »

But I did see GBU years later and there was an intermission just after Tuco cuts the chains and jumps on the train.

Interesting. I didn't know that the International Cut was presented with an intermission.

The Italian cut had the intermission during the monastery scene right after Blondie throws coffee in Tuco's face and says, " I'll sleep better...knowing that my worst enemy...is by my side...to protect me", and then passes out.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 06:11:56 AM »

On TV it lasted for approx. 10 more years. Now it's worse: 95 min of movies and 25 min of commercials in 3 - 5 bus stops.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »

On TV it lasted for approx. 10 more years. Now it's worse: 95 min of movies and 25 min of commercials in 3 - 5 bus stops.

That was the commercial TV. In RAI (the italian public service) until the '80's there was only one intermission usually at the same point as in the cinema,  the writing  "fine primo tempo" (end of first half) and "secondo tempo" (second half) on the celluloid were kept.

stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »

I saw those intermissions in France. There were intermission cards there.

If there was no card, it's not real, it's theater decided intermission at random.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »

That was the commercial TV. In RAI (the italian public service) until the '80's there was only one intermission usually at the same point as in the cinema,  the writing  "fine primo tempo" (end of first half) and "secondo tempo" (second half) on the celluloid were kept.

Yeah I remember those, I grew up with them. It was a great way to show movies actually: you knew you can relax and enjoy the movie and that at some point you'll have the 15 mins to go to the toilette (or whatever) without losing a segment of the film.

Curious thing: I remember watching only one movie that had 2 intermissions, the last one being ''terzo tempo''. It was some sort of road movie or something similar and I remember it ended with a wide shot of a car leaving on a long white road in the desert or somewhere... I was never able to find out which movie it was, as I was relatively small and didn't remember much of it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »

Not so in Japan....

If my memory serves me correctly, double-bills in Japan were a regular feature for much longer than in many other places. I suppose that doesn't leave much time for intermissions either.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »

If my memory serves me correctly, double-bills in Japan were a regular feature for much longer than in many other places. I suppose that doesn't leave much time for intermissions either.
That may be true. When I got to Japan (1989) there were no more double bills except for those in rep houses. It may be that the practice of double-billing set the pattern for intermission-free films, and that when they went to single bills there was no urgent need to re-introduce intermissions. Longer films such as 7 Samurai and Kwaidan must have had intermissions when they originally played.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »

I think Frayling said on the commentary of FAFDM that even that film had an intermission in some theaters in Italy. Or am I remembering wrong?

I remember in FAFDM, there is a moment where Blondie says, "Well  if there's going to be any shooting, then I'm going to have to get my rest," and then the screen fades to black. Seems a bit odd. On the commentary, Frayling says that there was an intermission in Italy at that point. He said films shown in Italian theaters had intermissions, so I guess that when Italians made movies - even ones that were not very long, like FAFDM - they always made a spot where there could be an intermission if desired.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:07:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 04:52:49 AM »

... so when Italians made movies - even ones that were not very long, like FAFDM - they always made a spot where there could be an intermission if desired.

As a rule the movie was divided in two equal halves and few, if any, distributors cared cared about where the intermission fell. Not even the audiences, actually.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM