Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 07:02:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Original intermission
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original intermission  (Read 6879 times)
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2007, 04:00:11 AM »

I've read that an intermission was originally placed at the point after the dehidrated Blondie spills the coffee on Tuco's face and says something like "It's nice to know my good friend is watching over me." but the restored edition does not include the intermission. I think it should be included if it was part of the premiere version. Does anyone know if the Italian disc has it?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:30:32 AM »

What was the intermission supposed to be made of?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:19:54 AM »

Are you sure that the intermission was "official" and not something that the theaters did by themselves?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:25:25 AM »

I always find that on dvd's where they include the intermission (like on the recent re-release of the roadshow Sand pebbles, which also has like 3 minutes of black at the beginning with music) that it's pretty pointless for home viewing...I guess it's nice to have it for completeness, but usually it's a card that says "intermission" with music underneath for like 5 min....and I always fast forward.....it would make sense in a theatre, but I have the pause button on my remote for any kind of "intermission" I require....

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »

Are you sure that the intermission was "official" and not something that the theaters did by themselves?
I wonder the same thing myself. Does anybody know if GBU even had an intermission? (or BBC, for that matter).

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »

I wonder the same thing myself. Does anybody know if GBU even had an intermission? (or BBC, for that matter).
I think Frayling said on the commentary of FAFDM that even that film had an intermission in some theaters in Italy. Or am I remembering wrong?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »

I think Frayling said on the commentary of FAFDM that even that film had an intermission in some theaters in Italy. Or am I remembering wrong?
I don't know. There are some countries where every film gets an intermission whether it needs one or not (this was true in New Zealand 10 years ago, I don't know about now). The projectionist comes to a reel change but turns the lights up instead. Everybody is thereby encouraged to patronize the concession stand. Then the movie starts again, but everyone's forgotten where they left off.

But this is very different from what we're talking about, an intermission planned for by the film's director.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »

I wish films had intermission's today. It's all apart of the film going experience in my opinion. Everything is all about business today. They want to get you in, and get you out. I hate it! This is why I loved Grindhouse so much. It was old school.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 12:27:17 PM »

In Italy every movie was divided in 2, sometime 3 halves called "tempi" (fine del primo tempo/end of first half; secondo tempo/ second half were the legends on cards at the end and beginning of the two halves). During this intermission the lights go up and you buy refreshments by the seller who makes the rounds of the theatre like the one to be found in stadiums. More rarely there was a stand. I don't know how things stand today.
Until 10 years ago, mre or less, when programmed on TV channels, expeciallyh the public ones, the masters used to keep the original legends dividing the two halves. And it still happens with movies programmed at night. But for the rest they are cut in 4 or 5 pieces to accomodate commercials and the original cards are eliminated.       

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »

The first few times I saw GBU (1968-1970) in theaters (U.S.) it didn't have an intermission.  I saw it at theaters maybe 15 times, and only had intermission once or twice.  It occurred just after Tuco jumps onto the train, resumes with Blondie and Angel Eyes' men riding into the bombed town.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:30:47 PM »

The intermission, then, was always in the same place?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »

I'm with Cusser, During the New York city premier in 1968 and subsequent viewings, I don't ever remember seeing intermissions for GBU.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »

cigar. How often do they play Leone's films in NYC?

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »

cigar. How often do they play Leone's films in NYC?

Do you mean now or then?

Then in the late 60's there were double bills on Times Square when the first two Dollars films came out, the after GBU they had triple bills of all three running back to back, on huge screens. Every summer for at least three years after they continued to do that adding Hang 'em High as a fourth film in the rotation to create a sort of linkage with the dollars films.

Now every couple of years they have some kind of Leone festival at a revival house or a museum.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »

I know for sure that the International Export Version did not contain a planned intermission, I'm just wondering about the original Italian premiere version.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM