Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 12:25:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Extended Cut
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Extended Cut  (Read 5987 times)
Derbent 5000
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:49:46 AM »

I would like to see those 45 Mins scenes as extra on new Remastered DVD in the future   

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 02:44:44 AM by Derbent 5000 » Logged
poderator
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:53:17 AM »

For me, this movie is perfect as it is now Wink
But I would prefer those extra/missing scene on a separate part of the disc.
Sometimes more is not better Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 06:22:41 AM »

That wouldn't be the director's cut, the 168-minute Italian version is.

Except for the beating of Harmonica scene, most of the scenes were consciously scrapped and their dialogue incorporated into other scenes. So what would the point of adding any of them be?

Maybe it would be nice to have them as a special features, as poderator says. But they were cut out for a reason - they weren't forced on Leone by the studio, in this case.

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »

Yeah, it was just normal editing done by Leone himself. I'd like to see those scenes on their own, though.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »

The only scene that is of interest to me is the Harmonica beating scene. I'd love to see this.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:41 PM »

I doubt there was really any point of the scene because it wasn't really mentioned later in the film.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 06:07:51 AM »

I doubt there was really any point of the scene because it wasn't really mentioned later in the film.

Well, it had some point but nothing truly vital to the story. For instance, showing that the Sheriff of Flagstone was in the employ of Frank/Morton. Would be a neat curios, but I don't think its absence hurts the movie at all. In fact, its inclusion probably would mess up the pacing.

The other deleted scenes, from my recollection, would be:

- Sam and Jill meeting in the Flagstone stable (this dialogue was pretty much done in the existing stagecoach scene, so why bother?)
- Morton and Harmonica talking on the train after Harmonica is captured (might be of interest, shows the beginning of the rift between Frank/Morton, but not vital)
- Jill meeting Mr. O'Leary about the deed to the Flagstone land (superfluous since the whole thing is dealt with in other scenes)
- Frank's shaving scene (little importance, would have reinforced the idea of the Sheriff being crooked and put the "Whittling on a piece of wood" line in a very awkward place)
- Harmonica pulling a gun on Cheyenne (not necessary, might be of interest to see)

Derbent, you should cool off - just because there's missing footage doesn't mean that the director wanted every foot of film he shot. The 168/165-minute version is the Director's Cut, the 144-minute version is the shortened version.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 09:57:36 AM »

I'm extremely happy with the existing version. What I would like to see though if there's another released down the road is to keep Jill's Theme playing in the end credits. I don't like how they abruptly play Cheyenne's Theme music. I like that music but it wasn't necessary in the credits.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 10:41:36 AM »

You also forgot the deleted scene where Harmonica looks for Wobbles on an over-crowded passenger train.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »

Well, it had some point but nothing truly vital to the story. For instance, showing that the Sheriff of Flagstone was in the employ of Frank/Morton. Would be a neat curios, but I don't think its absence hurts the movie at all. In fact, its inclusion probably would mess up the pacing.

The other deleted scenes, from my recollection, would be:

- Sam and Jill meeting in the Flagstone stable (this dialogue was pretty much done in the existing stagecoach scene, so why bother?)
- Morton and Harmonica talking on the train after Harmonica is captured (might be of interest, shows the beginning of the rift between Frank/Morton, but not vital)
- Jill meeting Mr. O'Leary about the deed to the Flagstone land (superfluous since the whole thing is dealt with in other scenes)
- Frank's shaving scene (little importance, would have reinforced the idea of the Sheriff being crooked and put the "Whittling on a piece of wood" line in a very awkward place)
- Harmonica pulling a gun on Cheyenne (not necessary, might be of interest to see)
Yeah, none of these are vital to the story, but a movie is more than just its plot, Groggy (as you very well know). Seeing Harmonica pull a gun on Cheyenne would be way cool, and first-time viewers would thereby enjoy a nice bit of suspense wondering what follows. As for the shaving scene, its absence robs us of one of the allusions to My Darling Clementine (and for that matter, FAFDM). It's re-inclusion would add considerably to the texture of the film. If it were possible to put some of these scenes back in, I'd be all for it. But I don't really think that's possible.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 11:51:15 AM »

Were scenes of Harmonica recuperating after the opening shootout; taking a beating by Keenan Wynn and his guys part of an earlier editing cut?  Not part of this particular 45 minutes in question.....

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:28:09 PM »

You also forgot the deleted scene where Harmonica looks for Wobbles on an over-crowded passenger train.

That scene would clear up the unending questions about "What happened in the shootout with Cheyenne/Morton?" and "How did he escape from jail?" if nothing else. Roll Eyes

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 05:30:14 PM »

Yeah, none of these are vital to the story, but a movie is more than just its plot, Groggy (as you very well know). Seeing Harmonica pull a gun on Cheyenne would be way cool, and first-time viewers would thereby enjoy a nice bit of suspense wondering what follows. As for the shaving scene, its absence robs us of one of the allusions to My Darling Clementine (and for that matter, FAFDM). It's re-inclusion would add considerably to the texture of the film. If it were possible to put some of these scenes back in, I'd be all for it. But I don't really think that's possible.

I might agree, if Leone himself had not cut these scenes out. I don't think, since as we said a lot of the dialogue is repeated in scenes in the existing cut, that they should even be in there. For all we know, these scenes could be completely horrible - we just have hearsay to go by. But since we're all fans of Sergio here, can't we perhaps intuit that maybe, just maybe, give him the benefit of the doubt and consider that Leone had a reason for cutting these scenes out? Roll Eyes

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 05:58:45 PM »

Well, we have to consider the particular reasons (plural) for the cuts, and where they were taken in the production process. Obviously, in the case where material was cut, and then some of the information was written back into scenes that were shot subsequently, it would be ridiculous to try to restore such. However, if there are scenes that were cut only to satisfy contractually imposed time constraints, then we can be pretty confident that SL would have approved their re-insertion in a more accommodating age.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »

Isn't the longest available version of the film is the 171 min Italian DVD?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM