Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 01:55:45 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Elevator to the Gallows (1958)  ( 2941 )
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« : July 19, 2007, 06:47:06 AM »

I think this french noir masterpiece deserves a thread of its own.  It's stunningly original, very suspenseful, is filmed with a distinct visual style that almost matches the coolness of Miles Davis' score. This movie really did blow my mind.  I haven't seen it for a few months, when I saw it the first time, so I can't go into too many details, but one thing I DO remember is how awesome I thought the movie was.

Seriously, the best french noir I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoQVRyh5aZE

EDIT: By the way, when I first saw this movie, I felt like it was made in the sixties after I watched it.  I had no idea it was the fifties.

« : July 19, 2007, 06:54:04 AM Silenzio »
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1 : July 19, 2007, 06:53:19 AM »

I saw it in a theatre (well, actually a cineclub) in the mid-70's and found it boring, except for the score. Actually the movie thrived on that.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : July 28, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »

Elevator to the Gallows (1958) Criterion Collection DVD, excellent thriller directed by Louis Malle with Jeanne Moreau & Maurice Ronet, a murder plot goes very wrong with a lot of twists and turns.  10/10 Check it out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

« #3 : July 28, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »

O0 with a really cool score by Miles Davis.  I was able to check out that Criterion disc.  Great supplemental features like most Criterion DVDs.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : February 08, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »

BD coming in April in the UK. Info and a cool new trailer here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13198

Maybe Criterion will get off their collective ass and upgrade their current DVD.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
moorman
Gunslinger

« #5 : September 05, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »

This was ok. Superb score. Excellent cinematography.   The plot spent too much time with the wife looking for Julien.  There was not enough to the plot because of that.  I rate this one a 8 out of 10...

« : September 05, 2018, 07:40:26 PM moorman »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : September 06, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »

This was ok. Superb score. Excellent cinematography.   The plot spent too much time with the wife looking for Julien.  There was not enough to the plot because of that.  I rate this one a 8 out of 10...
Also, the sub-plot with the couple who steal the car was a total waste. But I agree, the score is marvelous. I had to get a CD of it.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
moorman
Gunslinger

« #7 : September 06, 2018, 01:23:27 PM »

Also, the sub-plot with the couple who steal the car was a total waste. But I agree, the score is marvelous. I had to get a CD of it.

If you took the couple's subplot out of the film there wouldn't have been a film.  The only thing left would've been the wife running around looking for Julien and we had enough of that.  What I felt would've been better would have been to let Julien find out that he was a wanted man and instead of it immediately unraveling, let him go on the run with the wife and they both try and piece the thing together.  He wasn't used enough.  Here he is a military veteran with supposedly these military skills and none of it was used other than him getting hisself trapped in the elevator.  That was the main let down for me.  Its a good film though...

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #8 : September 07, 2018, 06:35:28 AM »

If you took the couple's subplot out of the film there wouldn't have been a film.  The only thing left would've been the wife running around looking for Julien and we had enough of that.  What I felt would've been better would have been to let Julien find out that he was a wanted man and instead of it immediately unraveling, let him go on the run with the wife and they both try and piece the thing together.  He wasn't used enough.  Here he is a military veteran with supposedly these military skills and none of it was used other than him getting hisself trapped in the elevator.  That was the main let down for me.
I like your ideas for the re-make. I vote for you to get hired to write it.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines