Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 01:06:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Kill Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Does Kill Bill suck balls?
Yes   -6 (35.3%)
No   -11 (64.7%)
Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Kill Bill  (Read 30017 times)
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2003, 06:01:29 AM »

The film is a very good homage to Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone. It includes a musical segment from "Death Rides a Horse"(1968) a film Morricone scored, a very nice touch. My only complaints were a couple of over the top visuals (slow motion shots of the weapons in flight), and I would have preferred to see the entire film Tarrantino wanted to present-the whole story. Leave it to the distributors to cater to the lowest common denominator, people who can't sit still a theatre for more than two hours. This is the type of film you don't care how long it is, three hours, four hours because you don't want it to end. ***1/2 out of 4 stars.

Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 05:55:36 PM »

i've just been to see it and it's very much sergio leone influenced. I thought it was ok but i would have to admit i was glad that ti was only on for 90 minutes because towards the end i was getting bored, especially the final fight between uma thurman and about 50 samuries it was in black and white and drawn out .
Though i knew that death rides a horse by ennio morricone was going to be used, which i thought was used brilliantly, there was also another piece by him which is used a couple of times. I downloaded this song monthes ago off kazaa and it's simple called condor, i'm not sure if anyone knows the proper title or if they could tell me what film it is from cheers, I know it's from a spaghetti but i'm not sure which.
There was also another theme from a spaghetti used which was brilliant but it was by louis bacalov. Overall i thought it was better than i expected, the animation sequence being especially superb, and i'm looking forward to seeing the second installment.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
BDR529
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 10:53:24 PM »

As I understand it chopping the movie in half was at least partly Tarantino's idea.  90 minutes leaves you panting for more, but at about the 2 hour mark, he reasoned, you'd get bored.

I loved the Leone homages and loved the whole damn movie after about 30 minutes into it.  I was a little cautious about it at first (and undertsand, I'm a huge Tarantino fan) as I expected it to be Tarantino's huge ego engaging in some serious cinematic masturbation.  And I was right, but after that 30 min. or so mark it really started kicking ass.

Am I wrong, or did I also hear something very similar to "Cockeye's Theme" from OUATIA throughout the film?

Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 04:17:45 AM »

Ok... It wasn't Cockeye's Theme. It was "The Lonely Shepherd" Performed by Gheorghe Zamfir. However he is incidential the guy who DOES plays the Pan Flute that's heard on Cockeye's Theme!  

BDR529
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 07:03:10 PM »

Yeah, of course, I knew that!  Tongue Roll Eyes

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 04:10:16 AM »

Saw it yesterday, it's very great...  This is again serious kickass from the very first scene...  It is very much over the top and it does the film good.  
If people thought Leone's films were violent, they better don't see this one... Cool

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 02:46:40 PM »

Great Movie. A piece of art, not like a lot of movies in these days.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 07:18:33 AM »

Quentin's continued to pillage the Spaghetti Westerns to fill out his soundscape to Kill Bill...

Volume 1 used tracks from Death Rides A Horse, The Grand Duel, The Long Day of Vengeance and Day Of Anger and by the looks of it here.

He's cribbed from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, The Mercenary aka A Professional Gun and Navajo Joe for the Volume 2 soundtrack!  Cheesy

Can't wait!  Grin

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 03:34:27 AM »

reading a recent article in the Indepenent newspaper, he asked morricone to score for kill bill but only a two-minute segment!!! so morricone refused and he got rza from the wu-tang clan to do it instead

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 12:46:51 PM »

I don't know if it is true.

Morricone already made fun of himself for the Oliver Stone movie "U-Turn", but the score was really excellent and serious.

He accepted the parody but made a serious, sad and beautiful score.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
El Topo
Road Apple

Reefer Madness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 08:13:32 PM »

Tarantino has called "PULP FICTION" a modern-day spaghetti western, which in many ways is true. There's lots of CUS, scenes where we just hear noise or watch the character, and also having all the characters being bad guys rather than good guys.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 03:17:56 PM »

I can't say i'm a tarantino fanboy like a lot of people... but i do like some of his movies... sounds like a lot of people love to kiss his ass a lot... i mean some of his movies have a lot more substance than a lot of the crap coming out today... but i have to say i was dissapointed by kill bill, and that could simply be because it was two parts... although i'm gonna force myself to see part 2 because i hate to judge a movie without the most important part... the ending... i don't feel any sort of urge to go out and see part 2... part 1 in my opinion just wasn't that great... it was good...but nothing spectacular... pulp and jackie brown were much better... both a hundred times better than reservoir dogs or kill bill... i still think people love to kiss his ass to much and just say that all his movies are amazing... but IMO they aren't... there... thats my rant on Q, should hold me off for quite a while.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
El Topo
Road Apple

Reefer Madness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 05:58:55 PM »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/kill_bill/volume_II/trailer/

Check out the newest KILL BILL VOLUME II TRAILER!

Great use of Ennio Morricone's "THE TRIO" from "THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY"!

(also, "The Sundown" from GB&U is on the Kill Bill V. 2 soundtrack)

KERMIT
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 11:33:50 AM »

I can't say i'm a tarantino fanboy like a lot of people... but i do like some of his movies... sounds like a lot of people love to kiss his ass a lot... i mean some of his movies have a lot more substance than a lot of the crap coming out today... but i have to say i was dissapointed by kill bill, and that could simply be because it was two parts... although i'm gonna force myself to see part 2 because i hate to judge a movie without the most important part... the ending... i don't feel any sort of urge to go out and see part 2... part 1 in my opinion just wasn't that great... it was good...but nothing spectacular... pulp and jackie brown were much better... both a hundred times better than reservoir dogs or kill bill... i still think people love to kiss his ass to much and just say that all his movies are amazing... but IMO they aren't... there... thats my rant on Q, should hold me off for quite a while.
tell it like it is GP_C.  

« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 06:24:16 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 06:10:43 AM »

Here's an article on Q's refrences from todays NTY is free, just register.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/11/movies/11KEHR.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM