Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 12:51:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Was Frank as fast/faster on the draw than Harmonica?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Frank as fast/faster on the draw than Harmonica?  (Read 2717 times)
marqkin
« on: July 20, 2007, 05:39:59 AM »

Just has a quick look at the final duel between Harmonica and Frank in 'OUATITW'. If you press the dvd pause button, and advance frame by frame, it's clear that Harmonica draws his gun first... However, even as he fires the shot, Frank has started to draw his, and very nearly has it raised to the same level as Harmonica's....
I'm wondering the following:
If both men had drawn their guns at EXACTLY the same moment, would Frank, in fact, have been faster, and thus killed Harmonica?
Also, it's interesting to note that in his previous Westerns, Sergio Leone always had the bad guys draw first - Eastwood (the Good guy) always drew second, as if to emphasise how lightening-fast he really was...
The instance of Harmonica (the good) drawing his gun before the bad antagonist is - to my way of thinking - another classic and very under-stated Leone moment....a moment when this magnificent director shattered yet another 'Western Movie' myth - that the good guy always drew second......
Anyone else have any thoughts on this....I'd love to hear them...
Adios...and all the best for now.
P.S. I only recently became a member of this fantastic site, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it..many thanks to everyone who contributes such interesting thoughts and ideas that make it the best fan site on the internet...

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »

I think that is significant. The good guy is not anymore just defending himself. In AW universe the one who drew first was bad. MWNN drew second only because it was cool and he was so damn great. But in OUATITW the attitude is different; there are no good or bad men. There are only men and businessmen. And because Harmonica and Frank are both basically the same, it doesn't matter which draws first. Harmonica draws first because he wants to kill. Frank is just defending himself. MWNN is not perhaps the father-figure of all times but still good and different breed than the villains. Harmonica and Frank are the same race, both just gunslingers.

Sergio getting darker and more cynical.   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Whalestoe
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:34:40 AM »

As Frank says, "Just a man."  Cheesy (Why the crazy eyes?)

Anyways, you nailed it on the head. The both of ya'.

They are just gunslingers, just an Ancient Race and in this fairytale, the last of it. It almost didn't matter anymore who drew first, who died and who lived. Because either way, more Morton's were going to come and kill it off, everything they were. Harmonica winning is just general retribution for Frank's evil deeds to others while backing the businessmen.

In a sense, I guess you could say Frank was a HUGE contributor in the killing off of his own race. Just add that up to another one of his evil deeds he needed to pay for.  Angry

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 05:50:47 AM »

Having watched this scene repeatedly, it looks like while Harmonica draws first, Frank actually gets his gun out before he does. However, Frank takes too long to aim, and so Harmonica just blasts Frank while he's lining up his shot.

You can correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's how it always looks to me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »

Harmonica is obviously quicker.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »

Having watched this scene repeatedly, it looks like while Harmonica draws first, Frank actually gets his gun out before he does. However, Frank takes too long to aim, and so Harmonica just blasts Frank while he's lining up his shot.

That's correct.

poderator
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »

What do you guys think, who would be faster, in the duel between Harmonica (present time of course) and Frank, but the real Frank when he was in his primes ( when he tortured H. brother for instance?) Who would win then? Frank was probably the greatest badass in the Wild West at that time. Cheesy

Whalestoe
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:36:51 PM »

Frank in his prime, for sure.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM