Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:41:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Western Quotes in For A Few Dollars More
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Western Quotes in For A Few Dollars More  (Read 5688 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:09:09 PM »

We did this for Once Upon A Time in the West, now we can do it for this film.

here are three.

The pocket watch idea is from The Bravados, Gregory Peck has a picture of his murdered wife in the lid that he shows to the men he's after (one of them is Lee Van Cleef).

Wild & Mortimer the first lighting the match scene in the saloon. When Nino grabs Wild's gun hand that's a quote from the film Warlock.

The half shaved gunman in the White Rocks segment is from a similar scene in Western Union.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:14:20 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »

The half shaved gunman in the White Rocks segment is from a similar scene in Western Union.
Hmmm, I would have said Henry Fonda in My Darling Clementine. But maybe you're right.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »

We did this for Once Upon A Time in the West, now we can do it for this film.

here are three.

The pocket watch idea is from The Bravados, Gregory Peck has a picture of his murdered wife in the lid that he shows to the men he's after (one of them is Lee Van Cleef).

Wild & Mortimer the first lighting the match scene in the saloon. When Nino grabs Wild's gun hand that's a quote from the film Warlock.

Great thread cigar. Some interesting stuff here. I did know however that Leone was a big fan of Warlock. Anybody else like that film here?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 03:54:38 PM »

I like Warlock but all I've seen ins the Pan & Scan Version

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marqkin
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:05:36 AM »

Great thread cigar. Some interesting stuff here. I did know however that Leone was a big fan of Warlock. Anybody else like that film here?

I totally agree...this is a very good thread.....As for 'Warlock', it's always been one of my favourite films, and - if possible - you need to see it in widescreen....I have it on PAL dvd....
There are some great performances in it from Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, and Richard Widmark......
It's not your typical 'Western'....this one deals with relationships, and also with power, and how 'power' corrupts.....
Writing this, I've just remembered...there's a scene in it where the H. Fonda character has just had to kill his best friend (A. Quinn)... Fonda then proceeds to kick the crutches out from beneath a town cripple....(something, I believe, that Sergio used to such great effect in 'OUATITW').
Regarding 'FAFDM', I understand that Leone was (when planning and shooting the film) influenced by the 1953 Western 'Vera Cruz', which featured a relationship between a young gunfighter (Burt Lancaster), and an elderly 'adventurer (Gary Cooper).
The film is worth watching.....
...Eli Wallach has been quoted as saying that - prior to be asked to portraying the 'baddie', Calvera, in 'The Magnificent Seven',  the film 'Vera Cruz' had been released, and caused great outrage in certain cinemas, because it portrayed the Mexicans in a 'bad' way...
When 'Mag 7' was produced, every attempt was made to make the Mexicans whiter than white (costumes..attitudes...behaviour etc.)
Hope some of this is of interest...
Adios...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 05:38:59 AM »

Regarding 'FAFDM', I understand that Leone was (when planning and shooting the film) influenced by the 1953 Western 'Vera Cruz', which featured a relationship between a young gunfighter (Burt Lancaster), and an elderly 'adventurer (Gary Cooper).
The film is worth watching.....
...Eli Wallach has been quoted as saying that - prior to be asked to portraying the 'baddie', Calvera, in 'The Magnificent Seven',  the film 'Vera Cruz' had been released, and caused great outrage in certain cinemas, because it portrayed the Mexicans in a 'bad' way...
When 'Mag 7' was produced, every attempt was made to make the Mexicans whiter than white (costumes..attitudes...behaviour etc.)
Hope some of this is of interest...
Adios... 

Yea its been a long time since I've seen Vera Cruz, but I  have it comming soon on Netflix.

And I did read about the Mexican reaction to Vera Cruz, before.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »

Warlock is on TV today, in Italy. I have already written that is one of my favourite westerns.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 02:09:40 PM »

Warlock is on TV today, in Italy. I have already written that is one of my favourite westerns.

Notice if there are any more obvious quotes. Afro

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:09:52 PM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »

More quotes, I watched 40 Guns today:

The howling cat at the Agua Caliente Gunfight is in 40 Guns.

The hat tree in a lot of Leone films is in 40 Guns.

Barry Sullivan & Gene Barry in 40 Guns dress like Mortimer

Guns are emphasized in 40 guns almost fetishized.

Shot looking through the barrel of a gun (also in Yellow Sky) reminded me of Mortimer looking through his telescope.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:25 AM »

I actually think "Warlock" is pretty weak. I think I've said that before though. . . Tongue

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:39:49 AM »

Yes, you have a tendency to repeat yourself, must be old age creeping up. Evil

titoli, I'm with Groggy, Warlock isn't all that good. But both you and Leone liked it (by some accounts, it was SL's favorite Western). What is it we aren't seeing, that appeals to Italian eyes?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM