Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 07:39:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Joe/Monco/Blondie vs Harmonica
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joe/Monco/Blondie vs Harmonica  (Read 16804 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2007, 03:53:23 PM »

This thread is so wrong-headed I don't even know where to begin...

First of all, you have to decide among Joe and Monco and Blondie, three different characters. Monco is a bit of a wuss, with that leather gauntlet he wears on his arm. And both Joe and Monco take beatings. When AE meets up with Blondie, he doesn't even dare to try and thrash him (the reason he offers is a rationalization). He's clearly more badass than the other two Eastwood characters (a better shot too, perhaps). So I'm thinking he's the best of the three. The question is then, Can Harmonica take Blondie? If the answer is yes, fine. But if the answer is no, you still have to decide whether he can take either Monco or Joe or both.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »

If the three are considered one and the same, basically The Man with No Name, I believe he could beat Harmonica. Yes Harmonica is a more complex character, but Blondie (or which ever you prefer) is the epitomization of the perfect killer. Harmonica was more realistic. He even got shot in the arm at the beginning. One thing I like about Blondie is he's the perfect weapon in any given situation. Actually, not every situation, he's not a politician or anything, but he's clever enough to always come out on top. Just violent situations, I guess. He's an icon for all anti heroes. He knows exactly what he's doing through the course of the three movies. They're both great gunslingers, but when you compare them from my point of view, Blondie comes out on top.

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 04:30:36 AM »

Not possible, my friend. If such an interaction were to occur, we'd have the universe caving in on itself from that much EPIC awesomeness!

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 10:13:33 PM »

But the more I think about it, I'd have to go with Joe/Monco/Blondie.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Huey
Bandido

A whole month!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »

Harmonica by a distance, especially if it is true that GBU were intended to be the three men waiting at the station.

Where life had no value, death sometimes had its price
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 01:39:39 AM »

Harmonica by a distance, especially if it is true that GBU were intended to be the three men waiting at the station.

I just can't imagine Joe/Manco/Blondie getting gunned down.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:33 AM »

I just can't imagine Joe/Manco/Blondie getting gunned down.

Yea, but you gotta remember it wouldn't be Joe/Manco/Blondie that Eastwood would have portrayed, he would have been a completely different character.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 04:12:58 AM »

Yea, but you gotta remember it wouldn't be Joe/Manco/Blondie that Eastwood would have portrayed, he would have been a completely different character.

Yeah, I guess, but still, Clint Eastwood getting gunned down? I mean, it suited him in Gran Torino, but not in this.

Huey
Bandido

A whole month!!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »

I think the point about realism hits the nail on the head. Leone spoke of his westerns as fairy tales and some of the gunplay deployed in the trilogy underlines that so, yes, Clint appeared to be invincible against all odds. OUTW was a different concept which was close to reality in storytelling terms. So, although Charlie can take on three men and win, he gets hit himself in the process. If Clint had been in this film, his "untouchable fairy tale legend" persona would have been seriously revised.

Where life had no value, death sometimes had its price
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 02:57:55 PM »

I gotta go with Harmonica! the man is driven which will make him faster that a man motivates by greed!
only Eastwood in Fistful of Dollars shows some misty driven purpose when he saves Marisol "I knew someone like you once and there was no one there to help?" that's a film all by itself.
I think it would have been awesome to see Clint, Eli and LVC as the three gunmen its a great fantasy but the presence of Jack Elam, Woody Strode really takes some beating! the scene could have only been improved with say someone like Glen Ford as Knuckles but that's a personal opinion and anyway the scene is perfect as it is!

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM