Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 05:36:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rate the Last CD You Listened To
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rate the Last CD You Listened To  (Read 90876 times)
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 02, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »

After having a long stint listing to just only Queens of the Stone Age for the longest time.I bought a couple of Korn cds. I've always heard a song or two by them but never really got into them.Well I got 7 out of there 8 cds and now just a fuckin fan of them.So I'll rate the cds from the greatest to weakest.according to me.

Untouchables > Issues=Take A Look In The Mirror > Korn > Life Is Peachy > See You On The Other Side > Follow The Leader

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »

Pink Floyd: The Wall - 9.5/10
I can find some bits that I don't like/find boring but overall it's just amazing.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Murder Ballads - 9/10
What I just said.

Alice in Chains: Alice in Chains
I can't give it a rating yet only after two times of listening but I'd say it's my least favorite of their three full lenght albums. Mainly the problem is that out of twelve songs 3-5 seem like fillers; they just aren't that good. Overall the sound is pretty different from their earlier stuff -- two main differences are numerous layered singing tracks (often literally half a dozen at the same time) and heavy distortion in both guitars and singing voices. The outcome is something slightly in fashion of sludge metal. Nevertheless, I'm very much looking forward to their upcoming release (I have my doubts about the new singer, though).

Radiohead: The Bends - 6.5/10
I had both Kid A and this in my hands at the store and now I think I should have chosen differently. It's not bad but it's not the greatness I'm used to hearing from Radiohead. It's pretty straightforward pop rock (eventhough good at that), especially the first half -- the second half shows some experimentation. There's only one truly great song, Street Spirit (Fade Out)

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »

Dead Kennedys: Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - 8.5/10
Usually I don't really like HC punk, like Black Flag etc., but DK always has a great touch of irony and sarcasm, which makes them different from "smash it all" -kind of bands.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 08, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »

Radiohead: The Bends - 6.5/10
I had both Kid A and this in my hands at the store and now I think I should have chosen differently. It's not bad but it's not the greatness I'm used to hearing from Radiohead. It's pretty straightforward pop rock (eventhough good at that), especially the first half -- the second half shows some experimentation. There's only one truly great song, Street Spirit (Fade Out)
To my way of thinking, Kid A is Radiohead at their best.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »

The Clash - London Calling - 8/10

I have to say "8" because it's technically far from being perfect, sounds a little bit like kids thinking they're the Rolling Stones.
However, to me, it's a 10 out of 10.
May be the most stimulating album ever  Afro Afro Afro

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 07, 2009, 04:16:24 AM »

The past few months I’ve been enjoying a Finnish prog band, Absoluuttinen nollapiste (“Absolute zero”). Here are my thoughts about seven of their nine full length albums (I only listened to their debut a couple of times many months ago and haven’t heard the latest yet). From earliest to latest:

Muovi antaa periksi – 8/10
Some of my favourite songs are here but the album is really a collection of all the songs they had ready by that time, and as such it not only has some not-so-great songs but also is almost impossible to listen through. Songs are short and unorthodox in their structure and lyrics are absurd, impressionistic and even Dadaistic.

Simpukka-amppeli – 8/10
Very enjoyable throughout. Calmer atmosphere and fewer hard rock riffs. Songs are a bit longer and more structured. Lyrics make more sense and have fewer smartass quips; sentences even make sense and relate to each other. Overall this feels more adult than their earlier efforts and the closing track shows ambition that’s never before been present.

Suljettu – 9/10
Often described as their magnum opus. Moodier atmosphere. This is their first concept album, dealing with a troubled relationship of son and father, culminating in the five-piece song Suvannossa ylpeä ilme. I like practically all of their lyrics (primarily written by Tommi Liimatta) but this album has the best this far.

Olos – 7.5/10
This has a couple of great songs, too, but overall it’s not up to par with any of the three previous ones. Best words I can find to describe it are tired and lazy. Maybe that’s because of the pop sound… But that concerns mainly the first half; the second half all the best songs. The closing track has the biggest sounds this far.

Nimi muutettu – 8/10
On average longer songs than before (only one under four minute song). What can I say? It’s a solid album, the band sounds like themselves.

Seitsemäs sinetti – 8/10
Some great riffs but the songs don’t always come together. Lyrics are easier to understand but at the same time have deeper meanings.

Mahlanjuoksuttaja – 9/10
I guess this could be describes as a concept album. A lot of secret societies, things out of place and feeling of loosing (or giving up) control. As riffbased as Seitsemäs sinetti but with better structured songs. Soundwise this is their best album. 

I can email selected mp3s if anybody's interested.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 07, 2009, 06:05:41 AM »

The Clash - London Calling - 8/10
I have to say "8" because it's technically far from being perfect, sounds a little bit like kids thinking they're the Rolling Stones.
However, to me, it's a 10 out of 10.
May be the most stimulating album ever  Afro Afro Afro
And yet, it's not even their best album.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2009, 01:23:58 PM »

Korn:Live & Rare

Piece of shit live album. The tracks sound weak compared to how they actually perform.

Whalestoe
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2009, 06:48:22 PM »

The Beatles - Revolver - 10/10

My favorite of The Beatles records.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 21, 2009, 06:43:14 AM »

Radiohead: Kid A - 8/10
Definitely needs more listening. Morricone influences are evident.

Kyuss: Kyuss - 7.5/10
Some of the song structures don't make any sense and are actually annoying, but when the train is rolling, it rolls perfect. 

One Day as a Lion: One Day as a Lion - 8/10
I'm not a huge hip hop fan but this I like, maybe because I've always liked de la Rocha's voice and their minimalistic sound totally rocks. I can't really approve de la Rocha's lyrics, though, but that's nothing new.

The White Stripes: Elephant - 8.5/10
I love their sound and style but some of the songs on this record are not really that great.   

Mad Season: Above - 7.5/10
A couple of awesome tracks, a couple of OK tracks and a couple of filler tracks.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 24, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »

Umphrey's McGee -- Mantis  5/10

Pretty cheesy, man, this band can't seem to get it right in the studio.  Their live records and bootlegs are great though.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 25, 2010, 11:01:34 AM »

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: The Boatman's Call - 9/10
Nick Cave showing his tender side. Needs some time to get used to.

Radiohead: Amnesiac - 9/10
Pablo Honey and Hail to the Thief to go.

Zen Cafe: Ua ua - 8/10

Absoluuttinen nollapiste: Musta hiekka - 8/10
Solid work but not many songs that could become AN-classics. Seeing the album consisting of A and B sides helps in approving it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 26, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »

I'm enjoying the latest from Germany: Kammerflimmer Kollektief's Wildling (fabulous), and the new Roedelius, Diary of the Unforgotten (very pleasant).

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 27, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »

My latest acquisition is Dsida Jenö by the Hungarian band Misztrál, both a CD and a book of poems by Jenö Dsida (Dsida Jenö for Hungarians). I don't understand a word, aside of a few exceptions like "Isten" and "nagy", but it's fantastic. Afro Perhaps not the best as far as albums go (there are some with better "composition" or so), but sure one of the best in terms of individual songs and the band itself.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 15, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »

Hallucinogen - In Dub 8/10   Top track - Gamma Goblins (It's Turtles All the Way Down Mix)

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? 9/10 Top Track - Divine Moments of Truth

Been giving electronic music a chance lately, on account of going to some bass-heavy dubstep "rave" a few weeks ago that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Although, that kind of music, I've found you can really only appreciate on the proper sound system in the proper frame of mind.  But digging a little into the genre a little i've found some stuff i can really get into.  Apparently, the key to electronic music is that they take any genre, and if they make it actually sound good/musical/something-you'd-actually-listen-to-at-home-and-not-at-a-party they throw a "psy" in front of it.  Psydub, psytrance, psybient.... It's nothing i've really looked into before but 'tis expanding my horizons.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM