Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 04:54:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone`s score
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone`s score  (Read 10061 times)
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2007, 06:06:38 AM »

In which of the Leone`s films, by your opinion, Morricone did the best music score, and what about it did you like the most?

marqkin
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:10:47 AM »

This is purely personal....
in 1976 (Easter Monday), I watched 'The Good, Bad, Ugly' on UK TV (BBC1.)........
...wasn't prepared for Morricone's score......!!!!!
....Can't even begin to explain how I feel about the 'Dollar' themes.......the whistling....the guitar twangs....the .....
NEED I GO ON!!!!!!!!!
........which brings me on to the thread about the fantastic 'graphics' for the 'Dollar' Trilogy........
Boy.......just sat down and watched them ........for the millionth' time ....the opening credits... the rotascope.......the colours....the music.........!!!!
It blows my mind every time that I sit down to watch these fav. films of all time.....
....is it just me... or was Leone brilliant!!!!!!!.....

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:14:13 AM »

It's just you.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
marqkin
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:30:21 AM »

Hi,  Noodles....

...you say the nicest things.....

...all the best, Amigo.......

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:36:39 AM »

My first personnal experience with Morricone and leone was OUATITW... and it blew and still blows my mind every time, just like you, amigo...

www.ThibautOskian.com
marqkin
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »

......Says a lot for music.......when it can have that effect on someone.......
.....so beautiful.....so nostalgic......
......words don't even come close to expressing the beauty in these films.....

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 07:45:34 AM »

I think you're in the best place in the world to find people that understand perfectly what you mean Smiley

www.ThibautOskian.com
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:36:38 PM »

all of them.
morricone is the master of this.
the world WON'T be a "better place" when he's gone.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:29:38 PM »

I absolutely adore all the films score's for Leone's films. Ennio Morricone is really a genius. A highly talented and innovative films composer. Nobody till this day sounds like him and nobody will ever.

If I had to pick one score that I liked the best, it clearly be Once Upon a Time in the West. It has everything you'd want in a film score. The music is thrilling, touching, beautiful, exciting, and mind blowing all at the same time. It's an extraordinary soundtrack.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »

......Says a lot for music.......when it can have that effect on someone.......
.....so beautiful.....so nostalgic......
......words don't even come close to expressing the beauty in these films.....
all of them.
morricone is the master of this.
the world WON'T be a "better place" when he's gone.
I absolutely adore all the films score's for Leone's films. Ennio Morricone is really a genius. A highly talented and innovative films composer. Nobody till this day sounds like him and nobody will ever.

If I had to pick one score that I liked the best, it clearly be Once Upon a Time in the West. It has everything you'd want in a film score. The music is thrilling, touching, beautiful, exciting, and mind blowing all at the same time. It's an extraordinary soundtrack.

I can`t explane how it`s make me happy to read such comments. Those two genius deserve to be praised in this way. I couldn`t agree more with you all. If I had to pick one score I would probably picked OUATIW too. Every simple thing in this movie is masterful. But, who can choose, Leone and Morricone are so great... Once again, thank you for your nice comments.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:59 PM »

I enjoy The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West the best.

The music to The Story of a Soldier (I think that's what it's called) was really beautiful. Morricone and Leone go together like Lean and Jarre and Williams and Spielberg.

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 02:06:03 AM »

I enjoy The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West the best.

The music to The Story of a Soldier (I think that's what it's called) was really beautiful. Morricone and Leone go together like Lean and Jarre and Williams and Spielberg.

I agree with you. Expecially, music that plays before the shootout in the GBU is tuly masterful. Better say, whole movie is masterful.

Yes, Lean was a great director, and he and Jarre were a great duo, but in my opinion no one could mach Leone/Morricone. For me they are unbelievable, unrepeatable... I can`t find right words to express my opinion about them (I don`t think that the problem is that I don`t know English language perfectly)... I think that they are totaly unique and that no one can even come close to them.

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »

All of Morricone's music is great. The soundtracks to OUATITW and DYS are my Leone/Morricone favorites overall.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »

I forgot to mention Hitchcock/Hermann...a great team.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 01:04:59 PM »

As someone who purchased his first soundtrack albums in 1968 (GBU 1st, then Return of the Seven) and listens primarily to soundtrack albums in my truck: in my opinion GBU has the best use of music in ANY film, ever.  No, not just the Ecstacy of Gold, the final shootout, "Father Ramirez", etc, the film just uses scoring better than anything else ever. 

Once Upon a Time in The West, For a Few Dollars More, and Once/America are great too, as are early James Bond films, Warner Brothers Korngold classics from the late 30s (Adventures of Robin Hood, Sea Hawk, Captain Blood), and others.  But GBU will always stand out as best music score in a film, and pretty damn great as stand-alone music (the expanded soundtrack albums, what a great find a few years ago!).

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM