Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2022, 08:42:58 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  3:10 to Yuma (2007)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33
: 3:10 to Yuma (2007)  ( 222730 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #240 : September 15, 2007, 07:18:37 AM »

This is the Wild West, you can't put a 21st century spin on it.

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE ..........sort of gives the law leeway, shoot on sight so to speak.

You're living in the movies cigar. Not everyone was wild back then. The law did exist whether you believe it or not.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #241 : September 15, 2007, 08:16:30 AM »

The law had the right to take the lives of wanted men, particularly if those wanted men were putting others at risk. Even today lawmen will kill a suspect rather than allow him to hurt others (the fact that this is known has led to that weird modern phenomenon Suicide By Police). Clearly, the right thing to do when the outlaw gang shows up in Contention was to kill them as soon as possible. Yes, the lawmen had to avoid shooting innocent bystanders, but they're professionals. They should be able to spare the citizens of the town and still get the job done (the alternative, as we see, doesn't work out so well). Doing nothing is not serving the interests of the townspeople, it places them in greater danger. Passivity in the face of lawless aggression leads to greater aggression.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #242 : September 15, 2007, 08:47:48 AM »

The law had the right to take the lives of wanted men, particularly if those wanted men were putting others at risk. Even today lawmen will kill a suspect rather than allow him to hurt others (the fact that this is known has led to that weird modern phenomenon Suicide By Police). Clearly, the right thing to do when the outlaw gang shows up in Contention was to kill them as soon as possible. Yes, the lawmen had to avoid shooting innocent bystanders, but they're professionals. They should be able to spare the citizens of the town and still get the job done (the alternative, as we see, doesn't work out so well). Doing nothing is not serving the interests of the townspeople, it places them in greater danger. Passivity in the face of lawless aggression leads to greater aggression.

I understand what you're saying jenkins, but I my argument makes sense as well. I just think you're going way over board here with this film in my humble opinion. But as always, you can think what you want and I'll do the same. It's just an example of how we all look at things differently I guess.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #243 : September 15, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »

I just think you're going way over board here with this film in my humble opinion. But as always, you can think what you want and I'll do the same.

Well we can say the exact same thing, I think its an Ok film, hope it does start a trend of more Westerns, but hopefully smarter Westerns, that use plausible plot points that make sense.

In my opinion its you who are going way overboard on the praise for this. We don't need Westerns that totally disregard the reality of the Old West.

If you accept too outrageous plot points what are we going to get next.

Next to Unforgiven the storyline convolutions of 3:10 seem ridiculous, its not at that level. But up against some of the ridiculous action flicks with flying cars etc. it fits right in.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #244 : September 15, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »

Well we can say the exact same thing, I think its an Ok film, hope it does start a trend of more Westerns, but hopefully smarter Westerns, that use plausible plot points that make sense.

In my opinion its you who are going way overboard on the praise for this. We don't need Westerns that totally disregard the reality of the Old West.

If you accept too outrageous plot points what are we going to get next.

Next to Unforgiven the storyline convolutions of 3:10 seem ridiculous, its not at that level. But up against some of the ridiculous action flicks with flying cars etc. it fits right in.

Again, I'm not the one making a big deal out of this. I'm being talked down on because I'm praising this film.

cigar, you say, "We don't need Westerns that totally disregard the reality of the Old West."

What's your definition of the real west? Many of John Wayne's films, films that are considered classics, were in no way realistic when it comes to the wild west for the most part. Realism is good, yes, but when it comes to dramatics, sometimes it's not, especially for a film.

This defying logic, avoiding reality talk is downright laughable. You two are quite the comedic tandem. Keep it coming.  ;D

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #245 : September 15, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »

I'm talking basic concrete Western ditctums, ie, if is six shooter, that's all it should fire before you have to reload. That kind of stuff. You start getting away from those basic dictums it ceases to be a Western.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #246 : September 15, 2007, 03:43:07 PM »

I'm talking basic concrete Western ditctums, ie, if is six shooter, that's all it should fire before you have to reload. That kind of stuff. You start getting away from those basic dictums it ceases to be a Western.

I see what you're saying, but that kind of stuff doesn't bother me all that much. If I'm not mistaken, they did reload quite a bit in 3:10 to Yuma. I don't think it was after 6 shots everytime, but they did reload. Again, that's all for dramatic and thrilling purposes. That's Hollywood for you.

This is what is magical about movies, is that you can bend the rules a bit. You can escape from realism for a couple hours. I love seeing this in westerns when it's not way over board. 3:10 to Yuma was in no way overboard.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #247 : September 15, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »

Well, I'm going to go see this tonight if I don't get lost. I'll be sure to add my two cents went I get back.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #248 : September 15, 2007, 09:17:17 PM »

Well, I'm going to go see this tonight if I don't get lost. I'll be sure to add my two cents went I get back.

Nevermind. I'll see it tomorrow.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #249 : September 15, 2007, 09:18:26 PM »

Nevermind. I'll see it tomorrow.

got lost?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #250 : September 15, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »

got lost?

IM me, or ask Kurugen if you really want to know.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #251 : September 15, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »

IM me, or ask Kurugen if you really want to know.

PM okay?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #252 : September 15, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »

Yeah. Check your in-box.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #253 : September 16, 2007, 02:07:50 AM »

I want to see it... but when 'll is come to Hungary?  ???

And I can't read this thread. I don't want to know anything from the plot.  :-X Oh... may it will come quickly...

"Does this unit have a soul?"
lovelyrita
Bandido

Where are you going, for Christ's sake?

« #254 : September 16, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »

"This is what is magical about movies, is that you can bend the rules a bit. You can escape from realism for a couple hours. I love seeing this in westerns when it's not way over board. 3:10 to Yuma was in no way overboard. "

I have been trying to follow the discussion concerning this movie. I have included 2 posts prior to this one. I have to agree with much of what TB has said regarding this movie. Joe and Dave I really enjoy reading your posts as you have so much knowledge of this particular genre, I am nowhere as versed in this genre as you. But the fact of the matter is I love movies. I have since I was a girl and my passion has only grown. Don't get me wrong Leone was a MASTER and his films would hold up today. He was brilliant and than there was Morricone, that is another post. I get the feeling that you will always judge westerns against his. It is your benchmark.

I do agree with you about opening up the genre to this generation and increasing interest.

What seems to be your bone of contention are the inaccuracies in this movie. So what. The original very much reflected the time it was made. So the changes from the original made sense. It is 50 years later. BUT the crux of the story was the relationship between these two very different men. It was said that the lawmen of the time would have taken the offense.  Wade's gang was well known and ruthless to boot. Fear was the operative word here and that is a real, human emotion. I don't believe that all law enforcement in the old west would have had guns drawn immediately. Joe you talk about "basic concrete Western ditctums" and "this is the Wild West, you can't put a 21st century spin on it." Joe I heartily believe that movies reflect the times they are made in. I also believe and you can string me up but Leone would have never been able to make those same kinds of films in 40's and even in the 50's. The 60's hit and the rest is history. 

I am not going to tell you that I don't  appreciate authenticity but I am not a purist as I truly believe that a good movie takes you somewhere else for that 2 or 3 hours and leaves you thinking long after you walk out of the theatre into your own reality.

Ok I could go on but it would prove pointless as I am not trying to change your opinion or mess with your passion but maybe another way of looking at something and remembering that loving a movie is based on personal preference.  Yes the "facts" part can't be so way off that it becomes ridiculous and makes no sense.  I have seen a few of those. But what I look for in a good movie is heart and this movie had plenty of it. TB it appears was affected by the same feeling the movie left me with.

So I am guessing we are agreeing to disagree. Plus I need to move out of my "chicken thief" status on this board. LOL  :) so I should get posting and posting..

See you at the movies!

« : September 16, 2007, 12:29:42 PM lovelyrita »

"Did you make coffee?"
: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines