Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2019, 11:37:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rescue Dawn
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Rescue Dawn  ( 7525 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #15 : November 20, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »

Great! Now could you listen to the commentary and transcribe the whole thing for us? :D

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #16 : November 21, 2007, 10:47:32 AM »

Ehh... no thanks! I'm not much of a commentary-listener anyways.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #17 : November 21, 2007, 11:31:21 AM »

Even when it's done by the Great Werner himself? Dude, the Master speaketh!

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #18 : November 21, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

Why should I have to listen to his commentary when I listened to him talk about movies in person just last month? ;)

But I just watched Rescue Dawn again w/o commentary. FUCKING AMAZING!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #19 : November 21, 2007, 07:47:52 PM »

Why should I have to listen to his commentary when I listened to him talk about movies in person just last month? ;)
Once in a lifetime is enough for you, eh? I find the guy's comments endlessly entertaining. Every time he spouts one of his little sayings (like "Walking is virtue, tourism is sin") I roll on the floor with laughter. Only a dickfor would prefer a Ben Stiller movie to one of Werner's commentaries.

Franks Harmonica
Bandido

« #20 : November 23, 2007, 04:10:55 PM »

ALthough I am a huge Herzog and Bale fan (for the most part)  I found this film to be a real yawner. I never felt that Christian Bale gave his all in his performance, and I never got a sense of doom from the Guards.
The end .... One of the worst "Hollywood" endings IMO.

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #21 : November 23, 2007, 06:42:40 PM »

I agree - I didn't really go for the ending. At least it was immensely uplifting!

Just didn't quite fit in.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #22 : November 24, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »

This just opened in the UK, apparently:

From The Sunday Times
November 25, 2007
Rescue Dawn - The Sunday Times review
No grand gestures, no wild romanticism... This jungle ordeal is all too real
Cosmo Landesman

Werner Herzog’s first Hollywood feature takes him back to the lush jungle terrain and themes of earlier works such as Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo. Only now we have a director less anxious to show the world what a crazy artistic genius he is. Rescue Dawn is the work of a man who is tired of being a legend and wants to make a living. For a mainstream audience, it is Herzog’s most accessible, and enjoyable, film to date.

It’s a fictionalised version of his 1997 documentary Little Dieter Needs to Fly. In that film, Dieter Dengler — a German-born US navy pilot — told the story of how he was shot down over Laos and captured, then escaped a prisoner-of-war camp and survived in the surrounding jungle for 23 days. Herzog has turned the facts of Dengler’s life back into a powerful drama. The opening suggests we are set for another Vietnam film, with its slow-motion footage of American bombers at work over what we must assume is Laos. But Rescue Dawn has little in common with the ’Nam genre. You won’t hear a single sound of the 1960s: no Jimi, no Jim. And, despite its outward resemblance to The Deer Hunter, this is really an old- fashioned prison/survival film, occupying a space somewhere between The Shawshank Redemption and Touching the Void.

Only one scene evokes The Deer Hunter. Remember when, during a game of Russian roulette, Robert De Niro puts a gun to his head and gives a crazy laugh before pulling the trigger? Here we see the starving Dengler give the same kind of laugh — and put a handful of maggots into his mouth. Dengler is not your typical testosterone-driven Top Gun tough guy. He’s a classic Herzogian hero: the innocent with a big dream, doing battle with nature and himself. He is the man who walks through hell with a big smile on his face. At times, his boyish, goofy grin is a form of resistance — or a sign of insanity. It’s this lunacy that keeps him alive.

Herzog has avoided all questions of morality and politics. We are told that Dengler never wanted to go to war, he just wanted to fulfil his boyhood dream of being a pilot. Well, I’m sure there were plenty of American airlines that would have hired him. The thought that maybe the ordinary people of Laos paid a deathly price for Dengler’s dream is never raised. But whatever qualms we may have are soon quashed when, having been shot down on his first mission, he is tortured by Pathet Lao soldiers on their way to a POW camp. There he finds two starving Americans, Duane (Steve Zahn) and Gene (Jeremy Davies), along with three southeast Asians. Dengler is warned by his fellow Americans that if he keeps his head down and his mouth shut, they’ll soon be released. But he is certain he will escape. No flimsy bamboo hut can hold him, he tells the others. “Don’t you get it? The jungle is the prison,” replies one.

What follows is a gripping study of quiet heroism. Dengler survives without surrendering his humanity. The challenge he and the other inmates face is internal; the enemy is their own despair, which leads to defeatism. Dengler keeps these men alive with nothing but the belief that escape is possible.

Unlike his other tales from the jungle, Herzog’s new film is free of epic grandness. There’s none of the folie de grandeur of Fitzcarraldo; in place of crazed romanticism, we get down-to-earth realism. Herzog makes you feel the inmates’ hunger, the sheer physical discomfort of sleeping shackled to men who have to urinate and defecate in their clothes. You smell the rot of humanity as much as the humidity of the jungle. There, Dengler and Duane cling to each other as they hack their way through the foliage and face floods, leeches, insects, starvation and hallucinations. Herzog’s best films have always operated under the belief that, as far as actors are concerned, it’s no pain, no gain. You can tell he has put his cast through its paces on this one. We watch the brilliant Bale actually bite into a snake and eat maggots. Much has been said of his loss of weight in this and other roles, but check out Jeremy Davies’s skeletal frame.

Rescue Dawn may lack the iconoclasm and experimentalism of the Herzog of old, but it has a dramatic richness that grabs your guts and gives them a good shake.

12A, 125 mins

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #23 : February 03, 2008, 12:07:45 AM »

What a film! The Academy not nominating it for anything is completely laughable.  ;D

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #24 : February 03, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »

What a film! The Academy not nominating it for anything is completely laughable.  ;D
Blasphemy! with all the good films that came out this year, how could the academy pick this? not while there's masterpieces like JUNO  ::)

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines