Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 09:43:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Is Leone the ticket-seller or not?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Leone the ticket-seller or not?  (Read 31657 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »

I reviewed the DVD last night and discovered what might be causing the confusion here. There are TWO guys looking for Noodles, one of whom is Brega. Actually, there are several people after Noodles, and we have to go through a process of elimination until it becomes obvious who is who.

The credits cluster three characters: Mandy, Trigger, and Beefy. Although we know that Mandy is played by Brega, since no one in this trio is addressed by name, we have to rely on other clues. In the first scene with Eve we are introduced to 3 gangsters; one guy seems to be in charge, one man shoots Eve, and the other guy, who has a moustache, we never see again (he gets told to stay behind). Since moustache man only has one scene, he must come farther down in the credit roll than the trio (who each have 2 or more scenes) and is therefore not one of the trio. Next we have the scene where Moe is being worked over. The guy who shot Eve shoots the punching bag beside Moe. This guy seems to have an itchy trigger finger, so, he is undoubtedly Trigger (Ray Dittrich). There is also a new gangster in this scene, whom we only catch a glimpse of twice (he's leaning on a table, smoking). The talkative gangster tells Trigger to stay behind while he and the third man go to the Chinese theater (he signals the third man with a movement of his head). So, the two men who go to the theater must be Beefy and Mandy. When we get to the theater we can see the new man better as he starts pulling the hats off of people: clearly, this is Brega. The leader of the gangsters, the talkative one, must be Beefy, played by Frank Gio.

As far as Joey Faye is concerned I'm at a loss, as there are no adorable old men in the film...

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2006, 12:23:17 AM »

Someone posted a screen capture a while back, and it definitely is Brega.  In this film he has NO beard, and is way, way slimmer.  Try stop-action frame by frame on the DVD; maybe someone can search and find the thread or repost.   http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2428.0
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1280.0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2006, 04:52:03 PM »

Juan Miranda: I've sussed it.

When Noodles gets out of prison, he is met by Max who explains they are now operating a funeral business. He is driving a hearse in which there is a body; Max claims he's in the middle of a job. He has Noodles inspect the goods, a very attractive young lady who promptly comes to life and pulls Noodles down on top of her. Max closes the hearse door and heads to the driver's seat. As he is doing this, a passerby notices the commotion in the vehicle and looks inside. Max makes some comment about the dead always turning over in their grave or something. The scene ends with a reaction shot of the passerby, a bit of comedic underlining. That passerby is Joey Faye.

I leave it to you to decide whether he is adorable or not, but he certainly qualifies as old (born, according to the imdb, in 1909). I figured out who he was by first watching his performance (as a waiter) in Martin Ritt's The Front.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 04:54:14 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2006, 06:36:32 PM »

That's what I said.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2006, 07:27:45 PM »

Actually, you gave us a choice of either the drunk guy Noodles and the boys wanted to roll, or the guy outside the hearse. It's the guy outside the hearse.

Now, WHO plays the ticket-seller?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 07:47:55 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »

Yeah, but who is the "Adorable Old Man"? (the record's stuck... stuck... stuck...)

Are you talking about the amazed old guy in the scene when Max came to pick up Noodles when he left the prison?

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2006, 08:24:14 PM »

Evidently.

Paco Belmondo
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »

The ticket seller is played by an actor named Bob Robertson.   Grin

Seriously, though, even the shapes of their ears are different.  From a distance, they're similar.  Maybe it was intentional on Leone's part to see if he could confuse some people.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 04:16:43 AM »

If you're trying to sway public opinion, I suggest losing the pompous, arrogant atitude.

Stephen Pelletier
www.onceuponatimeinamerica.com

HA HA HA! This guy is great! To bad he never came back. He is a lovable arse!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2006, 06:54:58 AM »

I agree except for the loveable part Firecracker.  Grin

Some idiot on the IMDB is starting up this rumor again.  Somebody else thinks they saw Leone in the Miami Beach scene (can't vouch for that).

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2006, 06:27:45 AM »

BTW, in response to a thread debunking the "Leone is the ticket seller" garbage, I got this reply (apparently from our own Don Rogers - but correct me if I'm wrong):

Well, if you're going to meet woolly speculation with nothing more than facts and straightforward reasoning, then I say to you: Sir, you are on the wrong board.

Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
Don Rogers
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2006, 08:36:46 AM »

You are not wrong.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM