Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:58:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  new discovery! The pocket watches aren't identical
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: new discovery! The pocket watches aren't identical  (Read 10687 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2007, 08:55:45 PM »

I was rewatching FAFDM today and made a new discovery, its one of these great tid bits of info you don't expect to find but never the less you do.

The two pocket watches are not exactly identical!

They are actually a his & hers set, with his watch (the husband's) the one that Indio steals a bit larger in diameter than Mortimer's sister's watch. you can see the difference during the first flashback while they are still in the box at approximately 1:02:35 into the film. You can also see the difference at the final shootout while Indio and Monco are holding them.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:20:31 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »

I was rewatching FAFDM today and made a new discovery, its one of these great tid bits of info you don't expect to find but never the less you do.

They are actually a his & hers set, with his watch (the husband's) the one that Indio steals a bit larger in diameter than Mortimer's sister's watch. you can see the difference during the first flashback while they are still in the box at approximately 1:02:35 into the film. You can also see the difference at the final shootout while Indio and Monco are holding them.

Interesting discovery cigar. The watch debate has always confused me quite a bit. I think we've all talked about this here before. Your discovery makes perfect sense. I'm going to watch it again soon and look for this. I hope this clears everything up for me! Great post my friend.  Smiley

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 02:25:23 AM »

I'm ashamed to admit it but never saw the two watches in the heart shaped box, or if I did I forgot about it. Anyway couple of questions then.....Is there a picture of the girl in both watches. I would have thought that The husbands would have had a picture of her in, and her watch had a picture of the husband...no?

Also, why would Indio not have taken both watches. They must have been worth a something to a thief/bandit......Gold?

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 05:21:06 AM »

I would have thought that The husbands would have had a picture of her in, and her watch had a picture of the husband...no?

Thats what I would assume too, do we ever see the pic in the smaller watch?, but that could also be the answer to the question below, Indio only took the one with her pic.

Another explanation could be that after the killings Mortimer, in remembrence of his sister, replaced the pic of the husband with another pic of his sister.

Also, why would Indio not have taken both watches. They must have been worth a something to a thief/bandit......Gold?

He was a bit tramatized I would think.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:24:03 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 05:36:16 AM »

Oh, no, that watch means for him not "gold".  Cry     Do you think he would send it? Never. It's some "preciousss" for him. A relic, or hallow, or how you say it. He wanted keep it in the death, remember? It's so sad when Mortimer takes it...  Cry So... humilitating!
Perhaps in the other watch were the boy, but Mortimer changed the pic.
(Or we are by the old "who is the girl" question...)

"Does this unit have a soul?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »

I think Mortie would rather look at his sisters image, no? Cool

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 05:37:32 AM »

I think Mortie would rather look at his sisters image, no? Cool

Of course. He must have been replaced it.

Good discovery buddy. I didn`t notice that before.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:38:53 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:31:51 AM »

That's strange, I've known this from the begining and thought it to be common knowledge - so common that nobody bothered with bringing it up. I see I was wrong... Huh

But this clears up one thing for me - Indio definitelly took just the watch with the girl's picture, in the other one was the boy and Mortimer replaced it. I wasn't quite sure about it, but now it makes perfect sense to me.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »

That's strange, I've known this from the begining and thought it to be common knowledge - so common that nobody bothered with bringing it up. I see I was wrong...

You were wrong ! I never notice before.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:28 PM »

Marmota must have an incredible eye to catch that.  Good work!  Usmev.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:18:17 AM »

Mortimer's watch is really clearly smaller, even in the scenes only with it, when Mortimer holds it, you can notice it's much smaller than the one Indio has... I guess nobody noticed it because nobody focused on it, while I somehow have a habit of noticing such things, I guess it comes from my maybe 13 years of art courses... while there are other types of things I never notice. Wink

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 05:36:32 AM »

Mortimer's watch is really clearly smaller, even in the scenes only with it, when Mortimer holds it, you can notice it's much smaller than the one Indio has... I guess nobody noticed it because nobody focused on it, while I somehow have a habit of noticing such things, I guess it comes from my maybe 13 years of art courses... while there are other types of things I never notice.

Well you know what that means...... now you should comment on things in the other films that the rest of us have not noticed!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 09:40:18 AM »

Yipes - this makes sense.  Indio would've taken the husband's pocket watch because it had Mortimer's sister photo in it, while her matching pocket watch (a smaller one, for a woman) would've had the husbancd's photo.  Mortimer took the remaining smaller watch (hers) and replaced the photo of the husband with that of his sister.  My guess is that this just wasn't happenstance, that Sergio or someone else thought it out.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:59 AM »

Well you know what that means...... now you should comment on things in the other films that the rest of us have not noticed!

I should think about it... Roll Eyes What about my thought that McBain massacre scene, though peaceful in the begining, actually starts with a shot seen in close-up? When I saw it for the first time, I was REALLY scared. And I still am.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »

I should think about it... Roll Eyes What about my thought that McBain massacre scene, though peaceful in the begining, actually starts with a shot seen in close-up? When I saw it for the first time, I was REALLY scared. And I still am.

It's amazing how some of these scenes have that lasting effect on us. Sergio has given us many, many scenes like this, scenes we'll never forget.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM