Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:15:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  new discovery! The pocket watches aren't identical
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new discovery! The pocket watches aren't identical  (Read 10832 times)
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:14:18 AM »

It's amazing how some of these scenes have that lasting effect on us. Sergio has given us many, many scenes like this, scenes we'll never forget.

I totally agree,  Afro   but I must add that in my opinion, not just "some scenes", but the whole Leone`s movies have that "lasting effect" (leastways on me)... Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Musical pocket watches, here below now if only they came out with the "Sixty Seconds To What" theme!

http://www.automates-anciens.com/english_version/automatons-music-boxes/reuge-pocket-watches.php

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »

1. Just watched the final duel in FAFDM again, and there is something I never figured out: how/why did Manco take Mortimer's watch? When Manco suddenly appears with the watch, Mortimer checks his pocket and realizes his is gone; but there is no explanation as to why Manco took it.... It doesn't make sense that he'd steal it from his partner (if there was tension in the partnership), and he certainly couldn't have expected to need it for purposes of refereeing that final duel...? the only thing that makes sense is that perhaps it simply broke off, and Mortimer lost it without realizing it, and Manco recovered it??? That doesn't make sense either... I am wondering if anyone has an explanation as to how/why Manco has Mortimer's watch?

2. On a note unrelated to the watches: I am pretty sure that the sherrif in Tucumcari (who gives the $1000 bounty to Mortimer) is dubbed in English by the same voice as the one who dubbed Silvanito (the bartender) in FOD. Anyone else notice this?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »

1. Just watched the final duel in FAFDM again, and there is something I never figured out: how/why did Manco take Mortimer's watch? When Manco suddenly appears with the watch, Mortimer checks his pocket and realizes his is gone; but there is no explanation as to why Manco took it.... It doesn't make sense that he'd steal it from his partner (if there was tension in the partnership), and he certainly couldn't have expected to need it for purposes of refereeing that final duel...? the only thing that makes sense is that perhaps it simply broke off, and Mortimer lost it without realizing it, and Manco recovered it??? That doesn't make sense either... I am wondering if anyone has an explanation as to how/why Manco has Mortimer's watch?

2. On a note unrelated to the watches: I am pretty sure that the sherrif in Tucumcari (who gives the $1000 bounty to Mortimer) is dubbed in English by the same voice as the one who dubbed Silvanito (the bartender) in FOD. Anyone else notice this?

1. we sort of covered this before & came to the conclusion that Manco probably picked it up during the Indio Gang/Manco/Mortimer beating sequence.

2. not sure about this one.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »

we sort of covered this before & came to the conclusion that Manco probably picked it up during the Indio Gang/Manco/Mortimer beating sequence.

and in all the time since then he never returned it?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 05:22:39 AM »

You have a better explanation? Its the only possible time, Manco saw it on the ground and palmed it slipped it into a pocket. Besides, they had a lot on their minds at the time just getting cut free by Nino I'm sure it wasn't top priority.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »

Let's ask titoli, shall we? The man who disallows Cary Grant's "magic pockets" in NxNW must have a logical, rock-solid explanation for Manco's possession of Mortimer's watch. An explanation with nary a whiff of the fantastic.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »

and in all the time since then he never returned it?

What time... weren't they tied up right after getting beat?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:35 PM »

What time... weren't they tied up right after getting beat?

yeah, but then they were released by Nino at night; and then they didn't begin picking off Indio's men till the daytime... I would have preferred if there had been a brief sequence showing that Mortimer lost it during the beating and Manco picking it up; maybe it was part of the beating sequence that wasn't released...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 01:11:27 PM »

yeah, but then they were released by Nino at night; and then they didn't begin picking off Indio's men till the daytime... I would have preferred if there had been a brief sequence showing that Mortimer lost it during the beating and Manco picking it up; maybe it was part of the beating sequence that wasn't released...

Maybe, there is two thoughts on this last sequence, I always thought that they were released in the early hours of the morning (I think there is a rooster crowing) then they either hunt down all of Indio's gang before sunup and Mortimer rides off to the East into the rising sun, that wouldn't give them much time, or the hunting down of Indio's gang takes all day and Mortimer rides off into the sunset.

The script may explain it, if anyone has a copy of it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:12:45 PM by cigar joe » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »

Maybe, there is two thoughts on this last sequence, I always thought that they were released in the early hours of the morning (I think there is a rooster crowing) then they either hunt down all of Indio's gang before sunup and Mortimer rides off to the East into the rising sun, that wouldn't give them much time, or the hunting down of Indio's gang takes all day and Mortimer rides off into the sunset.

The script may explain it, if anyone has a copy of it.

If the shootout takes all day, Leone should have inserted some way of showing the passage of time; the shootout with Indio's gang seems rather quick, (and the only thing that slows it all down briefly is Indio's final flashback).

Whether it is sunset or sunrise, it was a mistake by Leone IMO (perish the thought Wink)
cuz the final duel, and Manco's gathering of the bodies are in very strong daylight, so it makes no sense that Mortimer would be riding into either a sunrise or sunset. I think that is poor editing/continuity....

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:11:37 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

sadhill
Bandido

"Un-k...Un-K......... There's no name on it."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »

Sorry I'm late for this topic, I must have lost my watch Wink!

Musicalpocketwatch
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »

I Think Sometimes it's Good that Sergio Lets You imagine yourself how the watch got into mancos hands....I Must Say when i first saw the End Duel It Was a Surprise to me...just as much as Mortimer that Manco had his watch...and Creates one of the best Duel Scenes in Spaggeti Western History(in My opinion)....

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM