Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2018, 04:24:58 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bergman dead at 89
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: Bergman dead at 89  ( 10151 )
KevinJCBJK

« #30 : August 13, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »

That's a lot. I'm a lucky person. :) (Though I think it was more than six years... I've wanted to see it ever since I've heard that title music and that must have been loooong ago.)

Excuse me? ??? What did you mean by that?

Yeah...I hope to see Seventh Seal before I turned 20  ;)

Oh just the abbreviation...not my thing.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #31 : August 13, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »

Oh just the abbreviation...not my thing.

Well, usually I don't like such abbreviations as well, but somehow I got used to it, it's useful on the board, when you write the title over and over... but in Czech I would never use such abbreviation. Also because in Czech the title is shorter. ;D

Yeah...I hope to see Seventh Seal before I turned 20  ;)

So, if you're speaking this way, it took me 16 years to see GBU. 18, almost 19 years with the best film I know so far... As with Seventh Seal - I think I was 18 when I saw it. I can't remember properly. It was in school. But I think it wasn't last September, because last September I saw Red Beard for the first time, so Seventh Seal was probably the previous year. So maybe even 17, actually... that makes it only one year after GBU. That's strange. GBU changed so much for me...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
KevinJCBJK

« #32 : August 13, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »

Well, usually I don't like such abbreviations as well, but somehow I got used to it, it's useful on the board, when you write the title over and over... but in Czech I would never use such abbreviation. Also because in Czech the title is shorter. ;D

So, if you're speaking this way, it took me 16 years to see GBU. 18, almost 19 years with the best film I know so far... As with Seventh Seal - I think I was 18 when I saw it. I can't remember properly. It was in school. But I think it wasn't last September, because last September I saw Red Beard for the first time, so Seventh Seal was probably the previous year. So maybe even 17, actually... that makes it only one year after GBU. That's strange. GBU changed so much for me...

I think I was 17 when I started watching good movies.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #33 : August 13, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »

I think I was 17 when I started watching good movies.

I started watching good films sooner, but I started enjoying them when I was 16, begining with GBU... that makes that film very special to me. However, Seventh Seal was probably the first one by a famous director about whom I'd always heard and never saw something, and liked it when I did. Later Bergman disappointed me, but Seventh Seal is sitting on my shelf as the second DVD I've ever got and the first DVD I went to buy myself.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
KevinJCBJK

« #34 : August 13, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »

Maybe when I got out this week I'll see if I can rent it.

kuwabatake

« #35 : August 14, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »

sad that he died :'(

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #36 : September 22, 2010, 05:26:18 AM »

Yes! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/the_magician_blu-ray.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #37 : September 22, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »

Yes! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/the_magician_blu-ray.htm
Did they have Google translator back in 1958 or why is Ansiktet (The Face) translated as "The Magician"?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #38 : September 23, 2010, 04:34:35 AM »

Because . . . it's a better title?

Sometimes they don't just translate the title, they give a different one, and sometimes that's a good thing. Just ask Wim Wenders. He thinks "Wings of Desire" is much better than "Der Himmel Uber Berlin" (and he's right).

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #39 : September 23, 2010, 04:32:37 PM »

Did they have Google translator back in 1958 or why is Ansiktet (The Face) translated as "The Magician"?

Here's a rather wild guess: there's a magician of some sort in the movie.

Just a thought.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #40 : February 07, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »

https://filmforum.org/series/ingmar-bergman-centennial-retrospective-series#now-playing

Some of the rarer titles might be worth making the trip for.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #41 : February 07, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »

. Just ask Wim Wenders. He thinks "Wings of Desire" is much better than "Der Himmel über Berlin" (and he's right).

Btw, absolutely not ...

The Heaven above Berlin, I love that.

« : February 07, 2018, 01:03:47 PM stanton »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #42 : February 07, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »

So glad you can keep up with a conversation from 7 years ago.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #43 : February 07, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »

Yes, kinda amazing, isn't it?

« : February 07, 2018, 05:14:32 PM stanton »

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines