Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 04:44:35 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bergman dead at 89
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Bergman dead at 89  ( 10633 )
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« : July 30, 2007, 03:32:51 AM »

Woke up this morning to the news that Ingmar Bergman is dead. Although he reached quite a grand age, it is still sad to hear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6921960.stm

According to some of his later statements, his many long years of life had at least lead him to some sense of peace of and purpose in existence, something many of charaters were never able to achieve.

To say his was an irreplaceable talent is a vast understatement.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #1 : July 30, 2007, 03:43:45 AM »

:'( :'( :'(

This is very sad...  :'(
He'll be missed.  :(

But he lives forever in his movies.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #2 : July 30, 2007, 04:09:19 AM »

Another great one passes :(

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : July 30, 2007, 04:30:22 AM »

I thought he was already dead.  ???

Sad nevertheless.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : July 30, 2007, 04:53:52 AM »

According to some of his later statements, his many long years of life had at least lead him to some sense of peace of and purpose in existence, something many of charaters were never able to achieve.

You can't make movies with characters at peace with themselves. Or, if you do, they are a bore.

I was never a fan of his. His last feature, Fanny and Alexander, was a melodramatic movie in the Hollywood '30's mould, I really couldn't believe he could produce such crap. At least his other movies (I've seen them all, or almost) tried to make a show out of apparently profound (and uncinematographical) questions: Does God exist or is he gone to the bathroom? What is life's meaning and why my wife  keeps banging with another man?
 It was better he retired.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5 : July 30, 2007, 05:24:49 AM »

That's exactly what i wouldn't like people say when i'll die...

( i though the same, CJ)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #6 : July 30, 2007, 06:22:33 AM »

Sad nevertheless.

I did as well cigar. Wow, shocking news to me. He will be surely missed! Another great one takin' from us.  :(

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #7 : July 30, 2007, 10:57:04 AM »

I thought the same.

I have only seen the "Seventh Seal" and it was enough for me to make him notable as an artist.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Rojo Ramone
Bandido

« #8 : July 30, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »

Very sad news.
But he left us with a lot of brilliant films.
BTW FANNY & ALEXANDER is NOT a piece of crap, it was his last great work of art.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #9 : July 30, 2007, 11:26:44 AM »

I saw only The Magic Flute and Tystnaden, but they were great. Not my favourite director, but I respect him. When I hear his name I think to beautiful black-and-white closeups, especially from women's faces... (Ingrid Thulin, Liv Ullmann and others)

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #10 : July 30, 2007, 11:51:17 AM »

one of the very few true geniuses of film art. Woody will be very very sad.

He shot a lot. Like Kurosawa some great stuff and some not so great. I adore his work from the late 50's to the early 60's. WILD STRAWBERRIES is my favorite. 

When the swedish government approached him with tax-problems in a film studio in the mid-70's, he was so upset with his country he just left and moved to Munich. There they build a complete street for him (THE SERPENTS EGG) which was/is in use for numerous films since then (Fassbinder & co). You've been to Geiselgasteig/Bavaria Studios you know the street...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #11 : July 30, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »

I came back from the USA where I was for a month with generally no news. (I didn't have time for that. :P)

The first news my father told me about was like this: "Recently I was wondering if Bergman was still alive. Today I came to the news site and saw he wasn't anymore."
The first news I heard. That's quite strange. And it sounds a bit rude when written, but it actually wasn't, he showed me the news site, where he always goes, saying something like there's something I should know, and pointed that to me with those words.

Bergman isn't much of my cup of tea, I got quite afraid of watching his other films after seeing Persona and parts of Fanny & Alexander, but I really liked Seventh Seal, the first of his films I saw. (After all, being afraid of watching more might be one of the ways to say his films are VERY impressive.)

I should watch Seventh Seal again next time I have time and peace for it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12 : July 30, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »

where did you go in the USA?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #13 : July 31, 2007, 06:09:29 AM »

where did you go in the USA?

Everything will be in my thread about it as soon as I have time for it... now I'm going to my friend soon (she got the right to be the first after my family, I've known her since I was 3) and I don't want to spoil this thread with it.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #14 : August 02, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »

I can imagine as his king is defenseless, and he looks at Death... and Death says him: "Yeah, checkmate... I'm sorry..."

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines