Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:57:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The popularity of TGTBATU among mainstream film goers versus his other works.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The popularity of TGTBATU among mainstream film goers versus his other works.  (Read 18684 times)
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »

thanx.

sb4
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 04:25:57 PM »

This topic was brought up in the Elimination thread, but I thought I'd respond to it here.

I think GBU represents a master at the top of his game.  His films had steadily improved up to this point, and by the time of GBU it feels like Leone is on a roll.
Of course, one could say the same thing about OUATITW, but that film lacks a few crucial components that make GBU special in my opinion.

Topping the list would have to be Tuco, possibly the funniest, most entertaining character ever to appear in a Leone film.  Steiger was great in Sucker, but Tuco is...well, Tuco.  The interplay between Tuco and Blondie is a beautiful thing.  Add Van Cleef to the mix and you've basically got a perfect cast.

Another thing that probably makes GBU more popular is the fact that it is more of an action film than OUATITW.  OUATITW is almost more of a mood piece than an action flick (not a bad thing...just different).  GBU is arguably a more upbeat film than OUATITW.   

Then there's Morricone's score.  I have to admit that I personally love the OUATITW score every bit as much (maybe more), but the GBU theme is one of the most recognizable pieces of music in film history.

And last but not least, I'm sure the film does benefit from the fact that it contains Eastwood's "Man With No Name."   

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:31:20 PM by sb4 » Logged

"It's A Small World."

"Yes, and very, very bad."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 05:10:15 PM »

I agree with sb4. His first film was Colossus of Rhodes is... ok. FOD, and FAFDM are good. GBU, OUATiTW, OUATiA are gifts from above.

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »

Forgot: DYS is as good as FOD and FAFDM, but more original.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 04:17:50 PM »

For me....definitely have DYS in that gift category....way better than good.  I like all the films.  I really like the character development, relationship between the two leads and the acting between Coburn and Steiger.....and of course another really great score.  The only film that is comparable in character depth is OUATIA.  For me, I appreciate his growth with each film from GBU.  By no means do I slight the great achievement of GBU, I just don't consider it an apex .......I really like what I see in his films that came afterward.  I understand why it's his most popular film though.  I think it's going to be very interesting to see how the following of DYS will increase through the years now that it will be a little more accessible with the recent restored R1 DVD release.....    

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 05:43:12 PM »

For me....definitely have DYS in that gift category....way better than good.  I like all the films.  I really like the character development, relationship between the two leads and the acting between Coburn and Steiger.....and of course another really great score.  The only film that is comparable in character depth is OUATIA.  For me, I appreciate his growth with each film from GBU.  By no means do I slight the great achievement of GBU, I just don't consider it an apex .......I really like what I see in his films that came afterward.  I understand why it's his most popular film though.  I think it's going to be very interesting to see how the following of DYS will increase through the years now that it will be a little more accessible with the recent restored R1 DVD release.....    
True, for me GBU is an action film. Not to say it's plotless though. It's my second favorite. OUATiA is my favorite, that's an intense character study. You don't see too many films like that. I also like de Niro and Eastwood the same, although de Niro would be my choice for the better actor, if I were forced to choose.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »

True, for me GBU is an action film. Not to say it's plotless though. It's my second favorite. OUATiA is my favorite, that's an intense character study. You don't see too many films like that. I also like de Niro and Eastwood the same, although de Niro would be my choice for the better actor, if I were forced to choose.

GBU is in no way an action film.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »

GBU is in no way an action film.
Well to each his own, but it's definitely not a character study in the way OUATiA is. How can you study a man who doesn't even have a name? He's supposed to be like a ronin. A lone samurai. As for Angel Eyes he doesn't seem to have a real name either. Sentenza is Italian for sentence. I don't know if that's a real Italian name, but I doubt it. Not to try to start an argument, but how isn't it an action film? I'm not saying it's just like Mad Max or Die Hard, but I wouldn't call it a drama either. It's got dramatic parts, and it's got action packed parts. Maybe action film wasn't the right word, but you cross that out and all I have is "western". Kind of simple, but that's what it is. So what would you call it?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

A Western/Adventure film.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 07:24:57 PM »

Yeah, good one. I wouldn't call it a war movie. The Civil War thing seemed more like a subplot to me.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 03:58:42 AM »

That's exactly what it is and that's exactly what I like it to be. Smiley

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »

I'd call it, as it has always been over here, Western all'italiana. 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2007, 05:36:15 AM »

I'd call it, as it has always been over here, Western all'italiana. 

Techically yes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »

It's an epic adventure film with iconic characters - plus it has a huge reputation. Simple enough?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »

It's an epic adventure film with iconic characters - plus it has a huge reputation. Simple enough?
Yeah, western/adventure works best.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM