Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 06:24:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The popularity of TGTBATU among mainstream film goers versus his other works.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The popularity of TGTBATU among mainstream film goers versus his other works.  (Read 18268 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »

It's funny though among everyone here, for the most part, you would think GBU is one of Leone's lesser works.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »

It was the title of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly that kept me interested, and when I was fipping through the chanels, the opening credits were rolling with Ennio's classic score, and I was sucked in.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2007, 03:41:53 PM »

It's funny though among everyone here, for the most part, you would think GBU is one of Leone's lesser works.

Why? Just because the OUAT films are higher rated? I think GBU is one of Sergio's three masterpieces myself.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »

agree with groggy Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 02:46:12 AM »

agree with groggy Afro

Me too.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 08:59:32 AM »

Why? Just because the OUAT films are higher rated? I think GBU is one of Sergio's three masterpieces myself.

Are you people nuts. I think you misunderstood me. I think GBU is arguably the greatest western ever made. It's a masterpiece and all of you who have been talking to me on here the past year or so should realize that. I was just saying, many people here, the regulars that is; This is not their favorite. That's all I'm saying.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2007, 10:50:49 PM »

I agree with TB. It's an amazing work, but it sometimes seems minor compared to his other films. In the elimination, GBU has 'bout 15. OUATiTW has 'bout 30.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 11:01:50 PM »

Yeah, western/adventure works best.

Also in ways it's more exciting to watch than Once Upon a Time in the West, though I do feel the latter is the better film, GBU is the epic/adventure western, while Once Upon a Time in the West was more of an art western, which couldn't have been made if Sergio hasn't broken all the rules in The Dollars Trilogy.

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 11:10:21 PM »

Also in ways it's more exciting to watch than Once Upon a Time in the West, though I do feel the latter is the better film, GBU is the epic/adventure western, while Once Upon a Time in the West was more of an art western, which couldn't have been made if Sergio hasn't broken all the rules in The Dollars Trilogy.
I agree. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: all the films from the OUAT series have better plots, and are more or less better films from a tecnical POV, but GBU has the most intrigue.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »

I was just saying, many people here, the regulars that is; This is not their favorite. That's all I'm saying.

Well, not my favourite, but a close one.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »

And GBU is an epic, over more than 9 months, while Once/West actually occurs over just a few days (not counting the flashback).  Both are great, and will be considered great years and years from now.  Like which will be remembered: "Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn or "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves"?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 11:42:22 PM »

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: all the films from the OUAT series have better plots, and are more or less better films from a tecnical POV, but GBU has the most intrigue.
Have to disagree here. GBU has one of the best plots ever devised. In fact, there is so much going on in it that that is probably why it hasn't been remade yet: the remakers would have to cut so much story that they'd end up with something they could no longer call GBU. OUATITW, on the other hand, has too little story for a remake. Imagine Michael Bay re-doing it: it would have a running time of half an hour! The plot of West is secondary to the mode of presentation; it's not that the story is unimportant; but the story is there mainly so Leone/Morricone can embellish it. The opera analogy is again apt. Who goes to Lohengrin, for example, for the plot? One goes, rather, to hear Wagner's music. Who watches OUATITW 50 times for the story? I got it the first time; I have yet, however, to exhaust all that is contained in the images and the music (or the images with the music). But with GBU, the plot can be appreciated on its own, apart from images and music (which is what makes things like Cigar Joe's timeline so much fun; the story can stand elaboration, further detailing, digressions and additional scenes. It can expand, almost infinitely). GBU is a modern Odyssey (or Argonautica, or Orlando Furioso, or what you will).

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2007, 01:10:43 AM »

GBU has one of the best plots ever devised. In fact, there is so much going on in it that that is probably why it hasn't been remade yet: the remakers would have to cut so much story that they'd end up with something they could no longer call GBU. OUATITW, on the other hand, has too little story for a remake.... But with GBU, the plot can be appreciated on its own, apart from images and music (which is what makes things like Cigar Joe's timeline so much fun; the story can stand elaboration, further detailing, digressions and additional scenes. It can expand, almost infinitely). GBU is a modern Odyssey (or Argonautica, or Orlando Furioso, or what you will).

I agree. A lot. Smiley And hope people will be wise enough not to try to remake GBU. But I suppose it could be only letdown, anyway, and that anyone could see the letdown, so people would still love good old 1966 GBU.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2007, 09:21:33 AM »

The only Leone film that someone will try to remake is A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and nothing more.

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »

Have to disagree here. GBU has one of the best plots ever devised. In fact, there is so much going on in it that that is probably why it hasn't been remade yet: the remakers would have to cut so much story that they'd end up with something they could no longer call GBU. OUATITW, on the other hand, has too little story for a remake. Imagine Michael Bay re-doing it: it would have a running time of half an hour! The plot of West is secondary to the mode of presentation; it's not that the story is unimportant; but the story is there mainly so Leone/Morricone can embellish it. The opera analogy is again apt. Who goes to Lohengrin, for example, for the plot? One goes, rather, to hear Wagner's music. Who watches OUATITW 50 times for the story? I got it the first time; I have yet, however, to exhaust all that is contained in the images and the music (or the images with the music). But with GBU, the plot can be appreciated on its own, apart from images and music (which is what makes things like Cigar Joe's timeline so much fun; the story can stand elaboration, further detailing, digressions and additional scenes. It can expand, almost infinitely). GBU is a modern Odyssey (or Argonautica, or Orlando Furioso, or what you will).
It's a good plot, but when you try to summarize the whole movie in one sentence, it comes out like "three bounty hunters on a quest for gold". Westerns about the quest for gold (or money) have been made before. That's an easy plot to remember. The point is, he takes that idea, and makes it into a well thought out, detailed film. In "1001 Movies to See Before You Die", the reviewer of GBU states that "Leone isn't terribly interested in plot, instead he focuses on detail". That's what I mean. Plotwise, GBU isn't Once Upon a Time in America, but they're both brilliant. Like 2001: A Space Odyssey, GBU isn't thought of as a stupid movie. Both are very intelligent. 2001 and GBU are more like visual experiences.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 02:20:30 PM by Mw/NNrules » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM