Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:44:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The popularity of TGTBATU among mainstream film goers versus his other works.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The popularity of TGTBATU among mainstream film goers versus his other works.  (Read 18291 times)
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

The only Leone film that someone will try to remake is A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and nothing more.
What about Colossus of Rhodes? I'd actually be interested in seeing a remake of that.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 04:27:11 PM »

What about Colossus of Rhodes? I'd actually be interested in seeing a remake of that.

That would be a very good idea.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »

That would be a very good idea.
Overall, the film is okay, but could've been better. There's a review of it on Imdb which says that the film was just a cheap venture for money, and that as a newcomer to the director seat, Leone wouldn't have much control. That's what I like to think. A little hard to believe that the director's second movie, came directly after that. Well there are some directors who've made good and bad, it's just that FoD is such a drastic rise.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »

It's a good plot, but when you try to summarize the whole movie in one sentence, it comes out like "three bounty hunters on a quest for gold". Westerns about the quest for gold (or money) have been made before. That's an easy plot to remember. The point is, he takes that idea, and makes it into a well thought out, detailed film. In "1001 Movies to See Before You Die", the reviewer of GBU states that "Leone isn't terribly interested in plot, instead he focuses on detail". That's what I mean. Plotwise, GBU isn't Once Upon a Time in America, but they're both brilliant. Like 2001: A Space Odyssey, GBU isn't thought of as a stupid movie. Both are very intelligent. 2001 and GBU are more like visual experiences.
Have you ever heard of the movie about a gang of criminals who plan to do "their last gig and then retire"? Roll Eyes

"Three bounty hunters on a quest for gold" is only the problem/situation we are given in the beginning. What makes the plot so unique are the countless fresh twists and the slight differences in the morals of the main characters, IMO.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »

What makes the plot so unique are the countless fresh twists and the slight differences in the morals of the main characters, IMO.
I agree. It broke the rules of the American Western. All I'm saying is it's not a plot that gets you thinking in the way that OUATiA does.

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2013, 06:48:12 PM »

A treasure hunt with layers haha

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM