Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 07:03:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What`s with the fly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What`s with the fly?  (Read 18252 times)
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 03:30:07 AM »

Great pictures Sadhill! Afro

Bill. I think you're just obsessed with fly's.  Grin

Grin No I`m not.  Grin

Nevertheless that I very much respect all of yours comments and opinions I think that the "fly scenes" is not something that happend by accident. I think that is a great idea by great artist.

One other thing: I just think that`s a big mistake that the fly (or flies - I don`t know how you spell it correctly) is not mention in the "credits". You know, at the end of cast list - "and introducing: The Fly - as herself". Grin Afro   If no one else, maybe the Academy would nominated "her" for an "Oscar for supporting role"! She deserved it.  Grin

I agree with Marqkin, it difficult to avoid flies in Almeria. I remeber once in the early evening at Cortijo Fraile (Father Antonio mission) there were thousands of the things, made it difficult to even stop for a few minutes and take a few stills. When I got back in the car at least 20 of them sneaked in, must have liked the cool air conditioning.

I was very surprised when I read that they put jam on Jack Elam's beard to attract them. I've never had any trouble attracting them, maybe I should change my soap  Cry.

That`s what I`m getting at. There is much of them in Almeria, O.K. but if just that is the case, then why there are not any flys in some other scenes in which you would expect them to show. For example, in the scene when Angel Eyes and Stevens eats at the begining of the film, or in the scene in prison camp when Tuco and Angel Eyes eats... etc. If it`s just a case that there is so many flys, and that "their participation" is not Leone`s intention, why there are not any flys in scenes that I mention - scenes in which you have "food involved". I presume that the fly would, before anything else, first go on the food (or be near the food) and not on someones face or pillow... If they are accidently there, you could expect them to be near the food! Yet, there were no flys in those scenes at all!

Better say, why would they put jam on Elam`s face if Leone didn`t intentionaly wanted to make such a scene?

And like I said at the begining, in my first message, in GBU you have them always when death is involved. Look at the Sadhill`s photos:
1. is from scene in desert - where as we know Tuco practicaly killed Blondie + coach with Bill and the others - all dead;
2. and 3. are from the monastery where you have many wounded and dying soldiers (3. Blondie half-dead);
4. scene in prison camp - Union captain who is dying too.

Not to mention OUATIW and Elam, who gets killed minutes after the scene with the fly...

Something to think about if you saying that there is no "simbol" or "meaning"...

... I can`t say this is the fact, but to much "co-incidances", wouldn`t you say?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:40:48 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 04:18:24 AM »

How do you know that the Fly is a female?  Grin

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 04:30:35 AM »

How do you know that the Fly is a female?  Grin

Grin   Ha-ha-ha   Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 05:27:15 AM »

Is fly female in your language, too? It is in Czech.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 05:29:15 AM »

I think the interiors were shot in Rome maybe that's why no flies.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 05:36:09 AM »

Also the mission scenes?

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 05:56:53 AM »

Is fly female in your language, too? It is in Czech.

Yes. Smiley

Look better at Sadhill`s photos Cigar!

2., 3. and 4. picture - all interiors, and in all of them - there is a fly!

If the interiors was filmed in Rome, that confirms my "theory" about some "meaning" and Leone`s intention (that he did it intentionaly) even more! Afro   And totaly denys talks and opinions that this all was just an acciddent!

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 06:26:11 AM »

Also the mission scenes?

The mission interior was filmed at the Monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza, in Northern Spain just a few hundred metres from the bridge battle location.  Unfortunately Blondie's room appears to be in a derelict part of the monestary as can be seen by this photo taken in 2006, you can see the building in the background on the top of the hill which is visible through the window in Blondie's room.

and a link to a site about the monestary

http://www.arteguias.com/monasterio/arlanza.htm

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 06:44:59 AM »

Wow, thanks, Ramon! I knew this was somewhere in an old thread or on another site, but I wasn't able to find it...

Ramon
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 07:37:52 AM »

and here's a Google map link. Not very good resolution for this area but its just possible to make out the monestary in the centre of the image.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=42.049468,-3.466165&spn=0.010453,0.013282&t=k&z=16&om=1

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 07:40:34 AM by Ramon » Logged

Ramon

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 08:40:07 AM »

and here's a Google map link. Not very good resolution for this area but its just possible to make out the monestary in the centre of the image.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&q=&ll=42.049468,-3.466165&spn=0.010453,0.013282&t=k&z=16&om=1

I must say, it really isn't a very good resolution... but we should be grateful for what is. Thanks! I would love to go there one day...

Ramon
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »

The map option is probably more useful in this case as at least its possible to get the road map to the location.  It certainly is beautiful countryside around there and you have the monestary, POW camp, bridge battle and Sad Hill in the same area. Well worth visiting.

Ramon

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »

The map option is probably more useful in this case as at least its possible to get the road map to the location.  It certainly is beautiful countryside around there and you have the monestary, POW camp, bridge battle and Sad Hill in the same area. Well worth visiting.

Sure. Just once I get to Spain... no idea when it happens, but since I have a friend in Madrid...

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 04:03:58 PM »

I think the fly in Once/West is related to the flies in GBU, so nepotism documented.

There are two kinds of flies, my friend: those that get swatted and those with acting ambitions...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:05:06 PM by Cusser » Logged
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 03:15:02 AM »

The Fly is the real superstar.  Grin

In Hungarian substantives doesn't have a gender.  Wink

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: