Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 05:36:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What`s with the fly?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What`s with the fly?  (Read 18203 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 03:24:59 AM »

In Hungarian substantives doesn't have a gender.  Wink

They're called nouns in English... and they do have it in Czech. There's a story about a French actress who married a Czech actor (and eventually got divorced again) and had problems with the genders in Czech - "How can house be male? It's such a female thing!" Cheesy

The Fly is the real superstar.  Grin

In OUATITW it even had its stunt. Grin

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:27 AM »

There are two kinds of flies, my friend: those that get swatted and those with acting ambitions...

The Fly is the real superstar.  Grin

In OUATITW it even had its stunt. Grin

Come on, people!? Angry   Don`t uderestimate fly`s acting effort and "Oscar winning performance"! Grin

Hey!  Angry   Now to be serious! I said that the fly`s "participation" in Leone`s movies surely have some "meaning" and that "they" actually "representing" some kind of "simbol" (maybe simbol of death or dying) that Leone intentionaly put into his films.

Because no one denys my opinion with valid arguments, I`m still saying that "they" are not there by accident! That this was Leone`s intention and some kind of his "touch"...! If you analyse it a little, I think that you will came to the same conclusion...

So, like I said, don`t f**k with the fly! Grin

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:04:08 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 04:22:28 AM »

Well, I also feel they weren't there by accident, at least not in some scenes. I only said, that I felt the meaning was just adding to the Leone's dirty old West feeling... but who knows?

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2007, 07:54:17 AM »

I'd say they are there by accident or to give the scenes certain atmosphere. I guess you're alone with your theory, Bill, but I still appreciate it.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 02:53:10 AM »

I'd say they are there by accident or to give the scenes certain atmosphere. I guess you're alone with your theory, Bill, but I still appreciate it.

Thank you, Afro   but you should read whole this thread and think about it a little bit. Maybe you will then change your opinion, even a little. Smiley

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »

Thank you, Afro   but you should read whole this thread and think about it a little bit. Maybe you will then change your opinion, even a little. Smiley
I did read the whole thread. The fact that many indoor scenes were shot in Cinecita is quite interesting, but I wouldn't say that anything is sure.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 12:44:49 PM »

OK, whether the flies in GBU were happenstance or they added honey or something - they provide great realism and authenticity.  U.S. directors would've re-shot the scenes.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »

OK, whether the flies in GBU were happenstance or they added honey or something - they provide great realism and authenticity.  U.S. directors would've re-shot the scenes.

Yup, and that's what I hate. I love realism like this. Sergio obviously did as well. There was so many scenes in his films that U.S. director's probably would have reshot.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »

OK, whether the flies in GBU were happenstance or they added honey or something - they provide great realism and authenticity.

Exactly. So much that for first five viewings or so I even didn't actually notice they were there - I saw them, but it was so natural, that I didn't think about it.

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 11:34:29 PM »

Absolutely true! Smiley

Yup, and that's what I hate. I love realism like this. Sergio obviously did as well. There was so many scenes in his films that U.S. director's probably would have reshot.

I totally agree with you, my friend! Afro

Exactly. So much that for first five viewings or so I even didn't actually notice they were there - I saw them, but it was so natural, that I didn't think about it.

In SL movies, every single detail is important, every single detail have some meaning… Of course we must make an effort to saw every detail (and when ever you watch it again, for the “***” time, you see some new details that you didn`t saw before…) and then to try to understand what was SL intention and what was he trying to “say” with it…

What can you say more…, then - that`s Leone, one and only…! Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 01:05:21 AM »

and when ever you watch it again, for the “***” time, you see some new details that you didn`t saw before

Which is what makes them enjoyable even for the “***” time. As all of us know. Grin

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 05:07:00 AM »

Which is what makes them enjoyable even for the “***” time. As all of us know. Grin

Yes! Afro

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I don't have the time to read through 3 pages of stuff but I did enjoy the first, there is a fly crawling around the brim of AE's hat when he's having his "calm" brunch with Stevens.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 11:30:40 PM »

I agree that some of the flies in the Leone SWs are just "volunteers". Having said that, I think Leone may have had some sort of fixation with flies. Just look at the opening scene in OUATITW, and that fly was surely not a "volunteer".

More about flies here.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1992.0

sadhill
Bandido

"Un-k...Un-K......... There's no name on it."

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 09:44:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM