Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2021, 11:04:06 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Escape from Fort Bravo (1953)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Escape from Fort Bravo (1953)  ( 10401 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #15 : November 08, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »

Why not 57.5 out of 100?

Weasels! There are weasels posting to this board!

I think the Law of Diminishing Returns applies to your jokes Jenkins.

Saturday nights with Groggy
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #16 : May 27, 2016, 02:42:35 PM »

I actually liked everything up to the battle with the Indians or whatever you want to describe it as - it really bogged down the movie for me. I didn't think the love interest was that bad considering she had an ulterior motive, which is somewhat rare for westerns...but they didn't capitalize on it.

I didn't mind the studio shot night scenes because they look good. The movie is well directed as well - not among Sturges' best but solid.

This would have been much better had there been a large scale attack on the fort instead of the plodding standstill battle. Sure, I know it's not the most original conclusion or climax but the movie would have fared better.

I agree with Groggs when he criticized the script for giving characters traits through somewhat stilted dialog inatead of actually building strong characters.

A very generous 7 because the first hour is a respectably crafted piece of entertainment.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #17 : April 03, 2021, 08:31:36 AM »

ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO (1953) New 2021 1080p HD Master sourced from 4k scan of Original Camera Negative!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qptoqMzhnhM

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #18 : April 03, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

Hmm, I watched the old DVD a few years ago, which looked pretty ugly with bad colors. Also I thought that it was shot for the academy format, in the 1,85:1 aspect ratio the film looked often odd, the framing seemed to be wrong. And of course that is possible with a release date only 2 months after The Robe.

Likea all westerns by Sturges of the 50s I prefer this one to Mag 7.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19 : April 03, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »

Hmm, I watched the old DVD a few years ago, which looked pretty ugly with bad colors. Also I thought that it was shot for the academy format, in the 1,85:1 aspect ratio the film looked often odd, the framing seemed to be wrong. And of course that is possible with a release date only 2 months after The Robe.
IMDb lists 3 aspect ratios for the film: academy, 1.66: 1, and 1.75: 1. I suspect it was shot wide but "protected" for academy for theaters that hadn't yet switched over.

The credits in this intro suggest that wider framing is correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4NcgKCp-nA

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #20 : April 04, 2021, 03:18:50 AM »

IMDb lists 3 aspect ratios for the film: academy, 1.66: 1, and 1.75: 1. I suspect it was shot wide but "protected" for academy for theaters that hadn't yet switched over.

No, I assume the other way round, it was shot for an 1.37:1 release, but then released hastily in a wider format. Two named aspect ratios 1,66:1 and 1,75:1 (and both rather unusual in the USA) instead of the usual 1,85:1, would indicate that further imo.
Of course with an intended widescreen release the credits were done for the wider format. They indicate that widescreen was indeed the original aspect ratio for the theatrical release, but not that it was actually shot for that release. It is also possible that the format change was decided in the middle of the shooting.

I think all early films shot for these masked widescreen formats were shot protected for a possible open matte projecting.

The point is still that the DVD looked often quite odd in its framing. No obvious signs, like faces which were cut off on the top of the image, but it just felt wrong.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines