Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 06:09:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Venice Film Festival 2007 - Spaghetti Western Retrospective
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Venice Film Festival 2007 - Spaghetti Western Retrospective  (Read 4439 times)
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2007, 03:20:37 AM »

It has just been announced that this year at the Venice Film Festival (together with the Cannes Film Festival the most important european film festival), there will be a special section and screenings of spaghetti westerns.
Here is the list of the movies which will be shown:

http://www.labiennale.org/it/cinema/mostra/it/20609.1.html

Quentin Tarantino has been instrumental in organizing this retrospective:

http://www.labiennale.org/it/cinema/mostra/it/20609.4.html

Furthermore, it has been announced that a new and restored copy of Fistful of Dollars will be shown.
They have invited all directors, screenwriters, stuntmen etc who are still alive. Ennio Morricone apparently will get an award too.
Two brand new spaghetti westerns will be shown:
- Sukyaki Western Django by  Mike Takashi
- Searchers 2.0 by Alex Cox
The Venice Film Festival starts on August 29th and ends on Sept. 8th.
If any of you guys who reside outside Italy is planning a holiday in our country, it would be worth including Venice (which is a must anyway) in your trip... Wink

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:43:05 AM »

They say that it's like winning at lottery to be born in Finland but now I highly doubt that... I should have been born in Italy! Angry

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:54:50 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6917680.stm

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 01:18:31 AM »

As previously announced, Tim Burton will be given a lifetime achievement award...
Afro

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:29:34 AM »

I guess these will be in Italian with English subs?

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »

That list looks AMAZING!!   Afro

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »

if I was drunk enough I'd enjoy all of them, hootin' & hollerin'!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 05:34:26 AM »

And since nobody else seems to give a shit about the films they are playing...

Some of the dates on the list are wrong. I fixed them to the best of my knowledge.

I sette del Texas (Antes llega la muerte) (1964) di Joaquin Luis Romero Marchent- Boring film starring Richard Harrison. Notable only for being released before Leone's first spaghetti "Fistful Of Dollars" and for the excellent campy main theme "Gringo like Me" (Although it loses it's punch because it is sung by a different singer than the superior recorded version)

100.000 dollari per Ringo (1965) di Alberto De Martino- Haven't seen it

Il ritorno di Ringo (1965) di Duccio Tessari- Great film but slightly less enjoyable than it's "sequel" A PISTOL FOR RINGO. Strange Tarantino is not screening the first flick, I hear it is a favorite of his. I believe even one of our members (Frank's Harmonica) viewed a screening with QT at his house.

Ringo del Nebraska (1965) di Mario Bava e Antonio Román- Haven't seen

Un dollaro bucato (1965) di Giorgio Ferroni- Excellent early Gemma picture! Part of a trilogy "Un dollaro Bucato" (Blood on a silver Dollar), "Per Pochi Dollari Ancora" (Fort Yuma Gold) and "Wanted". Un Dollaro Bucato is the best of the three.

Django (1966) - Uncut - di Sergio Corbucci- No need for introduction. A Corbucci Classic.

The Bounty Killer (1966) di Eugenio Martin- Milian's first spaghetti western.
Sadly, I haven't seen it. Reviews are mixed.

La resa dei conti (1966) di Sergio Sollima- Overrated spaghetti western but still a classic nonetheless. Probably Van Cleef's best non-Leone performance.

Navajo Joe (1966) di Sergio Corbucci- Great popcorn Corbucci flick!
Sambrell shows he can play a main villain afterall! Unfortunatly the movie didn't convince his agent as he got stuck playing second baddie to the left in most pistures.

Sugar Colt (1966) di Franco Giraldi- Surprsingly gritty spaghetti western despite the silly title. Has moments of horror/suspense in it as I recall.

Un fiume di dollari (1966) di Carlo Lizzani- Wonderful movie. A classic I say. The two leads Silva and Hunter seem to be having a shouting match throughout the picture.

Yankee (1966) di Tinto Brass- Haven't seen it. I hear it's excellent.

10 000 dollari per un massacro (1967) di Romolo Guerrieri- Good Garko western which also stars Gian Maria Volonte's little brother Claudio Camaso as a villain. It is beyond me why QT chose to screen this one and not it's superior twin brother  "100,000 Per killing" (VENGEANCE IS MINE).

El Desperado (1967) di Franco Rossetti- Haven't seen it.

Il tempo degli avvoltoi (1967) di Nando Cicero- Wish I was going to show as I have wanted to see this supposed "violent, gritty sex filled spaghetti western" for a long time.

La morte non conta i dollari (1967) di Riccardo Freda- "Death at Owell Rock" haven't seen.

Se sei vivo spara (1967) - Uncut - di Giulio Questi- Overrated shit. It's a wonder this is even considered a classic. Works for the first 20 minutes then drags for the next hour and 20.

Ognuno per sé (1967) di Giorgio Capitani- Be watching soon. Supposed to be great.

Preparati la bara (1967) di Ferdinando Baldi- Just above average oater. Story doesn't build up to much but stick around for the grand finale in the cemetery!

Tepepa (1968) di Giulio Petroni- Boring Petroni entry. Starts off well but then it drags.

Una lunga fila di croci (1968) di Sergio Garrone- Great Steffen flick! Plot holes galore but it doesn't matter. Just sit back and enjoy this highly entertaining movie.

E Dio disse a Caino (1969) di Antonio Margheriti- Slow moving for some but engaging for others (I fall into the latter). The only draw back is the lenghty gunfight that has Kinski firing from windows or holes then ducking before return fire reaches him (yawn).

La taglia è tua l’uomo l’ammazzo io (1969) di Edoardo Mulargia- Robert Woods stars but I know little of this flick.

Lo chiamavano Trinità (1970) di Enzo Barboni- The slapstick comedy spaghetti that started them all. I'm not a fan really. Has some funny bits but it's not as funny as many fans make it out to be. The sequel is just awful!

Matalo! (1970) di Cesare Canevari- Trippy remake of "Kill The Wicked".
There's even shades of the American western "Yellow Sky".
Not for everybody but I love it.

Vamos a matar companeros (1970) di Sergio Corbucci- Corbucci's remake of his own "The Mercenary". Excellent picture although not as good as the original.

La vendetta è un piatto che si serve freddo (1971) di Pasquale Squitieri- Haven't seen it but it's supposed to be good.

Il grande duello (1972) di Giancarlo Santi- LVC's best spaghetti western of the 70's. Excellent action/mystery spaghetti! Soundtrack by Bacalov is superb!

Il mio nome è Shangai Joe (1973) di Mario Caiano- "East meets West" western that gets a lot of hate but I like it. The Kung-Fu is pretty mediocre but at least we get some really gory moments that sets it apart from most vehicles. Score is ripped from HAVE A GOOD FUNERAL SARTANA WILL PAY (and that ain't a bad thing!)

Una ragione per vivere e una per morire (1973) di Tonino Valerii- A lesser Valerii western. Slightly above average siege film starring James Coburn.
It has a "Dirty Dozen" type feel.

I quattro dell’apocalisse (1975) di Lucio Fulci- Another film that get's a lot of slack but I like it a lot. Not better than Fulci's excellent "Massacre Time" but still a great picture with a cool folky soundtrack.

Keoma (1976) di Enzo G. Castellari- A masterpeice!
Soundtrack gets groans from most of the fans, but again, I like the folky Leonard Cohen like tunes.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 08:24:25 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:41:13 AM »

This was part of the Venice Film Festival press kit on the Spaghetti Western Retrospective.  It included a list that's pretty much posted here already.  Besides the same list of films it listed two retrospective events.

Retrospective events
Una Questione poco privata - Conversazione con Giulio Questi (2007) by Gianfranco Pannone
Gonin no shokin kasegi (The Fort of Death, 1969) – di Kudo Eiichi

The articles at the referenced website seemed to be Italian only. 

The 64th Venice Film Festival and Telecom Progetto Italia
present the retrospective section

Spaghetti Westerns - The Secret History of Italian Cinema 4

The new series of screenings and restorations for the Secret History of Italian Cinema 4, part of the programme of the 64th Venice Film Festival (29th August - 8th September 2007), will be devoted to the Spaghetti Westerns. The Festival is directed by Marco Müller and organised by the Fondazione La Biennale di Venezia, chaired by Davide Croff. The project is realized by the Festival with Telecom Progetto Italia (the subsidiary of Gruppo Telecom Italia  that organises cultural events throughout the country, involving bodies, institutions and the public in the rediscovery of Italy’s cultural and artistic heritage), with the support of the Ministero per i Beni e le Attività Culturali, in partnership with Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia – Cineteca Nazionale and with the participation of Cineteca di Bologna, Cineteca del Friuli e Cineteca Lucana.

As part of the permanent activities and cultural holdings that have been rediscovered and restored, the selection of the Spaghetti Westerns represents the ideal continuation of the work undertaken with the Secret History of Italian Cinema, started in 2004, and which has, for the past four years, successfully revamped the recovery of the ‘invisible’ Italian cinema, alongside the parallel initiatives of the Secret History of Asian Cinema in 2005 and Secret History of Russian Cinema in 2006.

The Secret History of Italian Cinema 4 - Spaghetti Westerns programme is curated by Marco Giusti and Manlio Gomarasca, with L’Officina Filmclub (Paolo Luciani and Cristina Torelli), in collaboration with leading Italian and foreign scholars of films of this genre. It will include the screening of 31 Italian feature films (and of a surprising Japanese Spaghetti Western) during the 64th Venice Film Festival, selected on the basis of the relationship between great importance and high degree of ‘invisibility’: films that have not been in circulation for at least two decades, here restored and reconstructed in their integral version, which Telecom Progetto Italia will also support through an in-depth analysis activity on its own website www.telecomprogettoitalia.it.

As for the first edition of the Secret History of Italian Cinema in 2004, the “godfather” of this initiative will be the great American film-maker, Quentin Tarantino, a profound connoisseur and admirer of Italian cinema. Alongside Tarantino, directors, producers, actors, script-writers, photographic directors and stuntmen will also be present in Venice.

The appeal of the “Spaghetti Western”, our “Western in the Italian way”, more than 40 years after the release of Sergio Leone’s A fistful of dollars, seems as strong as ever, considering the homage recently paid to this genre from different directors, such as Tarantino, and also Martin Scorsese, Johnnie To and John Woo in their films. Spaghetti Westerns are the films that have done most to influence the image of popular cinema in the past few decades, and which have founded one of the most important currents in “New Cinema” (and political cinema) Italy has ever known.
The homage of the 64th Venice Film Festival to Spaghetti Westerns does not end with the retrospective of the Secret History of Italian Cinema 4: as occurred in 2006 with Johnnie To’s Exiled and with Piotr Uklanski’s Summer Love, there will be many contemporary and new references to the spaghetti Western present this year, offered as world premieres in the various sections of the Festival. There will be no lack of surprises in this regard, bearing witness to the still fruitful influence of the “Italian-style Western”, an infinite, timeless genre, on many film-makers from different continents. The two brand new spaghetti western presented in world premiere at the 64. Festival are Sukiyaki Western Django (2007) by Miike Takashi and Searchers 2.0 (2007) by Alex Cox.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:41:10 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

and Searchers 2.0 (2007) by Alex Cox.
Apparently in this movie by Alex Cox, the two main characters talk a lot about Sergio Leone and they run a sort of a contest to see who knows more about Leone's movies.
Apart from that, a new restored version of Fistful of Dollars will also be screened.
This new digitally remastered version will include a scene which was never shown before, i.e. a close up of Clint watching Ramon and his gang torturing Silvanito.
It will be screened on August 29th at 00,30 hrs at the Sala Grande and the next day at 13,15 hrs at the Palabiennale.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:34:28 PM by Leonardo » Logged
piribiriboing
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:14 PM »

Venice western retrospective special tomorrow on Raidue

http://www.raidue.rai.it/R2_popup_palinsesti/0,7460,29-08-2007^1,00.html
http://www.raidue.rai.it/HPRaiDue

visible free in Europe from Hotbird 13° East
http://www.lyngsat.com/hb8.html

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »

Apparently in this movie by Alex Cox, the two main characters talk a lot about Sergio Leone and they run a sort of a contest to see who knows more about Leone's movies.
Apart from that, a new restored version of Fistful of Dollars will also be screened.
This new digitally remastered version will include a scene which was never shown before, i.e. a close up of Clint watching Ramon and his gang torturing Silvanito.
It will be screened on August 29th at 00,30 hrs at the Sala Grande and the next day at 13,15 hrs at the Palabiennale.

Interesting.  He had this brief interview on his website to provide a little info on the film.  I guess the idea to do the film originated from his experience of having viewed OUATITW on a huge inflatable screen in Monument Valley.  Imagine that experience!  Guess he was aware they were planning a similar kind of showing of The Searchers commemorating its 50th in the same way and built his screenplay around the idea of two guys going to that showing.
http://www.alexcox.com/dir_searchers.htm

Official website for film
http://www.searchers2.com/

He has a page on his site about the Film Festival and some thoughts on some of the films.  May just be recycled from his book which I guess can be downloaded for free from site as pdf file.  Seems everyone may of checked that out already.
http://www.alexcox.com/venice.htm

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:43:22 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM