Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 08:01:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Seven Samurai (1954)   -13 (76.5%)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)   -4 (23.5%)
Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven  (Read 12178 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »

As we all know, "The Magnificent Seven" was a western remake of the samurai classic "Seven Samurai", directed by no other than the great Akira Kurosawa. John Sturges however did something special so few director's could ever imagine, and that's direct a remake that's worthy of recognition in it's own right.

Till this day, "Seven Samurai" is considered one of the greatest films ever made. A film so ahead of it's time in the action sense. Many action films that are being made today still don't compre. Akira combined a great story full of substance to go along with the outstanding and well crafted action sequences. This film defines what an EPIC film should look like and set a blue print of what action films or even EPICS should look like. This paved away for the western remake considered by many to be one of the greatest westerns ever made.

"The Magnificent Seven" is equally impressive in my opinion. The big EPIC scale locations were breathtaking and great to watch. This is a film that needs to be seen on the big screen. The film is brilliantly shot by John Sturges. This film is proof that John Sturges is a great director in his own right. The film also combines many actors who were all talented and many who would go on and have legendary careers. A film that could have so easily not worked because of the talent involved. Ego's obviously didn't take part. It's absolutely fun to watch actors like Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, and James Coburn work together and having a great time while doing it.

How can we not forget the brilliant score done by one of the greats, Elmer Bernstein. This score is so apart of the culture of America that you still here it on TV till this day. The score is so full of energy, and fit perfect with the action in this movie. A film score sometimes breaks a film, but it definitely helped in a big way make this!

It's rare that we get a film like "Seven Samurai" and a remake that's great in it's own right. Now, I'd like to know which film you all prefer.  Smiley

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:04:50 PM »

Kurosawa's films are always better than their western counterparts.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:35:53 PM »

When I first saw TMS I thought it was a pretty good western. Of course it is. But then I saw The Seven Samurai - that's something competely different...
Seven Samurai is an extremely beautiful movie, a real masterpiece. I think one of the greatest films ever made - in the neighborhood of OUATITW, Dreyer's Jeanne D'Arc, La Grande Illusion, Greed, The Godfather, La Strada etc.
Charakters in SS are much deeper and better acted. I think the only man of the Seven who's worthy to his original is Britt...

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »

Right on, Jill!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »

I think Magnificent Seven was more entertaining but Seven Samurai was a masterpiece.

My favorite however is Magnificent Seven.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »

I think Magnificent Seven was more entertaining but Seven Samurai was a masterpiece.

My favorite however is Magnificent Seven.

I agree with you completely Peacemaker. Samaurai Seven is no doubt a masterpiece, a film I love. However, I was more entertained with The Magnificent Seven, and being the western genre is my favorite, I'd have to go with this. Although I do think The Magnificent Seven is more than just entertainment. It's a pretty good piece of filmmaking as well.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »

Personally, I've always considered the "which one I think is the better film vs. which one is my favorite" debate to be absolute bullshit.  They're the same thing.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »

Personally, I've always considered the "which one I think is the better film vs. which one is my favorite" debate to be absolute bullshit.  They're the same thing.

Well a film can be artistic whereas another one can be much more entertaining.

I like Mag 7 more but only slightly.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »

Well a film can be artistic whereas another one can be much more entertaining.

I like Mag 7 more but only slightly.

I understand what you mean Peacemaker, i just don't share the same view.  Kurosawa is just abnormally excellent, despite his entertainment capability.  His films have a kind of hypnotizing aspect to them, just looking at 'em makes them entertaining (to me).  Especially after having seen them a couple of times.  There is no way i can understand his films watching them only once, so by the second time, i'm already entertained because i'm looking for stuff that i didn't get before.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 09:13:52 PM »

I understand what you mean Peacemaker, i just don't share the same view.  Kurosawa is just abnormally excellent, despite his entertainment capability.  His films have a kind of hypnotizing aspect to them, just looking at 'em makes them entertaining (to me).  Especially after having seen them a couple of times.  There is no way i can understand his films watching them only once, so by the second time, i'm already entertained because i'm looking for stuff that i didn't get before.

I think Seven Samurai is very entertaining too, I loved every minute of it. As I was watching the movie I thought, this is the movie John Ford would make if he made samurai flicks. There are so many things that reminded me of Ford's work, and it's understandable being that Kurosawa was a huge fan of his.

I just think that Mag 7 is more fun to watch. The acting and the soundtrack are the only things that make it slightly better IMO, but very very slightly.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »

You're wrong there.

I favor DYS but I can't help but realize Leone's best was a toss up between OUATIA, GBU and OUATITW.

put me down for MAG 7.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:19:02 PM »

They're both great films, and I think "The Magnificent Seven" deserves to be talked about alongside "Seven Samurai". Both are similar in terms of plot, but they have their differences which is cool.

Rojo Ramone
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:57:42 PM »

I voted SEVEN SAMURAI~
I never have been a fan of MAGNIFICENT 7

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »

when i think of the Magnificent Seven i think of cigarettes but thats me Grin

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 08:11:36 PM »

when i think of the Magnificent Seven i think of cigarettes but thats me Grin

hahaha interesting.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM