Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:17:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Seven Samurai (1954)   -13 (76.5%)
The Magnificent Seven (1960)   -4 (23.5%)
Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven  (Read 12201 times)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »

For me, it is Kurosawa's use of framing and camera movement. It's why I don't particularly appreciate Kurosawa's "Dreams" because gone are the wonderful circular movements (as used in the duels like Leone later emulated) and gone is the extreme framing with characters appearing out of the side of the screen as if somehow having been invisible to the other characters (as Leone would then also of course use as well).

I also love how Kurosawa builds the tension in his duels (like the one between Kyuzo and the peasant early on in Seven Samurai) with the action coming down to just one single sword movement - Leone of course just replaced the sword swipe with a gunshot.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »

For me, it is Kurosawa's use of framing and camera movement. It's why I don't particularly appreciate Kurosawa's "Dreams" because gone are the wonderful circular movements (as used in the duels like Leone later emulated) and gone is the extreme framing with characters appearing out of the side of the screen as if somehow having been invisible to the other characters (as Leone would then also of course use as well).

I also love how Kurosawa builds the tension in his duels (like the one between Kyuzo and the peasant early on in Seven Samurai) with the action coming down to just one single sword movement - Leone of course just replaced the sword swipe with a gunshot.
Excellent points.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 03:03:43 PM »

Excellent points.  Afro
excellent observation dave  Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »

Quote from:
sargatanas link=topic=6162.msg158892#msg158892 date=1344719023
excellent observation dave  Afro
That puts it about as well as it can be.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

great cinematography can't fix a movie an annoying scene. However wonderfully it's photographed, almost every scene in the first two hours of the movie is of a bunch of people crying. Crying and crying and cryinfg. Endlessly. Crying and whining. It's tough to bear.

In The Mag 7, you still definitely feel the plight of the peasants, without having to endure 2 hours of crying. I think Seven Samurai could have been made better if an hour of crying had been removed from  it.

Mag 7 is a good movie (i'd give it an 8/10); Seven Samurai was torturous to sit through

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:26:50 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »

Seven Samurai for me. The Magnificent Seven was good, but at times it all felt forced in that these characters were just remaking it, instead of putting their own stamp on it [which they did at times].
Seven Samurai = 4/5 stars
The Magnificent Seven = 3.5/5 stars

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM