Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:00:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Vivienne Chandler!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vivienne Chandler!  (Read 23175 times)
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2007, 04:55:08 PM »

August 6, 2007

Dear James,

I have at last had the time, after streams of visitors (I live in the South of France and it is
a popular holiday destination for friends and family!) to sit down and watch the film. It was
very strange to watch it again and it brought back many memories. Also strange for me as James
Coburn, David Warbeck and of course Sergio are now all dead. I have two copies of the film-
one I bought in France as I suddenly saw it- and one someone very kindly sent me.
I was surprised to see that neither David or I got a credit! Unless I missed it, but I don't think so.
Do you know why?

My second career manifested itself as I had always been fascinated with image- making and always
watched carefully whenever I worked on films and now slightly regret not getting myself firmly
on the other side of the camera sooner! When I had small children, photography was a much easier
thing for me to do. Acting work is very often last minute stuff and I never thought it combined well
with being a dedicated mum. I have just bought a Canon XL2 and I am going to make some films myself now,
at long last.  I have never exhibited my work in the states but I would if I was invited to.

I learned of the role in Duck You Sucker by being called in for an audition at the Dorchester Hotel
in London. I was told that Sergio saw hundreds of actresses for the part and I was called back several times.
I remember that the last time it was between myself and another actress and he had me on the balcony
scrutinizing me through his lense - he knew what he wanted, and boy, he was going to get it right!
Then he told me it was me he wanted. So I flew to Dublin and met James Coburn. There were actually
some other scenes we did on horseback but they were never used. James and I were on one horse and David on
another. For that final scene we did umpteen takes of course, and the field was full of bumps and pot
holes and I twisted my ankle. I remember being in the hotel and a doctor binding up my ankle-
it was agony- so consequently I had to be carried onto the set by a huge strong Italian who
plonked me down and then I just got on with it- smiling!! Sergio was very precise in his directions and
we just kept on doing it until he got what he wanted. No, there was no playback music as far as I can remember.
It was definitely a "menage a trois" kind of idea.
I feel that it was underlining the closeness of the friendship between John and Sean- which makes
the betrayal all the more shocking for John. They were close enough to share this woman and Sean
surely nods in approval before being shot. This is the darkness Sergio was portraying, devastation
and waste, the futility of politics. For Sergio to have put this beautiful scene in last and eeking it out oh
so very slowly in juxtaposition with the waste of life that has just gone before him (including his own)-
is very significant and a big statement. It is a dark and sad film in reality. I wonder what was going
on in his own life at the time?

I found Sergio absolutely charming and a good communicator. He took me out to dinner with one
of the producers I clearly remember, in Dublin. I can remember him telling me I had star quality
and I should go to Rome!!! Maybe I should have done.....!

Please, if I have left anything out, don't hesitate to ask again. I do hope that this has been of some
help and interest.

I have some black and white photos from the film. When I get my scanner up and running
I could mail them to you if it is of any interest.

Best Wishes.
Vivienne Chandler

PS  Does anyone know when and how David died? He was a friend but we had lost touch sometime
ago.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:32:13 PM by geoman-1 » Logged
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »

Thanks! 

That part about another flashback of them on horseback is especially interesting. Thank you Mrs. Chandler for that response.   Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »

That's awesome! Great work Geoman. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »

Reply:

August 6, 2007

Hi Vivienne,

I wanted to express my sincerest gratitude for your thoughtful and insightful responses to the
interview questions.
I was astonished that you and David were not mentioned in either the opening
or ending credits.
You and David's roles were very pivotal in the story line and it is unfathomable that
no mention is made of either one of you.

It was fascinating to read your behind-the-scenes stories. These represent priceless
"snapshots" of an era of fine film-making by one of the finest directors of our time.
I wholeheartedly agree with your supposition regarding Leone's mindset during that
period. It was one of his darker, but in my opinion, one of his finest and endearing films.
I firmly believe he had quite fine taste when he chose you over the many who auditioned!

Sadly, David passed away in London in 1997 after a short battle with cancer at the age of 56.
In the 70's through the 90's he had quite a prolific career in the horror film genre.

I am excited to hear that you are expanding your talents into the film medium. I'll be looking
forward to seeing your name once again on the silver screen.
If your photography skills carry over into film making, I believe your career will be nothing
short of successful.

Regarding the photos, I would be extremely appreciative. If you send them via e-mail
I would like to post them on the forum, if permissible.

I have several contacts at the Carnegie Museum Of Art located here in Pittsburgh.
Would you be interested in possibly exhibiting your work here? You can check them out
at http://www.cmoa.org/.

As I mentioned in our earlier correspondence, I will be posting the interview on the S.L. website.
Shortly after, I am going to start a message board so all of our members can express their thanks
and appreciation for your time, effort, and above all your graciousness. I will e-mail the link to you
in a few days so you can peruse it, if you choose.

Again Vivienne, thank you for your time. I have thoroughly enjoyed corresponding with
you.

Sincerely

Jim

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:29:23 PM by geoman-1 » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:33:03 PM »

Great bit of primary research, Geoman-1. Way to go! Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »

I can't wait to receive the photos! She is an unbelievably cool person! Afro

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

Geoman, thank you for all your work and efforts to contact and obtain a response from Vivienne.  Her letter was quite interesting.  It's a really nice contribution to the board.  Thanks again.  Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »

way to go man! Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 06:47:40 PM »

This is, by far, the best post I have read yet Afro

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 03:15:40 AM »

Poor David.  Sad

Vivienne is really a very cool lady!  Afro I loved these stories.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:59 PM »

What can I say: priceless! Thank you, James!

Who knew about those cut scenes on horseback?
Now those unique pictures. Hope she follows through.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 05:30:43 AM »

Thanks guys. I'm glad she came through for us. She provided us some very interesting
insight into this film. Now, if you could, please post your comments/thank you's on the
"Thank You..." thread. I will be forwarding the link to her in a few days!! Thanks!!

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »

Noice!

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »

Wow, this is amazing!!!! Thank you so much geoman for tracking Vivien down. And you know what I love, she refers to Mallory as JOHN!!!! That clears things up for me. I've always thought it was John, but some people are just hard headed. hahaha. She sounds so down to earth and sincere. What a wonderful woman. It's to bad she didn't pursue acting as a career shortly after. I think she had the looks and talent to do so. Sergio was right! Thanks again geoman.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »

The letter was very nicely written.  You can tell from her response that she's a very personable and caring person.  I liked her descriptions of Leone. Very consistent with what we've seen in other interviews by other actors and production people.  She points out how determined, focused and dedicated to his craft he was in her recollections.  The information on the deleted scenes is also very interesting.  I wonder if that has been discussed anywhere else....like somewhere in Something To Do With Death...

I guess it always seems difficult to discuss the Mallory and Nolan characters at the same time and make reference distinctions for the two.  Will have to count me as one of the hard headed.  Might not be such a bad thing to be in reading the various threads on the issue.  The wall won't hurt the head as much.  Smiley  

When Sergio Leone, the director, refers to the character in interviews as Sean Mallory, along with the other factual information within the film....that's still the final say for me.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 11:02:51 AM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM