Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:40:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Braveheart (1995)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Braveheart (1995)  (Read 12048 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 09:52:57 AM »

Fight fight fight!  Evil

hahahahaaha. FRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Nakadai
Bandido

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »

As much as it sickens me to even look at Mel Gibson the man these days, I must admit Braveheart is an absolutely  wonderful film.  It's one I find myself never tiring of, and generally always give it a look see when strolling by it during my infrequent channel surfings.

It's hard to say what grabs me about it, it's more the overall feel of it all. Not quite that of Kubrick's Spartacus, but epic still.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »

As much as it sickens me to even look at Mel Gibson the man these days, I must admit Braveheart is an absolutely  wonderful film.  It's one I find myself never tiring of, and generally always give it a look see when strolling by it during my infrequent channel surfings.

It's hard to say what grabs me about it, it's more the overall feel of it all. Not quite that of Kubrick's Spartacus, but epic still.

Kubrick's Spartacus is a wonderful film but extremely flawed. I think Braveheart is a step up from that film.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Nakadai
Bandido

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 10:53:47 PM »

Flawed yes, but it has a timelessness and wonderment for me that Braveheart just can't meet. I'll admit, a good portion of that stems from watching and loving it as a kid. Also let's face it, Kirk Douglas is way cooler than Gibson ever will be. You could pound six inch spikes with his chin alone, that right there is just how badass he is.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM »

Flawed yes, but it has a timelessness and wonderment for me that Braveheart just can't meet. I'll admit, a good portion of that stems from watching and loving it as a kid. Also let's face it, Kirk Douglas is way cooler than Gibson ever will be. You could pound six inch spikes with his chin alone, that right there is just how badass he is.

Well, Spartacus is a definite classic. It's one of my favorite films and I do agree that it is timeless. Braveheart in my opinion will only get better with age. I think people years from now will think it's timeless just as we think Spartacus is. I'm just a big fan of the film as you can see so you know where I'm coming from. I've talked to countless people who have the same beliefs as me about the film. Of course there is people like you I've talked to who do not feel the same way but I do enjoy debating them about it. It makes the subject a lot more fun.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »

While "Spartacus" has its fair share of flaws, as I'm sure Dave is chomping at the bit to point out, it's definitely a superior film to "Braveheart", at least on an artistic level. As good as most of the actors in "Braveheart" are, the entire cast is made up of cartoonish stereotypes (the British characters being the most obvious, but far from the only example) and the story and conflicts depicted lack real depth or complexity. "Spartacus" has well-rounded characters, a very literate script, and depth in story and ideas which "Braveheart" altogether lacks. It is not as cerebral as it could have been had Trumbo or Kubrick's original vision(s) been completely preserved, but for a popular film it is still remarkably intelligent and remains pertinent today. "Braveheart" is basically a very well-made period action film, but not much else. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, I just don't think it deserves to be called a truly great film. Feel the same way about "Gladiator", which on many levels is "Spartacus Lite", but that's another thread that we've already discussed.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2007, 03:39:31 AM »

Groggy's nailed it. Although I'm not a big fan of Spartacus, it is clearly superior to Braveheart. All you have to do is compare the scores......

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2007, 09:20:48 AM »

The Alex North score is great....particularly the love theme.  Quite a few great artists like Bill Evans have covered that one.  I'm also in agreement with Groggy.  Spartacus is definitely the better film of the three.  I guess one needs to accept it for what it is.  He was basically a replacement director.  He didn't have the creative control over the project to make it a more personal vision.  There are historical inaccuracies.  It definitely isn't one of his best films....but it's still a fine film.  I really disliked Gladiator and was quite surprised by the acclaim the film received.  I have a better view of Braveheart than Gladiator.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:32:33 AM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »

Not me. I like Gladiator above the others.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 01:13:53 PM »

I suspect it's because you've never seen Fall of the Roman Empire.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
KevinJCBJK
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »

I suspect it's because you've never seen Fall of the Roman Empire.

One part I find most memerable in that movie is when that guy got his head cut off.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2007, 01:29:37 PM »

One part I find most memerable in that movie is when that guy got his head cut off.

The whole damn film is MEMORABLE.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »

The whole damn film is MEMORABLE.

I haven't seen The Fall of the Roman Empire in a long time, but I will always remember that decapitation, I didn't think they do that in the 60's.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »

I haven't seen The Fall of the Roman Empire in a long time, but I will always remember that decapitation, I didn't think they do that in the 60's.

I was talking about Braveheart as a whole being MEMORABLE. Sorry, that was my mixup.

KevinJCBJK
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 01:34:42 PM »

I was talking about Braveheart as a whole being MEMORABLE. Sorry, that was my mixup.

I remember back in middle school this kid and I were having a debate which film was more violent, Braveheart or Gladiator.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM