Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:52:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATITW cd soundtrack....what about including sound effects?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATITW cd soundtrack....what about including sound effects?  (Read 1365 times)
marqkin
« on: August 11, 2007, 06:25:48 AM »

I was sitting listening to my OUATITW extended soundtrack the other day....the sun shining....nice and peaceful....and the thought occurred to me that it would, perhaps, have been a good idea to include the wonderful, atmospheric sound effects used by Leone at the beginning of the film....
Many fans would perhaps agree that the best use of 'natural' sound effects that Leone used, was in the first few minutes of 'OUATITW' - the grating water wheel...the buzzing fly...the water dripping on Woody Strode's hat...Al Mulock's cracking knuckles.....
I simply think that - with Leone placing such emphasis on sounds in his films - that this particular few minutes of what I would call 'a masterpiece' of sound/live action - it should have been included (even just a couple of minutes lifted directly from the film) at the beginning of the extended soundtrack....
To prove my theory, I sat - with eyes closed - and LISTENED to the opening few minutes of 'OUATITW'....no visuals, simply the sound effects....brilliant! I then started playing the soundtrack, with the beautiful vocalisation by Edda Del Orso....
....what a combination!
I like the idea - especially with Leone's films - of including some sound effects, interspersed with the actual music.....
I really do think that it adds that little bit extra to an already great listening experience....especially if you are dreaming of the hot, dusty, flea and bullet-ridden West, while sitting indoors listening to the rain and wind outside....
Adios for now....

geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:59:57 AM »

Absolutely agree Marqkin. The background "noises" should be incorporated into the
soundtrack CD as it was in the film.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM